Updated with a picture.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 10:03   #17

Boat: Clark, San Juan 7.7
Re: An "Exciting" Weekend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Updated with a picture.
Perfect, I'll go out on the next nasty rainy day with no wind (and hopefully no observers) and practice
Goodkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 10:06   #18

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
The deep keel Chris Mac shows is less common, you may have the shoal draft (more easily trailerable) version.
I have to question this. Mine was the original 4' draft and previous owner added a shoe. Making it close to 4'6. The only info I can find online states later models came with a 4'6 draft with more ballast. As far as I know the 7.7 never came with a shoal draft.
The 26 did, but it was more like a trunk with a centreboard.
Goodkat.. I haven't ever seen a keel like that on a 7.7??? Very strange.
Do you know if it was modified at some point?
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 10:20   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post
I have to question this. Mine was the original 4' draft and previous owner added a shoe. Making it close to 4'6. The only info I can find online states later models came with a 4'6 draft with more ballast. As far as I know the 7.7 never came with a shoal draft.
I really have no idea. It's a 1980 model, and I don't believe the gent I bought it from actually ever sailed it. There were all sorts of parts and updates I definitely would have mentioned if I were the one selling it. It appears the owner BEFORE him made most of the changes and probably raced it (came with a 6 sail inventory).

For example, it appears all of the chainplates, shrouds, and other standing rigging are brand new/installed. There were also a couple Harken ratchet pulleys that retail for $200ish each just sitting in a box, a new mast sleeve, various bits and bobs that most people would have taken with them or sold. He also forgot to secure the jib that should have been on the boat when I purchased it, which led to it being shredded in a windstorm at Shilshole (about 2-3 days before I ended up buying it). I'm now using the 135% genoa (or....155....really cant tell, I'm a newbie). It was labeled 135, but seems massive.

My keel looks rather thin and long compared to others I've seen, especially now that I'm looking at your picture and the side profile on sailboatdata
Old 04-03-2019, 10:28   #20

Optical illusion perhaps?

Here's another angle. I was trying to film the hull, specifically, when I did this, so didn't get good shots of the keel. Now I want to go back and look at it again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	keel 3.JPG
Views:	325
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	187176  
Attached Images

Old 04-03-2019, 10:57   #21

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Maybe an optical illusion. Keel 3 looks right(similar to mine) I noticed on keel2 some growth. That might have been what changed the profile in keel1.
Nice score on the extra sails. I usually go with our 110. But it is a high performance (racing) sail the previous owner bought. We also have the original jib(I have never used it) and a genoa. I think it's a 135.
But the spinaker is the star. It is,a lot of fun to fly. But also a lot more work.
Oh, and ours is 1980 as well:-)
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 11:05   #22

Wow.

Tricky slip.

Will get easier as you develop "the technique".
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 12:07   #23

Quote:
Maybe an optical illusion. Keel 3 looks right(similar to mine) I noticed on keel2 some growth. That might have been what changed the profile in keel1.
Nice score on the extra sails. I usually go with our 110. But it is a high performance (racing) sail the previous owner bought. We also have the original jib(I have never used it) and a genoa. I think it's a 135.
But the spinaker is the star. It is,a lot of fun to fly. But also a lot more work.
Oh, and ours is 1980 as well:-)
I should probably dive down and measure it, I'm curious if mine has the shoe or not now.

As for the spinaker, I'll probably stick with the jib until I better understand some of the fundamentals before throwing a kite out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
Wow.

Tricky slip.

Will get easier as you develop "the technique".
Fingers crossed
Old 04-03-2019, 13:00   #24

Boat: 1987 Sabre 42 C/B

google/youtube using spring lines. with a cleat or temporary attachment point in the middle of your boat (as mentioned) you can control and counter the wide blowing the boat away from the pier. Most of the work in docking will be done before hand. Come up with a plan before you ever leave the dock. Learn and practice so you are prepared for the next time you encounter these winds again. And NOBODY is immune to a mistake docking. Keep your head up and keep learning. That is one of the great things about sailing...You are never done learning.

From your docking situation leaving in a strong cross wind will also be challenging. Remember to plan ahead for that one also before untying the lines.

Good luck and keep practicing.

