Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2016, 08:40   #121

Re: Zika and adult brain damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
After reading your past few threads where you seem to be concerned or worried about neary everything, I'm thinking that you might want to reconsider your plans to purchase a boat and travel. Just wait until you actually get out on a boat and get caught in a storm or have a major mechanical failure etc. You need to ask yourself if you have the mental and physical stamina to deal with these situations. One cannot be the type consumed by fear and worry for the cruising lifestyle to work successfully.

Just a thought.
By the way. You ignorantly assume I haven't been out on a boat in storm. How stupid it is to make such statements without knowing a thing about my history on the water. I have owned boats. I have navigated by the stars. And yes I have been in storms. Thank you for your patronizing concern.
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2016, 08:40   #122

Boat: a sailing boat

They say you only get Zika once so ... why not simply go to Miami NOW, get over it, then cruise thru the infested Caribbean free of any worries?

After all, when you do get it, you would rather be in a civilised air conditioned place rather than in a tropical no name country.

NO?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2016, 08:45   #123

Boat: Sandibar 35

In addition to Gord's link, there's a plethora of related research articles to be found on google scholar with the keywords Zika and microcephaly. I'm no medical researcher, but the papers usually include pretty straight forward findings.
Like this: "Our findings strongly support the previously suspected link between infection with Zika virus during pregnancy and microcephaly. They emphasise the need for health authorities of affected countries to organise fetal monitoring, promote vector control, and provide evidence-driven information for pregnant women." From a study using data from Polynesia in 2013. Of course, if you believe in a global conspiracy of the CDC, WHO, individual researchers and Monsanto (hmmm... reminds me of another thread on CF...) it's best just to stick to internet sites that support that view. Monsanto may be an evil business entity, but blaming everything on them is getting rather old.

Personally, I'm not worried and wouldn't mind going to Brazil again. If a member of my family would be thinking of having kids and planning a trip to Brazil I'd probably advise them to postpone either one.
Sandibar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2016, 08:55   #124

But, C'mon guys and gals: what came over you? Early Zika brain damage?

It is just a discussion. We are just expressing opinions, not touching facts. Nobody touches facts.

X, pleasy kiss Y on the cheek. Say you love her/him/them.

Let's not go into the anchors vs. catamarans alley. Huh?

Love, peace and more rhum,
barnakiel
Old 22-08-2016, 09:00   #125

Brazilian scientists find new Zika-linked brain disorder in adults | Reuters

|
Edition: United States
TOP NEWS
BUSINESS
MARKETS
WORLD
POLITICS
TECHNOLOGY
RIO 2016
COMMENTARY
MONEY
LIFE
PICTURES
VIDEO
HEALTH
Sun Apr 10, 2016 | 4:12 PM EDT
Brazilian scientists find new Zika-linked brain disorder in adults

An edes aegypti mosquito is seen inside a test tube as part of a research on preventing the spread of the Zika virus and other mosquito-borne diseases at a control and prevention center in Guadalupe, neighbouring Monterrey, Mexico, in this March 8, 2016 file photo. REUTERS/Daniel Becerril/Files
An edes aegypti mosquito is seen inside a test tube as part of a research on preventing the spread of the Zika virus and other mosquito-borne diseases at a control and prevention center in Guadalupe, neighbouring Monterrey, Mexico, in this March 8, 2016 file photo.
REUTERS/DANIEL BECERRIL/FILES
X
By Julie Steenhuysen | CHICAGO
(Reuters) - Scientists in Brazil have uncovered a new brain disorder associated with Zika infections in adults: an autoimmune syndrome called acute disseminated encephalomyelitis, or ADEM, that attacks the brain and spinal cord.

Zika has already been linked with the autoimmune disorder Guillain-Barre syndrome, which attacks peripheral nerves outside the brain and spinal cord, causing temporary paralysis that can in some cases require patients to rely on respirators for breathing.

The new discovery now shows Zika may provoke an immune attack on the central nervous system as well.

The findings add to the growing list of neurological damage associated with Zika.

Ultrasound in Obstetrics & Gynecology Explore this journal >
Previous article in issue: Marking 25 years of UOG's role in the field of women's health

Next article in issue: How to safeguard competency and training in invasive prenatal diagnosis: ‘the elephant in the room’

View issue TOC
Volume 47, Issue 1
January 2016
Pages 6–7

Physician Alert

Zika virus intrauterine infection causes fetal brain abnormality and microcephaly: tip of the iceberg?

Zika virus is a mosquito-borne disease closely related to yellow fever, dengue, West Nile and Japanese encephalitis viruses[2]. It was first identified in 1947 in the Zika Valley in Uganda and causes a mild disease with fever, erythema and arthralgia. Interestingly, vertical transmission to the fetus has not been reported previously, although two cases of perinatal transmission, occurring around the time of delivery and causing mild disease in the newborns, have been described[3].
We have examined recently two pregnant women from the state of Paraiba who were diagnosed with fetal microcephaly and were considered part of the ‘microcephaly cluster’ as both women suffered from symptoms related to Zika virus infection. Although both patients had negative blood results for Zika virus, amniocentesis and subsequent quantitative real-time polymerase chain reaction[4], performed after ultrasound diagnosis of fetal microcephaly and analyzed at the Oswaldo Cruz Foundation, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, was positive for Zika virus in both patients, most likely representing the first diagnoses of intrauterine transmission of the virus. The sequencing analysis identified in both cases a genotype of Asian origin.
In Case 1, fetal ultrasound examination was performed at 30.1 weeks' gestation. Head circumference (HC) was 246 mm (2.6 SD below expected value) and weight was estimated as 1179 g (21st percentile). Abdominal circumference (AC), femur length (FL) and transcranial Doppler were normal for gestational age as was the width of the lateral ventricles. Anomalies were limited to the brain and included brain atrophy with coarse calcifications involving the white matter of the frontal lobes, including the caudate, lentostriatal vessels and cerebellum. Corpus callosal and vermian dysgenesis and enlarged cisterna magna were observed (Figure 1).
Old 22-08-2016, 09:09   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
They say you only get Zika once so ... why not simply go to Miami NOW, get over it, then cruise thru the infested Caribbean free of any worries?

After all, when you do get it, you would rather be in a civilised air conditioned place rather than in a tropical no name country.

NO?

b.
b. I used to not worry so much. Not being of childbearing age. But now research is coming out about Zika other health issues. I am absolutely sure I do not want to be infected.
Old 22-08-2016, 11:10   #127

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandibar View Post
Ahhh.. Monsanto, responsible all the evils in the world. If you want to know if the Zika (I assume you mean Zika and not Zina?) virus is patented, check the databases, they are public AFAIK. Reading through your link on naturalnews, I'd suggest you heed your own advise and "Consider the source of what you read, the author, the publisher, the paid shill, the lame stream media".

cheers!
Thank you , I do take that advice.
The question of the patent was for your stimulation not mine , I know who has patents, do you ?
thruska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2016, 11:25   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingWalkabout View Post
The Ostrich syndrome is alive and well. Putting your head in the sand doesn't make problems such as Zika go away. It is because of this syndrome I used showing imagery of schools in the future being full of Zika baby children. Deformed and with IQ'S less then your pet dog.

So now I'm under attack by the Ostrich types. They obviously get upset having to face reality.

The CDC travel warning for South Beach and parts of Miami is the first time in the CDC'S history to issue a travel warning for a United States City. This should speak for itself about the seriousness of Zika.

My thinking is the CDC and Miami have acted to late. Nearly 100 cases have now shown up in California. It is only a matter of time before it reaches the north east. Though I think the coming winter will most likely slow the progress northwards until next year.

I gave a list of sensible precautions that a sailor can do in order to protect themselves in mosquito infested Zika zones. Another person suggested the use of citronella as well. I understand that there are some foods that cause a chemical release in your skin that make you less attractive to mosquitoes. Also there are natural oils that are effective repellents.

If this thread does nothing else but raise the awareness amongst boaters then my objective for writing it has been achieved. I do hope thought that we all discuss openly ideas on protective methods while still enjoying life on the water.
By your own words you are a wise and educated scientist , successful in applied science and holding many patents. Get your boat quick, patent a plastic tent for it to protect you, sail off to no mosquitos land, and you've solved your own problem and question.
Cheers!
Old 22-08-2016, 11:58   #129
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Good post Ken...I believe the OP enjoys controversial topics in order to feed their narcissism. So whether it's fear or just boredom, they like to engage others to feed their ego. People fall for this and chime in on the topic. As long as we have sensationalism in the media, these types will use the information for attention, negative or positive.
Agreed! 100%.

But my wife's question... Why on a cruiser's sailing forum??
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2016, 12:28   #130

Im out of here. Sorry for disturbing some peoples comfort level.
Old 22-08-2016, 12:57   #131

Quote:
Im out of here. Sorry for disturbing some peoples comfort level.
Methinks it's your comfort level that's disturbed. Or perhaps truth hits or hurts.
You behaved the same way in out her threads.
Not everyone accepts everyone else's views.
Because you think your the only smart one you leave the sandbox and take your toys with you. You are intelligent and defend your views and others vehemently. But your attacking others whom don't accept your views or statements is childish.
Seriously though, go get a boat before it's too late to. Get away from the computer and tv. I'm sure you have friends support. Don't get frustrated over us fools here. Do your dream. You probably have the means to do it. It will get your mind off all the fear of gloom and doom which have been around since the beginning of time.
Maybe I should have Pm'd you instead, idk.
not surrendering , but peace to you lady.
Old 22-08-2016, 13:23   #132

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

People cruising on boats without mosquito protection are fools in my opinion. My father died at the age of 31 from a mosquito born illness. He was a healthy young man. That was of course many years ago but mosquito's are probably the most deadly insect on earth.

But never mind the dying, who are, for the most part, the elderly and the very young and the immune system deficient. Many of the illnesses that mosquito's spread are painful and long lasting. They can cause you much grief even if you survive. People who minimize the effect of the Zika virus are unthinking fools, IMHO. One just has to look at the effect it is having in South America on the new born children who will suffer for the rest of their lives.

To suggest that Zika can't affect adults is ludicrous. We have to wait for the scientific results of testing but certainly any virus that affects the brain can be long lasting and painful or deadly. To point a finger at the CDC while lauding some unscientific publication is ridiculous.

And to suggest that the answer is in DDT is also unthinking. Read Rachel Carson's book, Silent Spring before you make suggestions like that.

We (humans) have unthinkingly spread deadly viruses around the world and we are now reaping the results.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2016, 13:24   #133
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

that F8888* mosquiito is staring at me. O O
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2016, 13:41   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
After reading your past few threads where you seem to be concerned or worried about neary everything, I'm thinking that you might want to reconsider your plans to purchase a boat and travel. Just wait until you actually get out on a boat and get caught in a storm or have a major mechanical failure etc. You need to ask yourself if you have the mental and physical stamina to deal with these situations. One cannot be the type consumed by fear and worry for the cruising lifestyle to work successfully.

Just a thought.
My final post to you.

I am not the "type" consumed by fear and worry as you say of me. I have no need to question my mental and physical stamina to deal with adverse sailing situations as you say. I do not post doom and gloom as you say. Others on one long thread I started who seem to have followed me to this thread, are the doom and gloom ones. I am the one who doesn't accept their sky is falling view of things.

Even on a post about nutrition and exercise while sailing I am attacked by these doom and gloomer's who think it is OK to be verbally abusive to me rather than write coherently about the subject. No they would rather attack and insult me.

You question my stamina and strength of mind. I have more capability to deal with emergency situations then you would ever know. I have a bravery award from the Royal Human Society for kicking in a front door, running into a house on fire and pulling out an elderly man from the top floor bedroom.

I have attended crash victims and was the only skilled to handle the emergency and yes save lives. The last one was an overturned car wreck with leaking gasoline where I crawled into the vehicle to aid in the drivers extraction.

At age 14 my first rescue as a civilian I dived into the ocean and swam out to a group of 5 people caught in a rip. It was off the southern coast of Australia. Large surf. I was able to stop them from panicking, they were going under. Got them to tread water until surf rescue arrived.

I was kidnapped and held prisoner by terrorists. Had the good sense to get out of that without outside help.

I've survived a carjacking by 4 armed assailants in South America and escaped unharmed. " although my car did suffer some damage.

I have made no attacks on you. I have not cast dispersions on your mental state or your abilities. I have not called into question anything about you as a person.

Do you seriously think your behavior here towards me as a poster is warranted and appropriate?
Old 22-08-2016, 14:07   #135

Quote:
b. I used to not worry so much. Not being of childbearing age. But now research is coming out about Zika other health issues. I am absolutely sure I do not want to be infected.
Well, "absolutely" can be hard to get, but you do lower the chances by staying away from places like Caribbean, Med, Polynesia, Africa, S America, Asia, etc. - the tropics / semitropics. You are mostly safe in most of the US, N Europe, Siberia, Scandinavia, Japan, Canada, etc.

Do note though that where there are no A Egypti mosquitoes, there are ticks, and these spread:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tick

So to say, life is an inherently uncertain / risky undertaking. Even if you opt out of tropical locations.

Cheers,
b.