Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2009, 20:10   #121

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwind View Post
Sounds like there are a lot of jealous sailors here.
Jealous of the girl who was almost run down by a tanker, or jealous of the guy who's boat was wrecked , lost a leg and almost died?
Old 13-09-2009, 21:07   #122

Jealous of a girl who is sixteen and will be sailing around the world on a beautiful boat that is soon to be refit and underway from what I've read. Jealous that circumstances did not allow you to achieve, or even attempt to achieve such merit, at her age. How about jealous of the boat she's sailing, or that her circumstance allows her to refit it... hmmm how about jealous that her boat is painted pink with sails and trim to match LOL.
Old 13-09-2009, 22:17   #123

Quote:
Jealous of a girl who is sixteen and will be sailing around the world on a beautiful boat that is soon to be refit and underway from what I've read
Nope, I certainly would not have wanted to be doing that at 16, though I was playing on boats a lot then, gee I was even building them.

Career, Girls and fun were more what I was looking for at 16, not the self imposed prison that will be that yacht for the next 12 mths.

Quote:
Jealous that circumstances did not allow you to achieve,
She hasn't yet

Quote:
or even attempt to achieve such merit, at her age.
I did a 4 year apprenticeship from 16, does that count?
I suppose if I had wanted a boat to sail the world in I probably could have, but I would never have expected or asked my parents for it or wanted to put them in that position.

Could I also suggest that things may be a lot easier for those that want to do something like this now compared to back in my day, "Baby Boomer Bank" easy credit and easier sponsorship comes to mind.
Quote:
How about jealous of the boat she's sailing,
Nah, S&S never did it for me and mono's certainly don't anymore, so no jealousy there.

Quote:
or that her circumstance allows her to refit it
I must admit,having people falling over me giving me free stuff would be good, guess I'm just not good looking enough eh?

I'm doing the boat in my avatar, do you want to give me some free stuff pleeeeeeaaase.
Quote:
hmmm how about jealous that her boat is painted pink with sails and trim to match LOL.
Nah, that doesn't work for me either, sorry.
Old 14-09-2009, 05:01   #124
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Off Topic Alert:

I have never understood how a sponsored boat can claim to make an UN-ASSISTED voyage. Yes, I know the official definition but it doesn't hold water for me.

Still - good luck Jessica - whatever happens!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 14-09-2009, 07:04   #125
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post

I have never understood how a sponsored boat can claim to make an UN-ASSISTED voyage.
Yes there is no way a 16 year old has done what it takes: got off their ass and earned money enough to do it.

Its one of the most pathetic 'records' invented... along with hamburger eating and longest daisy-chain...

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 14-09-2009, 07:19   #126
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Perhaps The Guinness Book of World Records needs change their policy so that they do not list any "youngest" records which potentially puts the childs life at risk.

This of course would not stop any record attempts by itself. It would though remove much of the glamor which would have the result of discouraging such attempts.

Life begins where land ends.
Old 14-09-2009, 07:59   #127
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Oddly enough, the Guinness World Records website prohibits those under 13 from using their website.

“By using the Site, you represent and warrant that you are 13 years of age or older. Your account may be terminated without warning, if we believe that you are less than 13 years of age.”

http://community.guinnessworldrecord...Action?as=7691

Old 14-09-2009, 08:15   #128
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Long quote as its relevant

Guinness World Records - Member - How To Become A Guinness World Records Holder
Quote:
<LI class=isit>...based on your age?

We do monitor records for the oldest or youngest people to achieve certain feats of universal interest, such as oldest person to climb Mount Everest, or the oldest person to walk on the wing of an airborne aircraft. However, because it is not possible for us to publish oldest and youngest-person-to variations for every one of our existing records, such records are the exception rather than the rule.
We do not generally consider any 'youngest-person-to' records where the age of the participants is limited by licensing or other legal requirements. For instance, in most countries the youngest age at which someone can legally drive is limited by law, and it is not unusual for people to obtain their driving licence on the day they become eligible (i.e. their birthday).

Examples of proposals that we will not accept:
Most sit ups by a twelve year old
Fastest marathon by a pensioner
Strongest child in the world
Youngest solo pilot

Examples of records we do accept:
Oldest person to run a marathon
Oldest driver
Youngest person to climb Mt Everest
Youngest solo trans-Atlantic Sailor
There is one new catagory: Youngest Person Killed seeking World Record.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 14-09-2009, 08:17   #129

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Thought I'd pipe up and dip my toes in this uh er discussion. At 15 I wanted a sailboat "real bad", I asked my dad if I could have one and he said "sure, save up your money and buy one" It took 4 years but I was living aboard by 19. I guess what I am trying to say is if you are determined, even at a young age, it can be done. But parenting is setting goals to help shape the character of your child, maybe this is, for some reason this situation just doesn't jive for me. I cheered Zac all the way around the world, why am I not doing the same for this girl? I don't know. I am definitely praying for her safety.

