Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2009, 18:16   #526

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace View Post
SHE'S A CHICK!!! That's why she's talking about how "cute" her boat is. Centering on looks ... it's what chicks do. ]
OK..I really dont get this. Girls, please explain. I'm 47, and I was under the impression that this whole post by Jace should be offensive to women. What have I missed in this life...Can we use the term "Chick" again? Do "Chicks" center on looks? Why haven't you already kicked Jace in the jewels? What the hell have I missed? Sincerely, Christian Van Horn

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Old 07-10-2009, 18:53   #527

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Van H View Post
OK..I really dont get this. Girls, please explain. I'm 47, and I was under the impression that this whole post by Jace should be offensive to women. What have I missed in this life...Can we use the term "Chick" again? Do "Chicks" center on looks? Why haven't you already kicked Jace in the jewels? What the hell have I missed? Sincerely, Christian Van Horn
I took it as tongue-in-cheek. If Jace was actually serious, then hell yes that was offensive and sexist.
Old 07-10-2009, 19:04   #528

Jessica's mum is claiming that the only reason Jessica is getting hammered by the media for her inexperience is because of "sexism".

Cite: Watson's mum blasts 'sexist' criticism

Compare her to Zac Sunderland. You didn't see Zac painting his boat up like a teenybopper decorating his skateboard. Or saying how "phat" and "sweet" his boat was, etc etc. He simply got down to business and did his trip.

Jessica is acting like an airheaded teen. Painting her boat like a pink Barbie-doll toy, babbling about how cute her boat is, oblivious to the fact that she was at fault for running right into the side of another boat, giggling about the handsome boy on her boat, etc etc.

She's being treated like an airheaded teenybopper because she's acting like one.
Old 07-10-2009, 20:07   #529

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Van H View Post
If I kicked the "jewels" of every guy that made a sexist remark I'd need a knee replacement Lord, do you know how many time a man has looked at me then behind me asking "where is the Captain?" Got to be tough if your gonna play with the big boys (was that sexist?).

Erika

PS
Whats that about bowlegged women?
Old 07-10-2009, 22:15   #530

Boat: Oceanic 46 (Jack Savage)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bark View Post
Jessica's mum is claiming that the only reason Jessica is getting hammered by the media for her inexperience is because of "sexism".

Cite: Watson's mum blasts 'sexist' criticism

Compare her to Zac Sunderland. You didn't see Zac painting his boat up like a teenybopper decorating his skateboard. Or saying how "phat" and "sweet" his boat was, etc etc. He simply got down to business and did his trip.

Jessica is acting like an airheaded teen. Painting her boat like a pink Barbie-doll toy, babbling about how cute her boat is, oblivious to the fact that she was at fault for running right into the side of another boat, giggling about the handsome boy on her boat, etc etc.

She's being treated like an airheaded teenybopper because she's acting like one.
Once again Barking up the wrong tree.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:06   #531

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
PS
Whats that about bowlegged women?
Hi Erika! (says with jewels protected) You're a movie fan, so you should have gotten this one. During the famous drinking down below scene in Jaws, Quint offers up a toast: "Here's to swimmin' with bow-legged women". What a great character Quint was. Earlier he spouts "Here lies the body of Mary McGinnity, for 15 years she kept her virginity, not a bad record for this here vicinity!" God I love that movie. Still on my top five list.

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Old 08-10-2009, 06:33   #532

Off topic--
I did get it, it was part of my subtle hint about guys and how they look at us girls, too subtle? Love the movie too, Yesterday in the operating room I was singing "Show me the way to go home, I'm tired and I wanna go to bed". The surgeon asked me what the heck I was singing...guess he didn't see the movie.

Don't mind being called a chick, chicks are kinda cute, I'm kinda cute, so I see the connection. A 16 y/o girl does focus on looks, so I saw the connect there too. No harm no foul, for me at least. Lets hope a horde of angry pitch forked feminists arent beating poor Jace right now.

So don't worry your jewels are safe with me uh er I mean....never mind

Erika
Old 08-10-2009, 10:17   #533

So has anyone actually asked this girl and her family about why they chose to paint the boat in such a way that it advertises the fact that there is a teen girl alone on it?
Old 08-10-2009, 15:08   #534
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
So has anyone actually asked this girl and her family about why they chose to paint the boat in such a way that it advertises the fact that there is a teen girl alone on it?
It's just a guess, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Jessica's prime sponsor, Ella Baché skin care, played a major role in selecting the color.Pink seems to be one of the primary colors they like to use.

TaoJones
Old 08-10-2009, 15:46   #535

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
It's just a guess, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Jessica's prime sponsor, Ella Baché skin care, played a major role in selecting the color.Pink seems to be one of the primary colors they like to use.

TaoJones
Actually, the boat was already painted pink BEFORE they got this sponsor...I just gotta wonder who thought this was a good idea.
Old 08-10-2009, 16:10   #536

I am sure someone offered to paint her boat for free and asked her what color.. Well any self respecting 16 year old girl would pick pink. If I could get away with pink canvas I'd have it but I plan on cruising my boat so don't want to "present a target" if ya know what I mean. I don't expect a guy to understand the "pink" thing, I'd let it go, you just won't understand.

Does anyone know when she is leaving? There seems to be little info on her safety gear, preparation, and dates...maybe I should ask the "go Jessica" folks.

Pray for her, she needs it.

Erika
Old 08-10-2009, 16:24   #537
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
Jessica's prime sponsor, Ella Baché skin care, played a major role in selecting the color.

TaoJones
Bingo!

Ella Baché

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
Old 08-10-2009, 16:46   #538

Quote:
any self respecting 16 year old girl would pick pink.
Dunno about that. As the father of teenagers, I have met many teen girls who HATE the color pink. My daughter included. I just asked her a few minutes ago about why she hates pink, she says its babyish and makes it look like she still plays with barbiedolls.

Quote:
If I could get away with pink canvas I'd have it but I plan on cruising my boat so don't want to "present a target" if ya know what I mean.
Ya, I DO know what you mean, you're doing the smart thing, desite of the fact that you would love to have this. Thats what maturity means.

The color scheme makes her much more of a target for harassment, piracy, rape, abduction, etc than if the boat was non-descript. Doesn't she and her parents realize this?
Old 08-10-2009, 20:55   #539

Boat: Any time now!
Considering the circumstances of the accident, I wouldn't count on her or her parents realizing much. (Mostly her)
Old 08-10-2009, 20:58   #540
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Quote:

The color scheme makes her much more of a target for harassment, piracy, rape, abduction, etc than if the boat was non-descript. Doesn't she and her parents realize this?
I don't think the seas she will be sailing in will have to many offenders lurking nearby. This is a solo non stop RTW attempt. Almost by definition she won't be closing with too many shores and the ones she are mostly free of bad guys (and some free of anyone). Nevertheless, she will have plenty of other dangers to concern herself with given the large exposure she will have to the Southern Ocean and it's five Southern Capes.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Closed Thread

Tags
jessica watson