Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2009, 20:58   #31

Jessica Haiku #2

The first real lesson
Learned after only a day:
Big ships are quite hard.
Old 06-10-2009, 21:09   #32

Jessica Limerick #1

There once was a girl with a boat,
'Round the world was her goal to float;
She's rolled the dice
Against David's advice,
And hasn't set sail with a goat.
Old 06-10-2009, 22:02   #33

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
At least, at the very least, she is attempting something great while I sit on my ass staring at one screen or another, criticizing.
Old 07-10-2009, 15:05   #34

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post
At least, at the very least, she is attempting something great while I sit on my ass staring at one screen or another, criticizing.
Good point.

Here's hoping she get it done. I wonder how many of us forum members will actually go ahead with OUR plans? Its pretty easy to sit in harbour and comment on others' adventures, perhaps while thinking we aren't ready or will be NEXT year.

As they say in the SAS, Who dares, Wins.

Go for it Jessica, may the sea gods smile on you.

Sabre
58 days n a wake up.
Old 07-10-2009, 16:17   #35

Gord, your "three kinds of people" comment really cracked me up. Good stuff.

I can't say I'm all that worried about Jessica's safety. If she believes she can do it, then good luck to her! I'd like to see her succeed. What's the worst that could happen, perhaps getting run over by a freighter?

Cheers

Trev
Old 07-10-2009, 20:54   #36

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Thumbs up

Hear Hear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreKai View Post
Good point.

Here's hoping she get it done. I wonder how many of us forum members will actually go ahead with OUR plans? Its pretty easy to sit in harbour and comment on others' adventures, perhaps while thinking we aren't ready or will be NEXT year.

As they say in the SAS, Who dares, Wins.

Go for it Jessica, may the sea gods smile on you.

Sabre
58 days n a wake up.
Go Jessica!
Old 15-10-2009, 01:27   #37

Boat: Oceanic 46 (Jack Savage)
Thought I'd post this pic, to get this back up & running seeing how the negative thread is raging away. Why do people enjoy negativity?

Jess+3.jpg (image)

Nice Pic
Old 15-10-2009, 03:55   #38
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Let me be clear on my position, I dont know if she will make it, I dont know if she has enough experience, I do know her age is irrelevant and I do know its no one's business but herself. I know she hit a moving ship and I know PWC hit a stationary rock.

I cant accept that people who have never met this girl think that because her boat is pink that that somehow makes her unfit to go to see.

My position is that its none of the assembled throngs business. I particularly dislike the - I am a mother/father therefore I am qualified to have an opinion group. I too am a father - I let my children live their own lives and offer advice when asked for. They seem to be doing okay. And just because I managed to have two children (it actually wasn't that hard to have children - hard to raise - not hard to have them) doesn't actually make me an expert on all children - particularly those half way round the world.
Old 15-10-2009, 04:30   #39

Boat: PDQ 32 DogHouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Safe voyage, Jessica...

Patriotism is NOT “My country - right or wrong!"
Patriotism IS: “My Country! When right keep it right; when wrong, set it right!” (Carl Schurz), or as Edward R. Murrow put it: “We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty. When the loyal opposition dies, I think the soul of America dies with it.”
Gord, I'd love to follow this thought with you sometime over a beer.

More on topic. While I don't support this venture I, of course, do wish her safe travels.
Old 15-10-2009, 04:45   #40
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
I'm always up for a beer and a philosophical discussion!!!

Old 15-10-2009, 06:29   #41

Boat: Valiant 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Let me be clear on my position, I dont know if she will make it, I dont know if she has enough experience, I do know her age is irrelevant and I do know its no one's business but herself. I know she hit a moving ship and I know PWC hit a stationary rock.

I cant accept that people who have never met this girl think that because her boat is pink that that somehow makes her unfit to go to see.

My position is that its none of the assembled throngs business. I particularly dislike the - I am a mother/father therefore I am qualified to have an opinion group. I too am a father - I let my children live their own lives and offer advice when asked for. They seem to be doing okay. And just because I managed to have two children (it actually wasn't that hard to have children - hard to raise - not hard to have them) doesn't actually make me an expert on all children - particularly those half way round the world.

I agree, pity there are not more of us that take an open minded view.

I have been reading the Fail thread with much amusement and some shame. There is a mean spirit in our society these days, I watch with dismay at a segment of the US population cheering when Chicago failed to win the rights to host the Olympics - apparently. they were happy to see their President fail. I see this same mean spirited, self righteous mindset on the Fail thread.

I just think its the society we live in these days, which encourages this mean spirit. People are no longer able to cheer someone on because they're having a "go", instead they focus on the negative and work to drag everything down and all the while praying and hoping for everyone else's misfortune. Or maybe, its simply boils down to the naysayers having such miserable lives and knowing no joy and happiness.

In the meantime, I wish Jessica all the very best and godspeed.

Succeed or fail, it doesn't really matter - as long as she gives it a bloody good go.
Old 15-10-2009, 06:47   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Here's the thing:

Maybe she's ready; maybe she's not ...

BUT, all the media hype and the sponsorship (they go hand-in-hand) that the Watsons have actively sought makes it harder for Jessica to back out of this venture. This applies not only to her departure but to the whole voyage. She will have enough on her mind in the Southern Ocean, and it seems a little unfair to additionally burden her with the potential for a very public failure. Teenagers in particular are sensitive to that sort of thing.

It's one thing for Ellen MacArthur to juggle all the expectations and make an informed (adult) decision whether to push on or not. It's entirely another thing for a barely 16-year-old girl.

I am not saying she should or she shouldn't, I am only throwing this consideration into the mix. Frankly, I think it's the 800-lbs gorilla in the cockpit.
Old 15-10-2009, 09:32   #43

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
I'm always up for a beer and a philosophical discussion!!!

And the more beer consumed the more sillyosophical our discussion will become..

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Old 15-10-2009, 14:00   #44
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
Here's the thing:

Maybe she's ready; maybe she's not ...

BUT, all the media hype and the sponsorship (they go hand-in-hand) that the Watsons have actively sought makes it harder for Jessica to back out of this venture. This applies not only to her departure but to the whole voyage. She will have enough on her mind in the Southern Ocean, and it seems a little unfair to additionally burden her with the potential for a very public failure. Teenagers in particular are sensitive to that sort of thing.

It's one thing for Ellen MacArthur to juggle all the expectations and make an informed (adult) decision whether to push on or not. It's entirely another thing for a barely 16-year-old girl.

I am not saying she should or she shouldn't, I am only throwing this consideration into the mix. Frankly, I think it's the 800-lbs gorilla in the cockpit.

OK - can you keep the negativity for the Fail thread - and the obnoxious unfunny Goat thread? theres a good chap.

But seriously - what therefore do you think the rules should be, how old, how long should the boat be, how many hulls should it have, what electronics, when , what route. Its all well and good to say HMMM she is too young, - how old is old enough.

All the naysayers seem to have an opinion on people they have never met, but dont offer any empirical positions of their own to debate.
Old 15-10-2009, 14:14   #45
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
OK - can you keep the negativity for the Fail thread - and the obnoxious unfunny Goat thread? theres a good chap.
Fair enuf you want to support Jessica's venture, but why then knock the Goat's forthcoming similar voyage? It''s not a race............
Closed Thread

Tags
jessica watson