This situation seems very different from a kid saving her money and working towards a goal. Many things are being handed to her without the blood sweat and tears to obtain it. I certainly would not want my kid, don't have any so I can give this opinion with blissful ignorance . Anyways, would not want my 16 year old sailing offshore, and in the Roaring forties no less! BUT maybe she is what she says she is - a competent sailor, who knows?

What I am hoping to come out of all this is:

Jessica is safe and sound, whether she sailed around the world or not.

Too many stories of ships hitting vessels and not stopping to assist, maybe this collision will bring that problem to light-

BTW if I hit a big ship I would consider it my fault. period.
1. They cannot maneuver like we can. (that should be reason enough)
2. All discussions of who has the right of way is mute to me and very unrealistic to real world, has anyone ever had a frieghter change course to avoid their little boat? 20,000 plus ocean miles and I have never had a frieghter alter course for me. We are hard to see!! I have lost 400 foot freighters in heavy seas, why should I expect a ship to see my 30-40 foot boat. I consider myself invisible and the responsible vessel to stay out of the way of other vessels. I believe this attitude will keep me from being run over (my biggest fear)
3. Ships are "working vessels" - we are out there playing (don't ask me why that matters to me but it does).

Well, thats my peanut gallery opinion..hope it made sense. This has been a very thought provoking thread, it has gotten a bit heated but we sailors are a passionate lot .

Cheers,
Erika

PS
am I jealous? heck yeah! But God spoils me enough as it is
Old 14-09-2009, 08:44   #130
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
The Guiness Book of World Records policy seems rather inconsistent with respect to "youngest" records. On one hand they will list youngest to reach the top of Everest and on the other hand they will not list youngest to solo an airplane. Both are inherently dangerous. I wonder what their policy will be when it comes to the youngest to circumnavigate by sailboat?

I just know some child is going to die first before this is stopped. I don't think I am being cynical either, just realistic.

Life begins where land ends.
Old 14-09-2009, 09:30   #131
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I have had a freighter alter course for me. Sailing from P.V. Mexico to Cabo in snot weather. I realise in snot weather chances are they are not going to see that TINY stern light. They will see a million candle power spot light though, and me being alive is prooof of it.......i2f
Old 14-09-2009, 09:46   #132

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter
Ocean Girl, I agree with you. Especially, "BTW if I hit a big ship I would consider it my fault. period." It seems clear from several of the news accounts that she had sighted the ship well in advance, had radio communication with them but there was a language barrier, and her father is quoted as saying she tried twice to change course but somehow failed to avoid the tanker. Well, doh! I am dumbfounded that anyone who is an even average sailor would have trouble tacking or coming about in time to miss a ship that big. Puzzling and a bit disappointing re the competency of the whole enterprise. And another nagging question, how could a sailor be below when aware how close to the bulk carrier their boat was sailing??? The only answere that suggests itself to me at this point, is that she thought others would watch out for her. Oh dear, oh dear!
Old 14-09-2009, 11:56   #133

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Actually, at times it can be dicey avoiding a freighter. If you read the lights wrong, the ship will be on you faster than you can yell "I have the right of way" over the radio . Once, in the northwest passage, I tacked twice and was STILL on a collision course, don't ask me how ( I read the lights wrong but will never admit it!!). But let me tell you - it got exciting real fast. Once the ship was close enough to run me down, only then could I make out her true course and get the heck out of the way. It was very surreal to watch a ship for over twenty minutes, looking through the binox, studying her speed, and bearing and still almost get run over! So I completely see how we get in the scrapes we get into.

What would be interesting is to hear from someone who has actually sailed the route she wants to sail (non-stop along the capes). Has her parents sailed this route? or even hopped around the Horn? Do they truly know what she is going into? Are they offshore sailors? Anyone know?
Old 14-09-2009, 13:17   #134

Interesting reading on LSD Live Sail Die which is a Brisbane based forum (just south of Mooloolabah, 30 miles west of the collision) and saw this interesting comment
Quote:
I have trained both my daughters from very young to sail windsurfers, dinghy classes, and now they race a multihull with me in all conditions including this year's record-breaking Surf to City in humbling conditions, and the biggest of the St Helena Cup races in filthy conditions INSIDE MORETON BAY, as well as our nationals on Lake Macquarie in 40 knots but flat water. (This should make it easy to guess who I/we are/am).

I'll get flare guns pointed at me for this, but after watching some footage including the little girl feebly trying to pull the mainsheet on in the news last night, I will say here that my girls could have sailed rings around her at the same age, but there is no way I would let them out at that age on that challenge.

Get a laser or something similar and chase your mountains on a race course, try a cruise up to NQ and back on that nice boat, but please Jessica, don't go overboard and put your own life and the lives of your rescuers at risk.
Old 14-09-2009, 14:30   #135

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Quote:
Sounds like there are a lot of jealous sailors here.
So to not agree with something implies that one is jealous???
I don't agree with the whole concept of single-handed non-stops - regardless of the age of the sailor. It's a stunt of questionable legality. To bring up the case of the Emerald Jane - no-one was keeping watch when they went up on the reef - just proves the point that long-distance soloing is inherently stupid as no-one person can maintain a constant watch.
Closed Thread

Tags
jessica watson