Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2009, 19:23   #301
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
It also found Jessica could not produce "course plots on paper charts or waypoints on the plotter"
That absolutely beggars belief.

I know I often dismiss paper charts, but at least I have my full course on my helm chartplotter and a separate one on the laptop and for long passages (or difficult ones) the waypoints also loaded into a hand held GPS.

Even if the voyage was a work to wind one has the important waypoints, danger marks and boundaries.
One of the most important things in that area to have plotted are the sea mounts. It goes from 2,000 meters deep to 200 meteres deep in a number of places and in any turn of weather they swells over them can be huge. They are great places to avoid.

Now can I tell you about Elizabeth and Middleton reefs? Far off the coast but right on the route if you are working to windward are Australias most perilous reefs. They seem to get themselves right in the path of any voyage.
I think there are 32 known sinkings and up to 90 in total!
29 57 S 159 06 E
Quote:
Both Elizabeth and Middleton Reefs have been the site of numerous shipwrecks. According to the National Shipwrecks Database the ships stranded at Elizabeth Reef include: Britannia, Colonist, Douglas, Elizabeth, Naiad, Packet, Ramsay, Rosetta Joseph, Tyrian
Elizabeth Reef has not retired from claiming unwary sailors with its most recent victim reported in August 2007. The British sailor, Steve Landles, was winched to an Australian Navy Sea Hawk Helicopter from is stranded yacht Lamachan on 2 August 2007; however, the yacht could not be recovered.[6]

Wikipaedia

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 25-09-2009, 19:24   #302
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Hi,

I looked at the 'blind' guy's site and it looks he is a different kind of stuff than the girls. Actually, I believe he stands a good chance of success.

b.
You’re right…this guy Kristopher Scheppe has accomplished a great dea, obviously loves the seal and is to be admired.

But is he doing this circumnavigation Solo on board?

The web site is not clear on that.

It is clear that he has a strong team consisting of PR and Events coordinators and where to make donations.

But how will he know if a masthead shackle or fitting has come loose?

Sometimes common sense dictates that you accept your limitations and make the best without unnecessarily endangering yourself or others.

However ..I wish him the best of luck and he has earned my respect
Old 25-09-2009, 19:46   #303

Boat: a sailing boat
He has the disability that seems to be possibly worsening over time. However, it seems to me that now he can still see within a limited sector right in front of him.

I believe he has a good chance and if his health is as stated on the site then the risk is bigger than say for you or me but not big enough to justify giving up the case.

The route is to be from the USA coast through the southern ocean, I believe.

The shackles, the fittings ... well, with the right boat I believe there should be few breakdowns. It is not the job to be undertaken on a boat with dubious rig - since the human factor is already more vulnerable, the boat must be a tip-top condition and already something he knows and has sailed, I agree.

b.
Old 25-09-2009, 20:30   #304

Boat: Wharram Tiki 31 Slipper
"Satisfied there were no immediate dangers (Jessica) put her head down for 10 minutes,'' the report said. Authorities believed the teenager then dozed off.

WHAT...I see a ship twenty miles off an the adrenalin is pumping so hard theres no waaay i'd be able to 'duck below for a nap'
Old 25-09-2009, 21:15   #305
CF Adviser

Quote:
Originally Posted by creakyboy View Post
"Satisfied there were no immediate dangers (Jessica) put her head down for 10 minutes,'' the report said. Authorities believed the teenager then dozed off.

WHAT...I see a ship twenty miles off an the adrenalin is pumping so hard theres no waaay i'd be able to 'duck below for a nap'
Sleep of the innocent..... remember what that was like
Old 25-09-2009, 21:21   #306
CF Adviser

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
He has the disability that seems to be possibly worsening over time. However, it seems to me that now he can still see within a limited sector right in front of him.

I believe he has a good chance and if his health is as stated on the site then the risk is bigger than say for you or me but not big enough to justify giving up the case.

The route is to be from the USA coast through the southern ocean, I believe.

The shackles, the fittings ... well, with the right boat I believe there should be few breakdowns. It is not the job to be undertaken on a boat with dubious rig - since the human factor is already more vulnerable, the boat must be a tip-top condition and already something he knows and has sailed, I agree.

b.

Anyone who sails around the world and does not expect some kind of serious failure from a latent defect is kidding themselves.

Visual inspections of all key equipment is a normal part of sailing, but if Kristopher can see, then no problem
Old 25-09-2009, 22:51   #307

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
I don't like this thread. It's hurtful.
Old 26-09-2009, 00:00   #308
Long Range Cruiser

Futher to my post about the Gale areas of the Southern Ocean, I thought I better check on her exact route.

By the way, I note her website is titled
Code:
<title>Jessica Watson - youngest ever to sail around the world</title>

OK so I don't want to be sounding disingenuous, but she ISN'T the youngest ... she has not even started her attempt. Don't these people pushing her have the humility to say: ATTEMPT to be the .... ?
But that’s by-the-by. I’m beginning to sound disingenuous?

