Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-10-2009, 08:03   #691

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
- - Here is a link to the departure ABC news report and a good video of the departure: Jessica Watson sets sail - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
- - How is she steering the boat. Is it a tiller? There does not seem to be any wheel or tiller or "normal" way of steering. She appears to reach up underneath the dodger with one hand and do something. Is the boat totally on an autopilot steering system at all times, even when leaving or entering a harbor? There is also some audio of a couple speaking Australian - can anybody translate the into English?
- - In another ABC news article about her departure it was reported: "Ms Watson's support team says the teenager's location will always be known through GPS tracking on her clothing." Now maybe that is a good idea for land-based parents to buy their kids that kind of clothing.
Old 18-10-2009, 08:31   #692

Boat: S&S Hughes 38
You guys should just leave her be for a while,give it a month,or at least until she screws up again.The pressure must surely be getting to her by now.If you can get a drivers license at 16,and drive a weapon on wheels,then she can do what she wants.
Old 18-10-2009, 08:31   #693

Boat: Watkins 27
If you look closely you will see she is steering using a tiller with an extension.

Old 18-10-2009, 16:47   #694

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostmt View Post
If you look closely you will see she is steering using a tiller with an extension.
Why does this boat have a tiller instead of a wheel?
Old 18-10-2009, 17:00   #695
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by highseas View Post
If you can get a drivers license at 16,and drive a weapon on wheels,then she can do what she wants.
Good. Glad you agree with me. She ain't allowed to drive till 17.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 18-10-2009, 17:01   #696

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bark View Post
Why does this boat have a tiller instead of a wheel?
Dunno - simpler and easier to fix steering and autopilot? We'll see how well it works in the Southern Ocean which she will encounter fairly early on her planned route.

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
Old 18-10-2009, 17:37   #697
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by slomotion View Post
Dunno - simpler and easier to fix steering and autopilot? .
Because you can lift a tiller and tie it up, increasing cockpit space.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 18-10-2009, 20:12   #698

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Tillers are easier to repair / less likely to break in bad weather
Erika
Old 18-10-2009, 20:25   #699
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Why would she want something as wankerish as a wheel??

Tillers work way better with self steering gear. The vane doesn't have to overpower all the mumbo jumbo mechanical garbage that comes with a wheel. As has been stated tillers are direct connect to the rudder with virtually nothing to break. Tillers also steer a boat way better than a wheel, much faster reacting, good feedback, can be steered with the legs leaving the hands free to handle sails or whatever and don't waste a whole bunch of boat units for useless benefit, and can be set up with sheet to tiller so the boat can steer itself without any mechanical devices.

I give her a big thumbs up for having a tiller. Would have thought she was an utter fool if she had a wheel.

Aloha
Peter O.
Old 18-10-2009, 20:36   #700

With a tiller you can steer with you foot and hold two drinks in your hands... not that I would know anything about doing that.
Old 19-10-2009, 00:58   #701

Boat: Mahe 36 Wayward Wind
Tiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostmt View Post
Here is a photo I took when she sailed past.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jessica tiller.JPG
Views:	205
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	10598  
Old 19-10-2009, 02:53   #702

I hope that hard dodger has got some decent backing plates. It looks like its ready to get ripped off by the first wave.
Old 19-10-2009, 03:56   #703
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Dear oh Dear. What an embittered person. A stunt you say!
It may be stupid, it may be dangerous It may be many things - a stunt it is not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bark View Post
While I feel she lacks the experienced to succeed, I don't think it's a "stunt" either. And also this type of cynical negative comment really ought to be in the other thread doncha think?
I’m cross-posting (from ’Yachting SUCCEED - Jessica Watson’) in the interest of maintaining peace in that playground, even though I don’t believe that any one-sided conversation can be considered a worthwhile discussion.

What reason, other than to break a record (that doesn’t even “officially” exist), can there be for her to go now?

Her unshakable dream isn’t to sail round the world (solo, not-stop, unassisted) - it’s to become the youngest to do so.

To me, that would be a frivolous accomplishment. A difficult exploit, to be sure; but, nonetheless a fruitless and trivial feat, bereft of any real meaning or valuable benefit, other than notoriety. That constitutes a “stunt”.

To risk a child’s life, in such a trivial pursuit, seems (to me) to be grossly irresponsible. It violates a parent’s first essential responsibility; which is to protect our child from mortal harm. All other parental responsibilities are subservient to the imperative that we keep them (children) alive. Saying no isn’t necessarily “mean spirited”, and certainly doesn’t denote “bitterness”.

Even those who feel that a/this sixteen year old is essentially a young adult*, must ask themselves if the goal is worth the risk.

* Adulthood and maturity are not finite points on a line that one can achieve; but the more or less process of “becoming”.

I reiterate that I think that this particular goal (“youngest”) is trivial, and the risk substantial (mortal). I believe that generally sixteen year olds are on the cusp of adulthood, for many purposes - but not Jessica, for this purpose.

Others calculate the risk:benefit ratio differently, drawing inspiration from her attempt to become youngest, and might agree with her father’s belief that “it would be worse to deny his daughter permission to attempt the record than to lose her during the voyage”.

Jessica Watson's father says solo sailing dream is worth dying for - Telegraph

I respectfully disagree.

I also disagree with the characterization that my (admittedly negative) opinion suggests a mean-spirit, bitterness, or cynicism.

Old 19-10-2009, 04:22   #704
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
“it would be worse to deny his daughter permission to attempt the record than to lose her during the voyage”.

Jessica Watson's father says solo sailing dream is worth dying for - Telegraph
That to me is a disturbing attitude. But IME not a surprise. Being a parent don't mean folks stop being a f#cked up puppy in the head, just another avenue to express it.

But nonetheless interesting to see the word "permission" - leaving aside that if she is legally an adult (my understanding is that in Oz she is) she does not need his parental permission..........he has no doubt enabled this venture by providing material resources as well as encouragement.

The one issue I disagree with GORD on is that if she is an adult then, good idea or foolhardy, IMO she is perfectly entitled to go - I don't want someone else deciding for me, therefore I extend that courtesy to others...........but that doesnt also mean my approval, nor that I won't criticise - and I would accept that folks will do the same in return.

No doubt once this venture has concluded the circus will move on - maybe to the youngest Astronaut? Probably someone right now building a rocket in their back garden with the plan being to strap a 3 year old onto the nose cone...............politeness prevents me from opening a book on which country is most likely to provide the worlds first "Toddlernaut"
Old 19-10-2009, 05:41   #705
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
The media has been invited to the circus here.

Gord, you should know that she must go now to be the first, youngest, cutest, pinkest. The cameras (and sponsors) aren't going to follow her otherwise. This has had to be a major factor in the decision making and that seems a dangerous thing to me.

Maybe I am wrong here, but it seems the important thing is not to circumnavigate, but to gain fame in the process.

Tags
jessica watson