Foster
flee27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 13:04   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by flee27 View Post
google/youtube using spring lines. with a cleat or temporary attachment point in the middle of your boat (as mentioned) you can control and counter the wide blowing the boat away from the pier. Most of the work in docking will be done before hand. Come up with a plan before you ever leave the dock. Learn and practice so you are prepared for the next time you encounter these winds again. And NOBODY is immune to a mistake docking. Keep your head up and keep learning. That is one of the great things about sailing...You are never done learning.

From your docking situation leaving in a strong cross wind will also be challenging. Remember to plan ahead for that one also before untying the lines.

Good luck and keep practicing.

Foster
I've watched videos about using a springline to get away from the dock in a crosswind, never thought about using one to get INTO the mooring. I'll have to get my head into it a bit more than I estimated.

Couldn't agree with you more about the learning part, I've had my head stuck in books and Youtube for the past 4 months nearly 2-3 hours a day, in addition to the hour or so we spend fixing things up. Always something else to do haha

Thanks for the advice
Old 04-03-2019, 13:19   #26

Boat: Catalina 36 MKI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodkat View Post
I've watched videos about using a springline to get away from the dock in a crosswind, never thought about using one to get INTO the mooring. I'll have to get my head into it a bit more than I estimated.

Couldn't agree with you more about the learning part, I've had my head stuck in books and Youtube for the past 4 months nearly 2-3 hours a day, in addition to the hour or so we spend fixing things up. Always something else to do haha

Thanks for the advice
Although watching Youtube and reading books is great to learn the theory of sailing and boat handling, the only way to learn both is by doing. This will probably entail making lots of mistakes, but that's OK, that's how you get experience.
The main thing is to not to get (too) stressed out and start shouting, etc, and talk it over with your partner after the event with a nice drink in hand.
De.windhoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 13:41   #27

I will try to come up with a picture to help explain. Basically you need a spring line attached to the center (ish) of your boat. Have a person at the bow of the boat and approach the entrance of you slip. The person at the bow will need to loop the spring around the cleat (or easier the piling if you have one). If you have pre-planned and know the length you need then for the spring you just need a BIG loop in the end to loop around the piling or cleat. If not you need a long enough line that the bow person can loop the line around the cleat/piling and hold onto the end of the rope to control its length. Once this spring is attached you can motor forward against the spring while steering a little to port(adjust amount to keep the boat parallel to the dock) and the boat will move next to your pier. You can leave the motor in forward and the boat will stay securely against the dock. Then you crew or yourself can get off the boat and finish securing it.
Old 04-03-2019, 13:43   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by flee27 View Post
I will try to come up with a picture to help explain. Basically you need a spring line attached to the center (ish) of your boat. Have a person at the bow of the boat and approach the entrance of you slip. The person at the bow will need to loop the spring around the cleat (or easier the piling if you have one). If you have pre-planned and know the length you need then for the spring you just need a BIG loop in the end to loop around the piling or cleat. If not you need a long enough line that the bow person can loop the line around the cleat/piling and hold onto the end of the rope to control its length. Once this spring is attached you can motor forward against the spring while steering a little to port(adjust amount to keep the boat parallel to the dock) and the boat will move next to your pier. You can leave the motor in forward and the boat will stay securely against the dock. Then you crew or yourself can get off the boat and finish securing it.
Got it! So the midships springline is measured in order to stop the boat from proceeding forward past a set distance (aka before we hit the overhead dock ramp), and the outboard would power the back end towards the dock as the center cleat/dock cleat keep it pressed up against the dock?

A bit like this gent does?

Old 04-03-2019, 13:53   #29

Exactly like that. You got it. Now just practice. I would set the boat up for this a practice it when it is calm.

In you situation you would turn wide past your slip so the bow is angled towards the end of your finger pier. As you motor forward the wind will be pushing your bow down but with good timing will leave your bow person a little time to hook the spring line. Basically they has the length of the spring from the bow to mid ships to get the spring hooked on. As long as they keep calm (practice comes in) this should not be a problem. Again, once that spring is secure everything is relaxed and calm-and most importantly safe. And as a bonus, next time all those people watching the beautiful sunset will be amazed with your awesome boat handling skills. (insert the scene from Capt. Ron movie)

You got this...
Old 04-03-2019, 13:57   #30

Quote:
Yes you are correct. I confused the 26 with the ... err... 26!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote