Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2016, 04:11   #91
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Zika and adult brain damage

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Cayuse51.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2016, 09:50   #92

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingWalkabout View Post
I read somewhere that AIDS came from cross species sex with a monkey. Is there something you want to tell us Salty Monkey?

I say eat bananas if you want to live long and prosper.
Probably from the National Inquirer.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2016, 09:52   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going Walkabout View Post
HI. Nice to hear from you. Good research on your part. By the way, I was joking with my comment to Salty Monkey.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Going Walkabout View Post
https://www.yahoo.com/news/zika-viru...19.html?ref=gs

Paris (France) (AFP) - The Zika virus, already linked to brain damage in babies, can also cause a serious brain infection in adult victims, French researchers warned Thursday.
So..I'm still wondering if these two are the same person and why they have 2 profiles. I think the rules on CF are clear about this.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 21-08-2016, 10:57   #94
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
So..I'm still wondering if these two are the same person and why they have 2 profiles. I think the rules on CF are clear about this.
Who? I'm confused by the comment.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2016, 12:05   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Who? I'm confused by the comment.
Sorry...GoingWalkabout with the avatar and Going Walkabout without avatar. Note the space between Going and Walkabout. The other does not have that but appears to be the same person.
Old 21-08-2016, 12:45   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffcard View Post
Just saw an interview with a South Beach hotel owner, said today he had 4 cancellations today.
South Miami lives off its tourist trade. Estimated to be multi billions annually. If this account of 1 hotel is true representation of what's going on than the economic damage will be a catastrophic. Maybe it's already too late to sell your tourist related business at a good price.

Often times public fear does exceed reality. Also public fear often behaves like a bursting dam. First a crack, then a trickle and then the deluge. 4 cancellations for the hotel yesterday. I wonder how many today and how many by the end of the week?
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2016, 13:11   #97

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

As a resident of Miami, I'm not very worried about this virus. It's just one more mosquito born disease that will affect a very few people. If it scares you, just put on some repellant.

As for tourists, the economy isn't as dependent on them as most people believe.
Tourists come in the winter anyway. Mosquitos are not an issue in winter.
Old 21-08-2016, 13:16   #98

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:

(...)

I haven't seen any analysis of the long term economic impact on society from Zika babies. The specialized medical treatment costs. The special eduction costs. The long term disability funding costs since they won't ever be able to work and fend for themselves.
The epidemic is recent and so there has been very little opportunity for ANY long term analysis. Medical, social or otherwise.

There is always some economical impact, from most things that form our world. Obesity, texting and driving, guns, alcohol use, smoking, drugs and maybe two dozen other factors will be probably way higher on our list of worries.

And in some societies the impact is hardly 'on society', unless you live say in Sweden where the state funds or supports large areas of medical, educational and otherwise needs. One cannot have the cake and eat the cake (yes, I know this runs contrary to what some politicians preach). You cannot have the biggest army in the world AND social and med support all at once. It is either/or and the taxpayer votes.

So I think an impact like any other, basically indistinguishable in the whole picture of things.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2016, 14:11   #99

Boat: Shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
Could never understand this "looking for volunteers" thing when the prisons are supposedly so full.
The US sharply curtailed the use of inmates for drug testing after the Tuskegee revelations, deciding that it would be difficult to eliminate coercion of the inmates. This was when drug companies started using poor people in third world countries for testing. In response to some of those abuses, the US revisited the issue about 10 years ago, but I don't know what came of it.
Cottontop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2016, 14:16   #100

Boat: Shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffcard View Post
Just saw an interview with a South Beach hotel owner, said today he had 4 cancellations today. Before going across to the Bahamas we usually jump off from Miami, this year we'll leave from Ft Lauderdale. Who cruises with AC? Why all the talk about AC?
Did the hotel owner reveal how many cancellations they get every day, or the same day last year, or anything that might render that data point relevant? You're afraid of Miami, but not FTL, just a few miles away?
Cottontop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2016, 19:54   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
The epidemic is recent and so there has been very little opportunity for ANY long term analysis. Medical, social or otherwise.

