Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2016, 04:28   #1

Zika and adult brain damage

It is now being reported that researchers have found that the Zika virus may now cause brain damage in adults.

Medical Xpress: Zika infection may affect adult brain cells

If true, and there is no reason to say that it's not, what impact will this have on cruisers?

Could we see places like the Caribbean have a serious drop off in recreational sailing as the fear of Zika moves beyond just childbearing age women?

What impact going forward could this have on the charter businesses? Also let's not forget the overall impact on these Island nations economies.

Personally, I don't think people are thinking seriously about the effect this mosquito born virus could end up having on sailboating. The empty seats at the Rio Olympics could just be a fortaste of the impact on other elective lifestyle choices.

I would think the first to be affected would be the charters. And if the charter companies get hurt the flow on effect throughout the sailboat related industry could be serious.

Now that Zika has now spread to Miami tourist areas such as South Beach, if I owned a tourist related business I would be selling now. Miami is a good example of how this little virus can cause an economic crash locally.

I would really like to hear others thoughts on this. Am I being too negative? Is it something that will have no impact commercially?

Thanks,
Chaya
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2016, 05:58   #2

Re: Zika and adult brain damage

Nothing to worry about. Global Cooling will soon kill off all the mosquitoes!
SailOar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2016, 06:11   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailOar View Post
Why do you have to follow me to another thread and troll me. Isn't it enough that you flood another thread with cut and paste propaganda all day long.
Old 19-08-2016, 07:07   #4

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingWalkabout View Post
... what impact will this have on cruisers?
Since the virus affects part of the brain is important in learning and memory there could be a dramatic increase in second marriages for cruisers.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2016, 08:45   #5
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Am I being too negative?
Yes. Maybe you would sell your Miami tourist-related business now, but not everybody is ruled by fear. Especially after reading a single, inconclusive article on the internet.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2016, 08:45   #6

Boat: a sailing boat

There will be zero impact, unless there is a major outbreak.

EVERY virus malady causes some amount of risk to your brain, also 'plain' flu. The condition is called encephalitis and it is (or so I understand) an inflammation of the brain. The condition is not specific to Zika.

e.g.:

Encephalitis: Causes, Risk Factors & Symptoms

There is no 'discovery' by scientists. It is a condition with causes known for decades if not ages.

It is summer now and the press will print whatever sells.

The worse the viral infection, the higher risk and damage from encephalitis.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2016, 08:47   #7

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
Since the virus affects part of the brain is important in learning and memory there could be a dramatic increase in second marriages for cruisers.
Haha good one!

Sent from my PLT1077G using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2016, 08:51   #8

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailOar View Post
Global cooling is a new concept and not subject of OP's query.

Let the OP get the answers / responses, and stop fooling around.

Start another thread, if so inclined.

Love,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2016, 08:57   #9

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

"What impact going forward could this have on the charter businesses?"

It might be a good opportunity to pick up a nice boat at a good price!

On a more serious note, I think that a few articles won't have much of an impact. However, if there is a major outbreak, and people are negatively affected, then there would be adjustments. I doubt the cruising and charter world will go away. They will just go somewhere else. Here in New York City, I just read that there are some five hundred known cases of Zika. People are still coming here although to be honest, I don't know why they come in August! September and October are much nicer, but I digress.

According to one "expert" on Zika, only some ten to twenty percent of people infected have negative affects and those, while unpleasant, go away after a few days. It is the effect on unborn children that is most severe. Supposedly there are no known cases of it being transmitted here in NYC or Florida from mosquitoes in NYC or Florida. All cases supposedly came from known risk areas in other countries.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2016, 09:10   #10

Boat: 1995 Privilege 51

I'm slightly worried that the media-hype will affect those areas, whether or not the threat is a high enough percentage to matter. And that in turn will make boat prices plummet. As I'm about to buy a boat and we have the price negotiated, that would suck for me.

~ Following Cs ~
FollowingCs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2016, 09:17   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
There will be zero impact, unless there is a major outbreak.

EVERY virus malady causes some amount of risk to your brain, also 'plain' flu. The condition is called encephalitis and it is (or so I understand) an inflammation of the brain. The condition is not specific to Zika.

e.g.:

Encephalitis: Causes, Risk Factors & Symptoms

There is no 'discovery' by scientists. It is a condition with causes known for decades if not ages.

It is summer now and the press will print whatever sells.

The worse the viral infection, the higher risk and damage from encephalitis.

Cheers,
b.
You are correct of course about other viruses including a flu progressing to a point of having an effect on the brain. A long prolonged high fever can affect brain function which could lead in some very small cases to brain damage.

What we are talking about here is not the statistically very small number of cases such as encephalitis or brain damaging fever following due to a virus. We are talking about a virus that doesn't cause brain swelling. Rather it attacks a very specific region of the brain that is particular to the Zika virus.

The laboratory discovery while in mice, is a valid scientific clinical result and observation that does show damage to the brain for those infected.

i would expect the next step will be do autopsies on those who have been infected with Zika and have died.

What this research is showing and which is definitely cause for alarm is that effects on all persons could be far worse than originally thought.

In the past we have been lucky with other pandemics dying out of there own volition. Some pandemics however have taken root and have not died out naturally. One good example is AIDS.

It will be interesting to see if the virus in Brazil over time snuffs itself out. No evidence of this happening so far, unfortunately.

In the meantime until given the all clear I would myself will take all precautions so as to stay away from Zika. Let those that think it is a joke continue to laugh.

Regarding the effect this may have on boating in mosquito infested areas I would think that some people will do well. Mosquito netting for boats including full cockpit wrap arounds along with screens for hatches etc business will do well.

I also think that long sleeves, long pants mid to late afternoon will become the norm for the careful. Then you will have those who don't care and laugh at such precautions. These people will probably be happy. After all, after suffering brain damage and memory function loss they will be no different to the reefer smokers who have no short term memory walking around with smiles on their faces.
Old 19-08-2016, 09:17   #12

Quote:
It is now being reported that researchers have found that the Zika virus may now cause brain damage in adults.

Medical Xpress: Zika infection may affect adult brain cells

If true, and there is no reason to say that it's not, what impact will this have on cruisers?

Could we see places like the Caribbean have a serious drop off in recreational sailing as the fear of Zika moves beyond just childbearing age women?

What impact going forward could this have on the charter businesses? Also let's not forget the overall impact on these Island nations economies.

Personally, I don't think people are thinking seriously about the effect this mosquito born virus could end up having on sailboating. The empty seats at the Rio Olympics could just be a fortaste of the impact on other elective lifestyle choices.

I would think the first to be affected would be the charters. And if the charter companies get hurt the flow on effect throughout the sailboat related industry could be serious.

Now that Zika has now spread to Miami tourist areas such as South Beach, if I owned a tourist related business I would be selling now. Miami is a good example of how this little virus can cause an economic crash locally.

I would really like to hear others thoughts on this. Am I being too negative? Is it something that will have no impact commercially?

Thanks,
Chaya
Well that explains the behaviour of our two presidential candidates.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2016, 09:19   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FollowingCs View Post
I'm slightly worried that the media-hype will affect those areas, whether or not the threat is a high enough percentage to matter. And that in turn will make boat prices plummet. As I'm about to buy a boat and we have the price negotiated, that would suck for me.

~ Following Cs ~
Now they are saying 1 in 4 Puerto Ricans will be infected by next year, and the entire population within five years. Doomed population. Essentially the long awaited pandemic that culls the global population is at hand.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2016, 09:29   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyDaveNY View Post
"What impact going forward could this have on the charter businesses?"

It might be a good opportunity to pick up a nice boat at a good price!

On a more serious note, I think that a few articles won't have much of an impact. However, if there is a major outbreak, and people are negatively affected, then there would be adjustments. I doubt the cruising and charter world will go away. They will just go somewhere else. Here in New York City, I just read that there are some five hundred known cases of Zika. People are still coming here although to be honest, I don't know why they come in August! September and October are much nicer, but I digress.

According to one "expert" on Zika, only some ten to twenty percent of people infected have negative affects and those, while unpleasant, go away after a few days. It is the effect on unborn children that is most severe. Supposedly there are no known cases of it being transmitted here in NYC or Florida from mosquitoes in NYC or Florida. All cases supposedly came from known risk areas in other countries.
"According to one "expert" on Zika, only some ten to twenty percent of people infected have negative affects and those, while unpleasant, go away after a few days." The negative effects going away after a few days you are talking about are symptoms such as high fever and muscle aches. Since they are not testing for the parasites effect on the brain and since its brain damaging effects aren't readily noticeable then of course Doctors will be saying that everything goes away after a couple of days. The research referred to changes all that. It is not just affecting fetuses. It is affecting adults.

Florida has now documented cases of locally contracted Zika cases. Also the infected mosquito zone that was reported to be a one square mile region. The region that was bombarded with mosquito killing chemicals from the air and house to house eradication spraying has not worked. Infected mosquitos have now been found on Miami Beach.

If you don't think this will have an effect on South Florida business then all I can say is look at the thousands of empty seats at the Rio Olympics. It wasn't the fear of crime that kept the tourists away from attending the Olympics. It was Zika fear. And Zika fear kept a lot of top athletes away as well.
Old 19-08-2016, 09:35   #15

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Most of following tick borne diseases have migrated from their traditional "southern" climes into Canada. The diseases are actually in Canadian insects & mammals.
My family just went thru 5 mos. of hell with our 5yr old grandson.Un-explained lesions on the brain & encephalitis.Excruciating 24/7 headache for weeks along with fever,etc. Poor motor control & personality change also.
Thankfully,it appears that he has made a full recovery-lesions almost gone-& he is acting normally. Still no diagnosis of cause.
So-please don't take these diseases lightly,including ZIKA. They are continually morphing & changing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tick Borne Diseases.PNG
Views:	380
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	129809

/ Len