What I wanted to ask you opinion was her route as described on her website

Sydney - Fiji. – Equator - Kiribati - Chile - Cape Horn - a short rest.… close to the Falkland Islands - Cape of Good Hope - South of Tasmania - Sydney

Doing a quick distance estimate of the distance below 40 degrees south, from Chile, 3 Capes, Tassie to Sydney is about 11,000 NMs

It does say she is heading north after the Horn to take a rest near the Falkland Islands. A less restful place one can’t imagine!

It’s a long way for a 34 footer. Gypsy Moth IV was a 54 footer.... I know Little Dove was smaller.

Mark

Old 26-09-2009, 04:13   #309

Boat: Wharram Tiki 31 Slipper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Sleep of the innocent..... remember what that was like

Is that what they mean by 'no rest for the wicked'
Old 26-09-2009, 05:37   #310
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
[QUOTE=barnakiel;337450]
Quote:
Well, what do we call a statement like this?
Accurate pal - thats what you call it - 8 years in Federal Crime intelligence 20 Years a Qld Police Officer, Still working in the justice system now. Forgive me if I delude myself by thinking I know a little about law enforcement in this fine state.

Quote:
What else would you expect from any reasonable govt?
Not to stick its nose in where it has no lawful jurisdiction. And further, not to be paternalistic.

Quote:
Yes - govts do things right and wrong = if something comes from the govt it does not mean it is wrong. It may just as well be right. Right?
Wrong - the point of my comment was that the enquiry undertaken my MSQ was designed to convict Jessica of an offence - no more no less

Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post
So true

Quote:
t’s a long way for a 34 footer. Gypsy Moth IV was a 54 footer.... I know Little Dove was smaller.
Smallest australian boat to go round is what? about 12 foot. (ACROHC AUSTRALIS) I mean 34 foot was considered a largish boat in the time of Bill Nance and his colleagues Cardinal Vertue was about 25 foot, A number of TOP HAT 25s have done it.

Its not how big it is MArk - Its how you use it.
Old 26-09-2009, 06:10   #311
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Its not how big it is MArk - Its how you use it.
Exactly, Factor. And now the evidence is there, you must admit, that she can't use it.

Mark

Old 26-09-2009, 06:11   #312

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post
- - If you think about the under-tone of everything commented upon within this thread - you may sense one common theme - - The oceans are a cruel place and Mother Nature does not suffer fools.
- - Whenever in movies they want to invoke feeling of raw power they shows scenes of the ocean waves crashing upon the land. The oceans are relentless, powerful, and do not care whether humans exist or not.
- - After you have sailed the oceans for awhile you learn who is the boss - Mother Nature or you? (hint: it is not you). There is nobody within many nautical miles, hundreds of nm, sometimes thousands of nm to come over to rescue you from your folly or misfortune.
- - With the advent of marine stores full of hundreds of new whizz-bang electronics and boat manufacturers churning of "new-improved" this or that boat, people who are neither mentally or physically prepared to enter this hostile environment are venturing forth into a realm "where fools fear to tread." You see it all down the "Thorny
Old 26-09-2009, 06:40   #313
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Mark - my problem with this debate is

today its "she is 16 and shouldn't do it, "

next week its he is 80 he is too old, then its - a little pommie Sheila (dame Ellen) shouldn't be allowed to sail a 75 ft tri around the world on her own, then its a requirement to lodge voyage plans and OH we cant have a couple sail a boat on their own either - it must be a crew of at least 4 for any voyage where overnight passage is planned or expected.

I am sure you get my drift.

And given Qld's track record on draconian and quite frankly quite stupid marine law, then i dont necessarily think the issues above are just fantasy either.

My other problem with this is the sanctimonious and self righteous nature of the comments - After you have sailed the oceans for awhile you learn who is the boss - Mother Nature or you? (hint: it is not you). There is nobody within many nautical miles, hundreds of nm, sometimes thousands of nm to come over to rescue you from your folly or misfortune.

As we say in my line of work - No ***** Sherlock -
Old 26-09-2009, 06:58   #314
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Mark - my problem with this debate is

today its "she is 16 and shouldn't do it, "

I am sure you get my drift.
The drift is indeed in age. The ages keep getting lower till the 13 year old goes.. till the next youngest kid goes... till it gets to be like the youngest pilot of a plane accross the USA where a friggin 7 year old was killed triying to fly a plane!

Quote:
My other problem with this is the sanctimonious and self righteous nature of the comments - After you have sailed the oceans for awhile you learn who is the boss -
Thats not sanctimonious. Its an informed opinion expressed in the words of that person.
Sanctimonious meas "Feigning piety or righteousness"

I don't think osirissail is feigning nutthin'. I think he's done it and qualified to talk.

Mark

Old 26-09-2009, 07:01   #315

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Look guys, I think we are missing the big picture here. That report clearly shows what happened, and it very clearly conflicts with the version Jessica's father gave. He manufactured his version in order to make this whole venture look ship shape. Factor, you've been a policeman a long time, and as such, I know you have a finely tuned BS meter... C'mon man, not taking ANY maritime laws into account, these people are creepy!

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Closed Thread

Tags
jessica watson