Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2019, 13:58   #31

Boat: Clark, San Juan 7.7
Re: An "Exciting" Weekend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flee27 View Post
Exactly like that. You got it. Now just practice. I would set the boat up for this a practice it when it is calm.

In you situation you would turn wide past your slip so the bow is angled towards the end of your finger pier. As you motor forward the wind will be pushing your bow down but with good timing will leave your bow person a little time to hook the spring line. Basically they has the length of the spring from the bow to mid ships to get the spring hooked on. As long as they keep calm (practice comes in) this should not be a problem. Again, once that spring is secure everything is relaxed and calm-and most importantly safe. And as a bonus, next time all those people watching the beautiful sunset will be amazed with your awesome boat handling skills. (insert the scene from Capt. Ron movie)

You got this...
Fantastic! Thanks

I'll need to watch this Capt Ron movie. Seen it mentioned a million times over at Sailing Anarchy, must be some joke I'm missing

Goodkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 14:07   #32

Boat: Sailing club & Chartering for the time being.

You definitely have to watch Capt. Ron. You will know the docking scene when you see it.

flee27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 14:21   #33

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

Quote:
You definitely have to watch Capt. Ron.
"flip over those bumpers..... what, what, are bumpers? Those rubber bumpy things........ Hold on........ we're coming in to fast.........

Swish, swish, swish...........

Do you see that? That was cool....... I was a bit nervous about that........

What can I get you? A margarita, I guess........

To the OP, your slip sucks....... sorry.
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 14:36   #34

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

You don't need to watch the whole movie, here it is:

Funny stuff, Get the movie......... It'll change your life.
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 14:56   #35

Boat: 1980 san juan 7.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Yes you are correct. I confused the 26 with the ... err... 26!
No problem. It gave me a chance to go over the history of Clark builders again. Stuff I haven't read or researched since I bought the boat. It's always good to refresh what I think I know:-/
chris mac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 15:08   #36

Docking 101 DOCKING 101 -- Mid Ship Cleat and Aft Spring [includes a link in Reply #1 to a very good single handed topic]

Single Handing 101 Single handing & Bull Rails

Single Handing 101.1 Midship Cleats Pictures Midship cleat PHOTOS / Flix

Single Handing 101.2 HOPPING OFF THE BOAT IS UNNECESSARY
Single handing & Bull Rails
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 15:14   #37

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Goodkat,

It will help if you get your dock lines and fenders

ready before you go into the marina. Then, your good lady can step off with the spring line, first, secure to aftmost cleat, then pull the stern in, also to the aft most cleat. Then, walk forward, grab the fwd dock line, and secure it fwd. The method depends on your getting the boat close enough for her to step off easily and confidently, so you will need to have enough way on to keep from getting blown off. It is more than you might be comfortable with, but you lose steerage when you go too slow. Once the midships line is secure, you will be able to steer the boat using it to keep you close to the dock.

You guys might benefit from sailing lessons on your own boat, so that you have an idea of what to expect.

Ann
Old 04-03-2019, 16:03   #38

Boat: 1995 Albin 28TE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodkat View Post
Fantastic! Thanks
Also consider leaving the spring line attached to the dock instead of taking it with you each time you leave the dock. With the boat in the slip, set the spring line to the perfect length. *The loop will be on the boat cleat.* Cleat the free end to the dock cleat. When you leave the dock, leave the loop end neatly laid out along the dock. As you approach the dock, use a boat hook to pick up the loop and set it over the boat cleat. If you can thread it up through the cleat and over the ears, even better, but that can be done later. The main point is to fasten that spring line to the boat to stop the forward movement.

I think it's a lot easier to pick up a loop from a dock than to use a boat hook to drop a loop over a cleat on the dock.

For backup, have a line attached to the mid-ship cleat in case you miss picking up the spring line from the dock. It's a helpless feeling to come into a slip with no lines at the ready.
nwh10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 17:50   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Docking 101 DOCKING 101 -- Mid Ship Cleat and Aft Spring [includes a link in Reply #1 to a very good single handed topic]

Single Handing 101 Single handing & Bull Rails

Single Handing 101.1 Midship Cleats Pictures Midship cleat PHOTOS / Flix

Single Handing 101.2 HOPPING OFF THE BOAT IS UNNECESSARY
Single handing & Bull Rails
Thanks for the links! I'll give those a look/try. All these recommendations make me want to go experiment

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Goodkat,

It will help if you get your dock lines and fenders

ready before you go into the marina. Then, your good lady can step off with the spring line, first, secure to aftmost cleat, then pull the stern in, also to the aft most cleat. Then, walk forward, grab the fwd dock line, and secure it fwd. The method depends on your getting the boat close enough for her to step off easily and confidently, so you will need to have enough way on to keep from getting blown off. It is more than you might be comfortable with, but you lose steerage when you go too slow. Once the midships line is secure, you will be able to steer the boat using it to keep you close to the dock.

