Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2016, 19:56   #196

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36
Re: Zika and adult brain damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
You may like reading this:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0915164905.htm

No comment,
b.
7 paragraphs with one or two sentences.
eleven person journal references with edits for style and length.
Blood sample nearly 2 years old in Haiti, where refrigeration is questionable...
Dates of 1954 reference, 2015 blood , from 2014 campaign, printed in 2016.
Fever, belly ache, joint pain.... I get that with my arthritis.
If I had written that article for the nuns in my grade school they would have had me rewriting it due to style , length, content , and innuendo , with lack of pertinent content.
That's not journalism , its propaganda....
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
thruska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 20:25   #197

Quote:
Originally Posted by thruska View Post
Chaya please spare me the guilt trip regarding the shrunken baby heads. There is , as ive pointed out before, plenty of ' first hand news reports' �� citing shrunken heads being caused by heavy spraying of chemicals coincidentally in the areas of the happenstance of shrunken heads. Thats where i leave my beliefs. Lay that guilt on the chemical companies . I have read that the shrunken heads are not caused by Zika and no one has proven thatwith a reliable source that hasnot been disproven.
That being said, i will no longer argue this point with you as its a stalemate and neither one of us will capitulate to the others views. Its what i believe not what i claim but the claims that i ve read and poited out. In regard to first hand nees reports, if you mean the evening news on tv , i wont even comment onthatthrash.

I hope the weather is nice where you are ...
Please note im not making any remark of malevolence nor raising my voice nor insinuate you are wrong . Its my belief and you have your
Prosit!

We are in process of putting the horstman to water in the next two days. We will trailer Deo Volente ourselves to the city basin for launch. A chap built the hulls inthe 80s. Weve takenover last year and decked her , shes shafted now and sealed for the dunking. We will out fit at the marina. Iwill tow herinto marina with the avon. PRayers and praises !
I respect your cordiality. I also respect your right to have a different opinion on the subject to mine. It's a shame that so many today have a negative emotional response towards different opinions. It's almost a lost art of two people having a long argument over beers and at the end still walk away as friends. When did we become a society of conformity of views.

Chaya

ps: mosquito netting from dusk to dawn in the tropics. Zika if anything serves as a great reminder of the nasty disease spread in the tropics by the little blood suckers.
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2016, 04:52   #198

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

yes to the mosquito netting. also a good bug repellent. The mosquitoes that spread zika also spread other quite unpleasant diseases so it makes sense to be taking these precautions anyway. Another factoid related to mosquito biology - They are nocturnal so the most dangerous time is dusk when they come out from wherever they are and look for breakfast until they find it.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2016, 06:41   #199

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by thruska View Post

(...)

That's not journalism , its propaganda....
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Good on ya! Stick to it.

A new mosquito-borne virus has been detected in Haiti | Miami Herald

For those of us that find reading with comprehension too modern a skill:

virus: Mayaro,
vector: mosquito,
found: Haiti,

Results in:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayaro_virus_disease

In short, worse than Zika, comparable with Chiku.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 20:52   #200

Just another FYI , for whatever it's worth...

Zika Hoax: 12,000 women infected with Zika, all gave birth to healthy babies - NaturalNews.com
Old 28-09-2016, 21:01   #201

Oh btw, if anyone is interested in preventing viruses from compromising your health , research "thieves oil". If you purchase it or it's ingredients, it's wise to acquire therapeutic grade for best results. And you CAN put it in your face or on your toast ! Burns in the eyes so close them.
Old 29-09-2016, 07:15   #202

Boat: a sailing boat

Adult brain damage.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 07:26   #203

Zika denialist are equivalent of Wakefield - waste attention and public resources to peddle their particular conspiracy world view nonsense
Old 29-09-2016, 07:52   #204
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV DestinyAscen View Post
Zika denialist are equivalent of Wakefield - waste attention and public resources to peddle their particular conspiracy world view nonsense
umm.. You do know that Wakefield was exonerated and the establishment admitted falsification of the evidence?

As a doctor I am ashamed of my profession in matters like this. Due to his excellent research it has been established that one vaccine given as a combination is highly dangerous to non whites and that reaction in the combination is higher than acceptable risk in general.

Wakefield is PRO VACCINE and pointed out clinical issues with ONE vaccine. The fact that every country in the world had switched to it in combination doses rather than the SAFER individual doses probably had nothing to do with his expulsion of the British medical community and subsequent billions of profits for the vaccine manufacture.

