Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2011, 11:35   #106

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
Re: Zeehag on the Move

What if you inundated everyone with all the details of your adventure and created a blog of how clever you were and nobody cared?
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:40   #107

Send a message via AIM to meburma Send a message via Yahoo to meburma Send a message via Skype™ to meburma

Hahaha JohnA I have had that thought more than once!

As for the 10 minute updates via SPOT... that's actually an EXTRA feature. Basic SPOT service allows for the simple text message of A-OK, HELP and the Call out to the Rescue Party SOS message.

I opted for the live tracking feature on my device (which you still have the option of using or not using) because my Mother really wanted to see where I am when I am out. For her it does bring some peace of mind. EDIT: Zee's mom was really loving that too.

It does leave things open to people asking... why are they there? What's going on? But for some of us that's a comfort to know that someone, somewhere has some idea where we went wrong maybe.

The nice thing is it is still a one way communication device... so you aren't dealing with nagging phone calls or emails.

Still one must inform their family to not overreact and give things time to play out... otherwise you may find them calling the authorities everytime you stop to have a taco.
meburma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:43   #108
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by meburma View Post
otherwise you may find them calling the authorities everytime you stop to have a taco.
or a mouse... do they make mouse tacos?

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:50   #109

Quote:
of mind.

Still one must inform their family to not overreact ....
And I just thought we were cheer leading and arm chair quarterbacking...rah...rah....
Caribbean53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:56   #110
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

John A - because outside of serving as an extended enhanced "vanity page", blogs are also a diary of events for your own purposes which you can look back on...
yeah...gad there are so many blogs out there that are "look at me!"

Sarafina - oh tahts sooooo sad!!!!
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:17   #111

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
or a mouse... do they make mouse tacos?

Love it Sarafina!! Un Gato con un Taco de raton

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:33   #112

Send a message via AIM to meburma Send a message via Yahoo to meburma Send a message via Skype™ to meburma
From Bubbadaboatkat's Facebook page today!

Bubba Daboatkat 12:05pm May 10
isla cedros is a wonderful place to be stuck-- folks ar e3friendly and i am the entertainment-- no on ehas sailed into this port in manhy yrs--around 10 or so--lol--is alll fishing boats for abalone and lobster plant in next cove to south of me.
Comment History

Bubba Daboatkat 12:04pm May 10
ok i am stuck in x=cedros island-- startr broke an di cannot get it fixed--ouchies-- we had to sail in circles all sunday day and nite---- no engine able to be used as starter is ttally fried.. jual lu is a wonderfully excellent crew/cpt-- mechanic-- but this problem is even out of his hands-- aqnd pricy.....need new starter unit.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:42   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post
Wow. I think you guys have convinced me not to get a spot. I know that you all really genuinely care and are coming from a positive place, but yikes. If my friends and family were this obsessive (parents certainly would be), then they'd never get any sleep with every dipsy doodle in the course or forgetting to turn it on. Instead of reassuring them and allowing them to know I'm ok, it would stress them out and make me feel like they're all looking over my shoulder all the time.

Maybe I'll just tell them that I'll call them when I get there and give them a crossing time estimate three times the actual. I guess I'm kind of a private person when it comes to this sort of thing.
Totally agree. Never followed one of those; it feels invasive. I think cruising is about checking out places you have never had the chance to. I know that is my aim.Sort of like going down the freeway and suddenly taking a back road to see how the locals live.

John
Nusailr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:46   #114

Boat: 50' Cat (someday) ok maybe 45' Cat

well now we know. were it not for facebook....
now what?? let the story continue....
Old 10-05-2011, 13:05   #115
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

ok hwre it is--starter toasted self 1 mi nrth of cedros-- sailed in circles as no wind for a bit-- ouch-- stil lin ce3edros until weds for starter receipt-- more later-- didnt die and juan is awesome...... later guys..LOL...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 13:09   #116

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
John A - because outside of serving as an extended enhanced "vanity page", blogs are also a diary of events for your own purposes which you can look back on...
yeah...gad there are so many blogs out there that are "look at me!"
I just asked a question. More in jest than anything.

For myself in the days before so many laptops and wiif, I used internet cafes, and sent over a ream of paper printouts of emails to about 40 people who not only asked for more information but passed the emails on to others. I also used the emails to establish a sail plain and a timeframe of arrival.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 13:27   #117

Zee posted a more complete run down of what happened in her site: sksolitarybird.com
Old 10-05-2011, 13:29   #118

As an aside... I find being able to follow her track and then get the details of what happened to be very interesting and a good learning tool.

It's great to see that something was up. We all speculated a bit about it and I got a lot of great exposure to possible things that could go wrong through the discussion. And then to get the actual story from Zee... I find it pretty educational for a newbie.

Thanks to all the CF users who share their experiences and their knowledge with us newbies!
Old 10-05-2011, 14:50   #119

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
As an aside... I find being able to follow her track and then get the details of what happened to be very interesting and a good learning tool.

It's great to see that something was up. We all speculated a bit about it and I got a lot of great exposure to possible things that could go wrong through the discussion. And then to get the actual story from Zee... I find it pretty educational for a newbie.

Thanks to all the CF users who share their experiences and their knowledge with us newbies!
I totally agree with you. I love living vicariously through others and was checking this thread many times a day to see what was up. I've followed the positions and blogs of many cruisers and racers and have learned a lot.

I just suddenly got an image of ME out there on the other end and suddenly didn't like it that much. The blog is fine, and maybe the occasional position report, but the instant by instant stuff freaked me out a bit. I can see stopping to have a swim or watch a whale and having my friends and family suddenly wondering if I'd broken down and if they should call the coast guard. I guess I'm sort of a private person sometimes. It was all starting to feel a bit like the Truman show.

I think the lesson for me is that if I can control what and when information gets out then I will feel better. I also don't feel like I'm alone in the big old world if I have people looking over my shoulder. I have friends who aren't installing an SSB for this reason. They don't want to talk to people. They have a weatherfax receiver and an EPIRB. They say they feel like slaves to the scheds otherwise. I guess I understand what they mean, though I'll probably take an SSB.

Chris
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 14:57   #120
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

perhaps it is a mind set...

do you always answer your cell phone when it rings?

The secret for me in living harmoniously with my technology is that I use IT, not the other way around...

seems as if this might be the same issue...

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote