Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2009, 10:50   #631
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1965 Cal 30
As it stands currently, (correct me if I'm wrong), fellow Aussie Jesse Martin still holds the record for "Alone, non-stop, unassisted" from his trip in 1999 at the age of 18.

His book "Lionheart" - about the ordeal - was said to be Jessica Watson's inspiration when she read it as a little girl.

As to whether Ms. Martin is really prepared and really understands what this voyage may offer, I'll only offer my favorite Jimmy Buffet reply: I don't know.

I've offered my opinion on the various opinions here. I hope she does understand and has the mental toughness preparation.
Old 14-10-2009, 11:07   #632
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainMurph View Post
As it stands currently, (correct me if I'm wrong), fellow Aussie Jesse Martin still holds the record for "Alone, non-stop, unassisted" from his trip in 1999 at the age of 18.
Hi Cap'n,

Do you have a link to anywhere that has any opinions about opinions on this?

Cheers
Old 14-10-2009, 11:11   #633
Marine Service Provider

Oops! I'll try to delete the duplicate post.
Old 14-10-2009, 11:28   #634

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
I just found this at the Mike Perham website. etc
I understand that Mike Perham is behind her attempt.

Somewhat cynically, why do we care what she does? She's reached the age of independence in Aussieland (16+) and she's legally allowed to do this by the numerical distinction assigned by that country. If she wanted to float away in a pink bucket with aspirations to go to the moon nobody could say no.

And I don't know why they would. I can think of nothing better than a great adventure like this to cure the idiocy of teenagerness.
Old 14-10-2009, 11:32   #635
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainMurph View Post
As to whether Ms. Martin is really prepared and really understands what this voyage may offer, I'll only offer my favorite Jimmy Buffet reply: I don't know.
I think you meant to type Ms. Watson, Captain Murph. And let's not shortchange Jimmy - the full statement is, "Hey, I don't know, and I don't care."

See: Jimmy Buffett - I Don't Know And I Don't Care Lyrics

TaoJones
Old 14-10-2009, 11:33   #636

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Don't mind the duplicate post - this thread could be renamed - "Stating my position (opinion), in as many creative ways I can think of, and as many times as I can get away with, untill the other side sees the light" .

I have run (don't ) out (like) of creative (her) ways (route)...

cheers,
Erika
Old 14-10-2009, 11:53   #637

Latest news: She is afraid to go because its windy.

Windy weather delays Jessica's departure | National News | News.com.au
Old 14-10-2009, 12:00   #638
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bark View Post

Your characterization of Ms. Watson as "afraid," Bark, assumes facts not in evidence. We speak often, here, about the wisdom of waiting for a good weather window, so it's unfair, I think, to call her "afraid" for what is probably good judgment.

I'm inclined to give her the benefit of the doubt on this one, and to me it's one of the first indications of greater maturity than many have assumed she possesses.

TaoJones
Old 14-10-2009, 12:10   #639

Okay agreed. Its true that the article does not state that she is afraid, only that her "team" is.

I guess I am just looking at it from the persepctive that these are typical of the winds she's going to be dealing with, so I don't understand the reluctance to just get started already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
Your characterization of Ms. Watson as "afraid," Bark, assumes facts not in evidence. We speak often, here, about the wisdom of waiting for a good weather window, so it's unfair, I think, to call her "afraid" for what is probably good judgment.

I'm inclined to give her the benefit of the doubt on this one, and to me it's one of the first indications of greater maturity than many have assumed she possesses.

TaoJones
Old 14-10-2009, 12:30   #640

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
A quote from her "team" - "We've made sure that we don't send her out into some blistering gale."

That quote is very concerning. Shouldn't she be sending herself out? This smacks of "handlers" and makes it sound as if she is not calling the shots.
I know I know - I'll say it for you...Duh

Cheers,
Erika
Old 14-10-2009, 12:51   #641
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Okay agreed. Its true that the article does not state that she is afraid, only that her "team" is.
I guess I am just looking at it from the persepctive that these are typical of the winds she's going to be dealing with, so I don't understand the reluctance to just get started already.
Everyone who cruises for any time, gets caught out in difficult weather. This falls under the heading of exigency.

Anyone who starts out in bad weather, gets what they deserve. This falls under ther heading of stupidity.

At least, "they" are avoiding that very basic mistake, even though faced with a "schedule" (her birthday) - the avoidance of which is cruisers' Rule 1.

Old 14-10-2009, 14:53   #642
Marine Service Provider

Quote:

After following this for the past couple of weeks, I doubt that this is the case.

Whether we agree with this whole thing or not, there are a few simple facts that make this latest story a bit more understandable.
  1. The whole thing has got lots of negative press; more people are against her efforts than support it.
  2. She just finished a 5-day trip down to Sydney beating into winds nearly this strong and with a couple of days of comparable seas.
  3. While her experience is constantly called into question, she reportedly has over 10,000 miles of open ocean passages under he belt.
Whether she is afraid or not is a matter of conjecture. She should certainly control what she can when she can; once she leaves Sydney it is up to her to deal with whatever is thrown in her direction.

As I stated before, I really can't say I support her effort - nor am I opposed to it. I'm just going to continue to gather the info on what's happening and leave the rest to readers.
Old 14-10-2009, 15:52   #643

Boat: Valiant 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
Don't mind the duplicate post - this thread could be renamed - "Stating my position (opinion), in as many creative ways I can think of, and as many times as I can get away with, untill the other side sees the light" .

I have run (don't ) out (like) of creative (her) ways (route)...

cheers,
Erika

Exactly!!

It looks like some posts were composed part way through a nice bottle of red wine and when finally drained, the Submit Reply button was hit with a suitable flourish.

Something paraphrased from Omar Khayyam below..

"The Moving Finger writes, and having writ,
Moves on; nor all your Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a line,
Nor all your tears wash out a Word of it."

Has its merits even today.
Old 14-10-2009, 17:09   #644

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
A quote from her "team" - "We've made sure that we don't send her out into some blistering gale."
Well, she's gonna get her arse kicked out there at some stage, best to get used to it near land and easy rescue/support if required I would have thought.

I know when I was getting used to my boat and my single handed sailing capabilities I used to go out and sail in some pretty ordinary weather in Moreton bay and then onto 50 mile triangles out and around Cape Moreton - Mooloolabah and out for shlts and giggles, figuring that better to do it there, where help was available, instead of having a trial by fire situation and trying to get the skills up when out in the middle of no where.
Old 14-10-2009, 17:54   #645

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
When old salts wait for a weather window we praise their decisions and if they ignore their better judgments and set off and something happens we then say they should have known better....but a young Lass does the same thing we call her coward or ill prepared?..

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Closed Thread

Tags
jessica watson