The 2 billion paid out in damages to harmed children has nothing to do with it...
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 08:03   #205

That would be news to me - his undisclosed conflict of interest was what did him in no? My apologies if I'm not up to task on latest development?

I'm all for sensible vaccination schedules and pediatrician on this side of the Atlantic probably have more discretion manage side effects - but there anti vax movement has made simple public health problems extremely exposed in well to do hippy communities here
Old 29-09-2016, 08:21   #206
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV DestinyAscen View Post
That would be news to me - his undisclosed conflict of interest was what did him in no? My apologies if I'm not up to task on latest development?
There was no 'undisclosed' conflict of interest. There was just destruction of an obstacle to sales in mind. I was shocked and horrified what was done to a well qualified and ethical researcher. It is the nature of big business. Pharmaceuticals is the biggest.

Here is an Irish saying from my background...

First: believe nothing. Then believe nothing at all.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 11:11   #207

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingWalkabout View Post
When did we become a society of conformity of views.
To some extent I blame the press. They don't report the news anymore, they "tell stories." They'll even TELL you that they "tell stories."

Well, we all know that a story requires a protagonist, an antagonist, and a conflict between them. Learned that in Literature 101. So that's how the press sets up everything. There is always a good guy and a bad guy; someone who is right and someone who is wrong. Extremes and hysteria--lots of conflict--sells more papers than two people who agree to disagree.

So it carries over into society. More and more people seem to see everything as good and bad, right and wrong, with me or against me. If you're a Democrat then you have to hate all Republicans and everything they stand for. If you're a Republican then you have to hate all Democrats and everything they stand for. Respect another person's opinion, even though you disagree with it? Heck no! I'm right, you're wrong, and you should just STFU!

Or at least, that seems to be the way things are going. So is it any wonder that a lot of people don't expect to be able to have a respectful disagreement with someone?

Thus endeth the off-topic rant.

(By the way... The above are the observations of an American. I can only hope that things are not as bad, in this regard, in other countries.)
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 16:05   #208

Boat: modified Spray 56' oa

Hard to believe that the stories told have much basis in unbiased truthiness. Up here in Canada at least we say STFUP. and hardly ever shoot people . Actually I was just considering how tolerant Floridians are to accept 800.000 pounds of the worse possible pesticides into their ground water annually and not complain about the republicans naysaying laws that would have ended slavery in the state. (this situation has improved somewhat recently so maybe there's hope as the sea level rises) To get back to less drift, a new mozzie virus (like dengue but different) is rampant in Mumbai and the system is trying to brace for Zika as it's just a matter of time
topmast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 21:24   #209

After terrorizing America with Zika scaremongering, Washington Post now admits Zika virus doesn't cause brain deformities after all - NaturalNews.com

Might be worth a read for ya folks...
Old 31-10-2016, 02:41   #210

Boat: Comet 41s

One of the problems with the disinformation about Zika is the spread of news and stories by non specialized press, sensationalist newspapers and non credible or doubtful supposedly scientific magazines.

The truth is that on the last months the the scientific community as come with some indisputable evidence that Zika can grow and spread in adult brains. The research is limited yet to rat brains. Studies are going on to know if this will result in permanent damage or not.
Zika infection may affect adult brain cells, suggesting risk may not be limited to pregnant women | La Jolla Institute For Allergy and Immunology

Even more recent studies, published just some days ago, reveal more worrying news: "Zika virus infection leads to epigenetic modifications of both the virus and human RNA molecules, leading to changes in viral replication and the human immune response"

And this seems permanent damage to me.

Also some worrying news about the virus propagation and the possible sexual transmission:
http://www.the-scientist.com/?articl...e/Zika-Update/

The US wealth department is not taking the results of medical and biological research as light as some here and expensive prevention measures are being taken:

"Considering the threat in Florida and elsewhere in the U.S., the CDC last week (October 19) announced some $70 million in funding for efforts to stop the spread of Zika virus, including surveillance programs and improved mosquito control, and to monitor Zika-exposed pregnant women and their infants. The deadline for applications is November 20."

But off course, I am prejudiced on this subject: I just hate mosquitos

The truth is that even in Europe the general spread of Mosquitos is a reality that we can find on the med countries with special incidence on Italy and Greece. Many serious diseases can be spread by mosquitos and the traditional zone where one is exposed to those diseases is not only the "old" one:

Now, besides South met countries, the South of US are on the risk region and with the climatic changes, it will be spreading even more.

Not to be alarmed with it, but to be aware of it.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote