Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2016, 09:38   #16

Re: Zika and adult brain damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
Since the virus affects part of the brain is important in learning and memory there could be a dramatic increase in second marriages for cruisers.
What are your talking about. Splat, just killed another blood sucker on my arm. Ahh I remember. You were talking about ........ well I am sure it will come to me. Oh well. Where am I? Have we met before?
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2016, 09:44   #17

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Just a point of correction.

Here in Florida there are several hundred cases of zika contracted outside of the states.

But the number of cases contracted inside the US is not zero. The last I heard was a number of 20 cases contracted here directly from mosquito bites.

These are in the small community near Miami. And since this mosquito never travels more than about 200 yards from its birthplace the strategy for combating this is one of containment by spraying. And education of the public about standing water sources, etc.

I'm not sure if a mosquito bites one of the hundreds of people carrying the virus if that mosquito then becomes a carrier. If so and these folks travel to other areas infecting mosquitoes in that new area then that could spread the virus.

Hopefully rigorous monitoring and the limited travel range of these mosquitoes will allow this virus to be contained and dealt with effectively.

Personally, I don't think this virus has much chance of impacting the larger cruising community in any meaningful way. At least in the continental US.

Places like Puerto Rica with thousands of cases and adding many dozens daily would be a different story I think. Hopefully the resources to deal with this will be utilized efficiently and like many things in the past this to will be soon behind us.
Old 19-08-2016, 09:44   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post
Most of following tick borne diseases have migrated from their traditional "southern" climes into Canada. The diseases are actually in Canadian insects & mammals.
My family just went thru 5 mos. of hell with our 5yr old grandson.Un-explained lesions on the brain & encephalitis.Excruciating 24/7 headache for weeks along with fever,etc. Poor motor control & personality change also.
Thankfully,it appears that he has made a full recovery-lesions almost gone-& he is acting normally. Still no diagnosis of cause.
So-please don't take these diseases lightly,including ZIKA. They are continually morphing & changing.

Attachment 129809

/ Len
I am very sorry to hear about your grandson. Very sorry. And you are absolutely correct to not take Zika lightly. Wishing your grandson all the best.
Old 19-08-2016, 09:48   #19

Zika is in the local news here daily. I haven't heard that the spraying in Miami was not effective.

Though I haven't watched the news for a few days now.
Old 19-08-2016, 09:50   #20

Boat: Kadey-Krogen 38 Cutter

BLUF: No scientific basis and no expert

My feeling is that this is the latest thing to be deathly afraid of and I would be if I were a pregnant woman or a woman trying to get pregnant.

Remember when West Nile Virus fist made it to the US? The "experts" made it sound like a mosquito bite was a death sentence.

Never forget we live in a "state of fear".

sailstax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2016, 09:55   #21

Miami Herald

Zika spreads to Miami Beach.

Zika virus: Local transmission taking place in Miami Beach, Florida | Miami Herald

The following statement by Miami Beach Mayor shows they are desperate to cover up Zika and deny that it has spread to the tourist region of Miami Beach. I would expect a clamp down going forward, of what is really going on.

“I have been informed that two Zika cases have been linked to Miami Beach, one a tourist who visited the Beach approximately two weeks ago, and another a resident who also works on the Beach,” Morales said in the email.

Miami Beach Mayor Philip Levine, fresh off a plane from New York late Thursday, urged calm.

"There is no epidemic, no outbreak of Zika in Miami Beach," he said.

Levine said health officials told him there were two cases of Zika being investigated with possible links to Miami Beach, and he insisted there was no confirmation yet that they were transmitted in the city."
Old 19-08-2016, 10:05   #22

Ha! The local news just said the number of locally contracted cases in Miami is now 36.

They made a statement about Miami Beach but I missed it while reading the forum.
Old 19-08-2016, 10:13   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds View Post
Ha! The local news just said the number of locally contracted cases in Miami is now 36.

They made a statement about Miami Beach but I missed it while reading the forum.
2 confirmed Zika infections now from Miami Beach. One a local and another a tourist who visited Miami Beach. This shows it has broken out of its containment zone. Also a confirmed case of local contraction in Palm Beach.
Old 19-08-2016, 10:22   #24
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

what a blessing it is to be able to be in a location where in mosquito borne illnesses are rampant--AND have access over the counter to antiviral medications shown to prevent replication of viruses.
loving my life.
also placement of screens on allllll opening ports cowls and hatches helps the nocturnal sleeping.
no funny lil whining sounds of skeeter wings flapping in my boat.
gekkos and skeeter eating swallows are also a blessing.
and bug zappers.
there are many mosquito borne illnesses causing everything from paralysis to cramping to hemorrhaging and dane bramage. oh yeah and donot forget plague-- flea borne--still at issue in some parts of planet.....lyme disease and west nile-- ticks are also worthy of mentioning...
ye gonna skip cruising because of a little insect??
many ways to create an unfriendly environment for skeeters,and demise to many of them.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2016, 10:33   #25

I think zika will definitely hurt the tourism industry - but I think based on the evidence, zika is one of many diseases to be studied and being reasonably prudent about (e.g. if you're immune compromised, elderly, infant/toddler, pregnant or looking to become pregnant). Otherwise - zika is less threatening to a healthy adult than lymes, denge, west nile.

Reasonable caution of avoiding being bitten by mosquito (who enjoys being bitten anyhow?) should suffice.
SV DestinyAscen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2016, 10:41   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
what a blessing it is to be able to be in a location where in mosquito borne illnesses are rampant--AND have access over the counter to antiviral medications shown to prevent replication of viruses.
loving my life.
also placement of screens on allllll opening ports cowls and hatches helps the nocturnal sleeping.
no funny lil whining sounds of skeeter wings flapping in my boat.
gekkos and skeeter eating swallows are also a blessing.
and bug zappers.
there are many mosquito borne illnesses causing everything from paralysis to cramping to hemorrhaging and dane bramage. oh yeah and donot forget plague-- flea borne--still at issue in some parts of planet.....lyme disease and west nile-- ticks are also worthy of mentioning...
ye gonna skip cruising because of a little insect??
many ways to create an unfriendly environment for skeeters,and demise to many of them.
I agree. Taking precautions like mosquito screens and netting is sensible. Yes there are a lot of other things out there that can cause illness from mosquitos. Unfortunately a lot of people in the United States live such cocooned lives they are oblivious to the dangers.

I'm not suggesting to stop sailing in areas with mosquitos. I for one would be extra careful and use spray, netting and clothing. I would also enjoy sundowners behind the mosquito nets. Just as boats have clear wall cockpit enclosures in colder climates I think the prudent will have mosquito enclosures for the tropics.

Having said that, I do think that Zika fear could have a serious impact on business in the Islands and places like Miami Beach. I haven't seen any analysis of the long term economic impact on society from Zika babies. The specialized medical treatment costs. The special eduction costs. The long term disability funding costs since they won't ever be able to work and fend for themselves.
Old 19-08-2016, 10:44   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV DestinyAscen View Post
I think zika will definitely hurt the tourism industry - but I think based on the evidence, zika is one of many diseases to be studied and being reasonably prudent about (e.g. if you're immune compromised, elderly, infant/toddler, pregnant or looking to become pregnant). Otherwise - zika is less threatening to a healthy adult than lymes, denge, west nile.

Reasonable caution of avoiding being bitten by mosquito (who enjoys being bitten anyhow?) should suffice.
Sorry to say but you can't say that Zika is less threatening to a healthy adult than lyme, denge and west nile. I suppose if you think adult brain damage is nothing to worry about then you could say it though.
Old 19-08-2016, 10:49   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingWalkabout View Post
Sorry to say but you can't say that Zika is less threatening to a healthy adult than lyme, denge and west nile. I suppose if you think adult brain damage is nothing to worry about then you could say it though.

Risk = probability of the specific consequence * probability of infection to the disease

Zika is most definitely less threatening to me - as a healthy non-immune compromised adult who is done with procreation. I'm more scared of deer ticks when out hunting in Pennsylvania.
SV DestinyAscen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2016, 10:56   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV DestinyAscen View Post
Risk = probability of the specific consequence * probability of infection to the disease

Zika is most definitely less threatening to me - as a healthy non-immune compromised adult who is done with procreation. I'm more scared of deer ticks when out hunting in Pennsylvania.
If you were living in Puerto Rico or Miami Beach then you would have a different view of the risk I suppose. By the way. Becoming infected has nothing to do with being healthy or not. Many infected have not been immuno deficient. Otherwise healthy mothers became infected and have given birth to their badly deformed babies.

You also say you are not worried because you are done with procreation. Please read the report showing researchers are showing that brain damage can be caused by Zika in otherwise healthy ADULTS. Not just pregnant women.
Old 19-08-2016, 11:01   #30

NEWS JUST NOW:

CDC, Center for Disease Control has just place Miami Beach on an advisory for pregnant women not to travel too.

It was just announced by the both the CDC and the Governor of Florida that the tourist area of Miami Beach has now 5 confirmed cases of locally originating Zika cases.

It would be interesting to see if Hotels.com would give out a report on room cancelations over the next few weeks for Miami.

I am very sorry for all those affected.