You guys might benefit from sailing lessons on your own boat, so that you have an idea of what to expect.

Ann
Will do. And we did consider lessons on our boat (took a few lessons on an instructor's boat earlier, but he didn't cover docking). I'm sure it would be beneficial, as long as we can afford it

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwh10 View Post
Also consider leaving the spring line attached to the dock instead of taking it with you each time you leave the dock. With the boat in the slip, set the spring line to the perfect length. *The loop will be on the boat cleat.* Cleat the free end to the dock cleat. When you leave the dock, leave the loop end neatly laid out along the dock. As you approach the dock, use a boat hook to pick up the loop and set it over the boat cleat. If you can thread it up through the cleat and over the ears, even better, but that can be done later. The main point is to fasten that spring line to the boat to stop the forward movement.

I think it's a lot easier to pick up a loop from a dock than to use a boat hook to drop a loop over a cleat on the dock.

For backup, have a line attached to the mid-ship cleat in case you miss picking up the spring line from the dock. It's a helpless feeling to come into a slip with no lines at the ready.
That's a new idea, I'll have to give the boat hook to wifey and see what she prefers (picking it up off dock, or dropping line over cleat)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flee27 View Post
You definitely have to watch Capt. Ron. You will know the docking scene when you see it.
I actually just watched it, and pretty sure I know everything about sailing now. Appreciate the advice guys, but I'll just rewatch this movie a few times and should be good

I didn't actually intend to finish the movie btw....but it has a strange pull, so bad it's good!
Old 06-03-2019, 07:52   #40

I went back out to the boat yesterday and took some more pics of the strange sail "wrap" that came apart during our trip. It appears to be a very thin layer of plasticky sheet, and it's only on one side of the sail. The clear film is what I am referring to (the white behind it is the actual sail cloth).

I also uploaded a pic showing the other side (image with the black telltale), on which there is no covering
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190305_154904.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	402.6 KB
ID:	187376   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190305_154857.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	386.7 KB
ID:	187377  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190305_154834.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	406.4 KB
ID:	187378  
Old 06-03-2019, 08:46   #41
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post
No problem. It gave me a chance to go over the history of Clark builders again. Stuff I haven't read or researched since I bought the boat. It's always good to refresh what I think I know:-/
Yeah, I was down to Clark's a few times when they were open and raced on 21, 24, 28, 30's for years.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 08:47   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodkat View Post
I went back out to the boat yesterday and took some more pics of the strange sail "wrap" that came apart during our trip. It appears to be a very thin layer of plasticky sheet, and it's only on one side of the sail. The clear film is what I am referring to (the white behind it is the actual sail cloth).

I also uploaded a pic showing the other side (image with the black telltale), on which there is no covering
That appears to be one of the mylar or etc early racing sails maybe, ? and it's breaking down or something..

Old 06-03-2019, 08:55   #43

Quote:
That appears to be one of the mylar or etc early racing sails maybe, ? and it's breaking down or something..
Mmmm. So it's delaminating from the fabric backing, it appears. Ugh
Old 06-03-2019, 09:06   #44
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I'm just not sure what the heck it is. Some sails were laminated. It may be fine with it off there. I would ask a sailmaker what the heck is going on. But it's not on the entire sail right? So my theory may be all wet... or it is on the whole sail but only coming loose in that area maybe...

Old 06-03-2019, 09:21   #45

Quote:
I'm just not sure what the heck it is. Some sails were laminated. It may be fine with it off there. I would ask a sailmaker what the heck is going on. But it's not on the entire sail right? So my theory may be all wet... or it is on the whole sail but only coming loose in that area maybe...
I'll need to raise the sail and take a closer look. I had it in my living room when I converted it from a luff to hank on (easier for me to raise singlehanded), and I didn't notice that stuff over the entire sail. Just the portion near the foot