There is always some economical impact, from most things that form our world. Obesity, texting and driving, guns, alcohol use, smoking, drugs and maybe two dozen other factors will be probably way higher on our list of worries.

And in some societies the impact is hardly 'on society', unless you live say in Sweden where the state funds or supports large areas of medical, educational and otherwise needs. One cannot have the cake and eat the cake (yes, I know this runs contrary to what some politicians preach). You cannot have the biggest army in the world AND social and med support all at once. It is either/or and the taxpayer votes.

So I think an impact like any other, basically indistinguishable in the whole picture of things.

b.
I think the impact "could" be catastrophic. The Dominican Republic is now reporting 1 in 4 are infected. This will mean many miscarriages and deformed babies with IQ's of 30. Whole schools of the future of the Zika baby children.

The Miami politicians are in full media damage control. Saying things like the infected mosquitoes are confined to a 10 or others saying 20 block radius. What they don't tell you that these little blood suckeres can be blown for miles on windy days.

Politicians are trying to dampen public concern. The same kind of beachside politicians in the film Jaws that preferred to risk swimmers lives in order to protect the summer trade.

The CDC understands epidemiology. It understands the mathetics of this viruses spread. It understands how a whole region can become infested and the population infected. That is why they have issued the travel warnings for Miami Beach. Which now includes South Beach.

Given the concern now that Zika can have long term effects on all adults I think it's commercial and political pressure that they aren't warning everyone from travelling to Miami. Rather than now only warning women who may become pregnant and men who may make women pregnant.
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2016, 20:03   #102

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50

More worried about the price of diesel.......
Old 21-08-2016, 22:11   #103

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36

Quote:
I think the impact "could" be catastrophic. The Dominican Republic is now reporting 1 in 4 are infected. This will mean many miscarriages and deformed babies with IQ's of 30. Whole schools of the future of the Zika baby children.

The Miami politicians are in full media damage control. Saying things like the infected mosquitoes are confined to a 10 or others saying 20 block radius. What they don't tell you that these little blood suckeres can be blown for miles on windy days.

Politicians are trying to dampen public concern. The same kind of beachside politicians in the film Jaws that preferred to risk swimmers lives in order to protect the summer trade.

The CDC understands epidemiology. It understands the mathetics of this viruses spread. It understands how a whole region can become infested and the population infected. That is why they have issued the travel warnings for Miami Beach. Which now includes South Beach.

Given the concern now that Zika can have long term effects on all adults I think it's commercial and political pressure that they aren't warning everyone from travelling to Miami. Rather than now only warning women who may become pregnant and men who may make women pregnant.
Epidemic ???? Time for a nap kids...
thruska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2016, 23:33   #104

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Whole schools full of zika baby children?

Old 21-08-2016, 23:49   #105

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36

...the research indicates.... Likely.....maybe.....if....supposedly....the dept suspects....in likelihood...perhaps we should.....it could be....in speculation...

If the dog would not have stopped to crap, he MIGHT have....
A) gotten cramps
B) not gotten caught by dog catcher
C)not gotten shot by the gardener
D) got on the trail of another dog
E) found the scent of a rabbit
F) perhaps caught a rabbit
G) not been run over by the truck

Consider the source of what you read, the author, the publisher, the paid shill, the lame stream media, follow the money trail.
CDC likely fabricating link between Zika virus and microcephaly cases; admits people self-immunize against Zika and that 'no single piece of evidence provides conclusive proof' - NaturalNews.com
Snopes says there is no discovered link between Zina and microcephaly. And states Monsanto is not involved🤑.
Who owns patents on Zina virus ?
That's a great question.

Fear mongers, doom n gloom, vaccine marketeers, ....
Getting exercise jumping to conclusions.
Vague reports from sensationalistic journalist, that's not even a journalist in real terms.banghead:
thruska is offline   Reply With Quote