Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2009, 22:34   #61
Registered User
 
cat man do's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brisbane Australia [until the boats launched]
Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Posts: 4,409
Images: 36
__________________

__________________
"Money can't buy you happiness but it can buy you a yacht large enough to pull up right alongside it"...............David Lee Roth
Long Distance Motorboat Cruising – It Is Possible on a Small Budget
cat man do is offline  
Old 17-10-2009, 22:47   #62
Registered User
 
Stillraining's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Puget Sound
Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Posts: 2,876
Got it ..wasent zoomed in close enough
__________________

__________________
"Go simple, go large!".

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline  
Old 18-10-2009, 01:07   #63
Moderator
 
Boracay's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Pelican Bay, Great Sandy National Park
Boat: Steel Roberts Offshore 44
Posts: 5,175
Images: 18
Weather...

Sydney Coastal Waters, Broken Bay to Port Hacking and 60nm seawards:
Sunday until midnight: Wind: E/NE 5/10 knots.Sea: about 1 metre. Swell: S/SE 1.5 metres.
Monday: Wind: NW to 10 knots, tending SE/NE 10/15 knots in the afternoon.Sea: to 1 metre. Swell: S/SE 1 to 1.5 metres.
Tuesday: Wind: NW/NE 10/15 knots, freshening to 15/20 knots from NE during afternoon.
Wednesday: Wind: N/NW 15/20 knots ahead of an afternoon S'ly change 20/30 knots.
__________________
Rust never sleeps
Boracay Blog.
Boracay is offline  
Old 18-10-2009, 01:41   #64
Registered User
 
swagman's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Posts: 2,175
Images: 10
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
Go Girl!.... and God is with you if you ask/want him to be.
Him? Are you sure on that one?

JOHN
__________________
Don't take life too seriously. No ones going to make it out alive......Go see our blog at http://www.sailblogs.com/member/yachtswagman/
swagman is offline  
Old 18-10-2009, 06:53   #65
Registered User
 
cat man do's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brisbane Australia [until the boats launched]
Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Posts: 4,409
Images: 36
WTF???

Whats going on here?

Looked at AIS and couldnt find her after last seeing here drifting around at close enough to 0 knots so had a look on
Port of Sydney - all ships live - vesseltracker.com and she pops up to the north and back in port at 10:50 pm 10+est

__________________
"Money can't buy you happiness but it can buy you a yacht large enough to pull up right alongside it"...............David Lee Roth
Long Distance Motorboat Cruising – It Is Possible on a Small Budget
cat man do is offline  
Old 18-10-2009, 07:39   #66
Long Range Cruiser
 
MarkJ's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Posts: 12,828
Images: 25
Popping back in the dead of night to pick up extra crew and McDonalds
__________________
Notes on a Circumnavigation.
OurLifeAtSea.com

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline  
Old 18-10-2009, 10:02   #67
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus
 
TaoJones's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Montrose, Colorado
Posts: 9,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
WTF???

Whats going on here?

Looked at AIS and couldnt find her after last seeing here drifting around at close enough to 0 knots so had a look on
Port of Sydney - all ships live - vesseltracker.com and she pops up to the north and back in port at 10:50 pm 10+est

As some others have suggested, cat man do, that may be a stale map - a position report from before she left. The other vessel shown near her on the vesseltracker.com page, Ricochet, is now well up the coast and at a marina in Crystal Bay according to the AIS display on marinetraffic.com: Live Ships Map - AIS - Vessel Traffic and Positions

TaoJones
__________________
"Your vision becomes clear only when you look into your own heart. Who looks outside, dreams; who looks within, awakens."
Carl Gustav Jung (1875-1961)
TaoJones is offline  
Old 18-10-2009, 12:12   #68
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 52
Hmm, despite numerous mentions on both her blog and website of people being able to follow and "track" her voyage, there is actually NO tracking info at all. No maps, no links, no Google earth tracks/routes, nothing.

Fans were able to track Zac right from day one, you'd think JW's handlers/sponsors would be eager for people to be able to track her progress like that too. Right now her sites are pretty boring, especially with the heavy-handed comment moderating (they only approve 100% positive comments and delete all others).
__________________
Bark is offline  
Old 18-10-2009, 12:47   #69
Moderator Emeritus
 
GordMay's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario - 48-29N x 89-20W
Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Posts: 31,577
Images: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bark View Post
Hmm, despite numerous mentions on both her blog and website of people being able to follow and "track" her voyage, there is actually NO tracking info at all. No maps, no links, no Google earth tracks/routes, nothing...
From Jessica’s Blog (Oct. 18/09)
Jessica Watson - youngest ever to sail around the world

“... So finally, the journey has begun for Jessica and we will be updating you all regularly. For the many bloggers that have enquired, yes, we will have a tracking system in place once Jessica gets through the first two weeks of the voyage. So please be patient with us...”

In other news ... just say yes.

Jessica Watson's father, Roger, says it would be worse to deny his daughter permission to [sic: try to] sail solo around the world, than to lose her in the attempt.

Speaking on the Nine Network's 60 Minutes program last night, Roger Watson said he was supportive of his 16-year-old daughter's solo circumnavigation of the world.

"It would be devastating if we lost her . . . but I still think it would be worse to say 'no you can't go' because of that risk, because of what she's put into it," he said.

Source ➥ Jess's dream 'worth dying for'

He didn't say anything about supporting this endeavour, at a later date. I suppose, the record is the essential feat, not the circumnavigation.
__________________
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"



GordMay is offline  
Old 18-10-2009, 13:09   #70
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 52
“... So finally, the journey has begun for Jessica and we will be updating you all regularly. For the many bloggers that have enquired, yes, we will have a tracking system in place once Jessica gets through the first two weeks of the voyage. So please be patient with us...”

Thanks, I hadn't seen that.

Wonder what the reason is for the delay in tracking. I mean, they've had over a year to plan this. Zac's parents had no problem setting up and maintaining his google earth track, while JW has a whole "team" plus a PR firm working for her...do they not know how to do it, or are they for whatever reason, deliberately delaying releasing the tracking info? If so, what would the reason be?
__________________
Bark is offline  
Old 18-10-2009, 13:29   #71
Senior Cruiser
 
Ocean Girl's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: In transit ( Texas to wherever the wind blows us)
Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Posts: 4,115
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bark View Post
“... So finally, the journey has begun for Jessica and we will be updating you all regularly. For the many bloggers that have enquired, yes, we will have a tracking system in place once Jessica gets through the first two weeks of the voyage. So please be patient with us...”

Thanks, I hadn't seen that.

Wonder what the reason is for the delay in tracking. I mean, they've had over a year to plan this. Zac's parents had no problem setting up and maintaining his google earth track, while JW has a whole "team" plus a PR firm working for her...do they not know how to do it, or are they for whatever reason, deliberately delaying releasing the tracking info? If so, what would the reason be?

Maybe its just to give the gal and her Pink Lady some breating room from all the eyes, she is out there, lets give her some space.
Erika
__________________
Ocean Girl is offline  
Old 18-10-2009, 14:34   #72
Moderator Emeritus
 
GordMay's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario - 48-29N x 89-20W
Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Posts: 31,577
Images: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bark View Post
... Wonder what the reason is for the delay in tracking... JW has a whole "team" plus a PR firm working for her...do they not know how to do it, or are they for whatever reason, deliberately delaying releasing the tracking info? If so, what would the reason be?
Who cares - the whole endeavour is simply a stunt- why should this one aspect of the performance make any practical sense?
__________________
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"



GordMay is offline  
Old 18-10-2009, 14:34   #73
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 298
She got back on the horse that bucked her. You go girl.
__________________
TexSail is offline  
Old 18-10-2009, 15:14   #74
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Who cares - the whole endeavour is simply a stunt- why should this one aspect of the performance make any practical sense?
While I feel she lacks the experienced to succeed, I don't think it's a "stunt" either. And also this type of cynical negative comment really ought to be in the other thread doncha think?
__________________
Bark is offline  
Old 18-10-2009, 16:41   #75
Marine Service Provider
 
Factor's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Brisbane Australia
Boat: Corsair Dash MKII
Posts: 4,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Who cares - the whole endeavour is simply a stunt- why should this one aspect of the performance make any practical sense?
Dear oh Dear. What an embittered person. A stunt you say!

It may be stupid, it may be dangerous It may be many things - a stunt it is not.
__________________

__________________
Factor is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
jessica watson

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jessica Watson Artful Dodger Cruising News & Events 10 16-06-2010 05:39
How Secure Are Yachting Harnesses? chala Health, Safety & Related Gear 28 21-01-2010 17:05
Yachting FAIL - Jessica Watson cat man do Cruising News & Events 944 28-10-2009 08:50



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 22:52.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.