Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2009, 02:58   #391

Boat: 42 Passage CC
Send a message via Skype™ to Artful Dodger
Blu, might you be able to provide a link to your report, interested in such reports.
Old 29-09-2009, 03:08   #392
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artful Dodger View Post
Blu, might you be able to provide a link to your report, interested in such reports.

Quote:
Jessica's yacht, Ella's Pink Lady, left Gold Coast City Marina at Coomera this afternoon with a throng of media including helicopter in hot pursuit.

She headed out the Seaway about 3.30pm and several people were spotted on board with her.
Close watch as Jessica Watson sets sail Local Gold Coast News | goldcoast.com.au | Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 29-09-2009, 06:59   #393
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

When Jessica first departs Sydney on her attempt, she will head north, bound for the equator in the vicinity of Kiritimati (Christmas Island). The really hard part is planned for much later.

From Jessica's website, the Route + Rules page, comes the following:
Quote:
Once past Fiji and Samoa my course is northeast to the Line Islands. The Equator lays just South of Christmas Island, which is the capital of Kiribati. I will round one of the islands in the Line Group that is north of the equator.
The capital of the Republic of Kiribati (pronounced Keer ree bahs) is actually Tarawa. That portion of the islands comprising the entirety of the Republic of Kiribati which lie at the eastern extreme of the country is the former Line Islands, a group of eleven islands. Eight of the eleven belong to Kiribati, and the remaining three islands are United States Territories.

Jessica's purpose in first going to the equatorial region is to satisfy one of the rules for a circumnavigation: Cross the equator at least once. Her plan is to then head south again, bound for the coast of Chile en route to her rounding of Cape Horn.

Of course, it's always possible that she will head back south to Queensland instead, and skip all that nasty Southern Ocean business.

Just sayin'.

TaoJones
Old 29-09-2009, 07:58   #394

Boat: Jason 35
Hey, I think she's a lovely girl, very pretty, courageous, and I commend her for 'getting back up on the horse.' She's 16 yrs old. That's old enough. She's and adult. Many women are raising their own children at that age. What more important of a job is there than that!?

You want a cut off age, okay, 16. That sounds about right to me. May be a little too high, but hey, better to err on the side of caution.

Go Jessica!

www.joekeck.com
Old 29-09-2009, 08:16   #395

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
I think that Jessica is better able to succeed since she has better equipment and support than this fellow who walked across the Atlantic Ocean unassisted:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	428.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	10205  
Old 29-09-2009, 08:22   #396

Just finished reading the incomplete leaked report about Jessica Watson on Latitude 38 site and wonder how they could consider it good editorial reporting to report an incomplete report, there seems to be some parts missing namely the account of the large shipping vessel. My understanding there is always two sides to a story to report on. In reading so many accounts and remarks here about Jessica I can only come the to conclusion that there are alot of late bloomers here as I myself and so many others started our adult life at 16. Had jobs, and paying our own way, but not able to vote, but had to pay taxes the same as all others adults. I think that the saying goes that the proof is in the pudding, and I don't think Jessica is going to let us down, the ones who believe in her. So just wondering how well some will eat crow when its all said and done.
Old 29-09-2009, 08:37   #397
blu

Boat: Herroscoff H28 29ft Belo Vula
Artful Dodger, watched the parade on local news last night.
blu
Old 29-09-2009, 09:21   #398

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artful Dodger View Post
Just finished reading the incomplete leaked report about Jessica Watson on Latitude 38 site and wonder how they could consider it good editorial reporting to report an incomplete report, there seems to be some parts missing namely the account of the large shipping vessel. My understanding there is always two sides to a story to report on.
Dodge - the report came from Maritime Safety Queensland - whose role is to protect Queensland's waters and boaters. Jess is home-ported in Queensland, but the Silver Yang is not, was not coming from or going to Queensland, and the accident occurred outside of Queensland's waters. MSQ's report covers their jurisdiction.

I don't know if anyone else noticed, but in her account in the report it stated that she noted a vessel at 6 miles at 0200 hrs, went below and at 0210 hrs collided - to close 6 miles in 10 mins requires a closing speed of 36 kts; can anyone think of anything wrong with that?

Quote:
So just wondering how well some will eat crow when its all said and done.
I'm ready to eat crow - what do you get to eat if she kills herself?
Old 29-09-2009, 09:40   #399

I will eat crow with much sadness, but think that with the amount of support and press going on that this one is bound for a good ending, too many people there to help her, and besides she is at least going to attempt it which speaks highly of her, she will go far in life. She is an inspiration for so many who have had dreams and not done them and in and through her we might find some person rewards.
Old 29-09-2009, 10:05   #400

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
I feel like I am in the twilight zone. It is amazing that there are so many supporting this trip. sorry.
Old 29-09-2009, 10:06   #401

PS
In great attempts it is glorious even to fail-

I get it, hope the failure doesn't end in her injury or someone elses.
Old 29-09-2009, 11:44   #402

Boat: Adams 13 (43ft) Xyris
Responses to earlier posts

Now I’m Biting. Here are responses to a few previous posts. I was imprecise with some of my comments so here I’m putting the record straight and clarifying my thinking.

“The minium age”… it so depends on the kid but sixteen would have to be close to the limit. Again I reiterate that the record keepers are able to declare what constitutes sailing solo around the world they also have the power to add reasonable qualifications for any contenders in the interests of safety of the contenders. Our society is to blame for the desire for juveniles and their parents to try and contest these records. Don’t buy products from sponsors who endorse what you disagree with and the endorsements will disappear. I show my approval of endorsements by supporting those sponsors with my purchases but there are brands I simply would never buy.

“The captain”… I was not suggesting that he was solely responsible for the collision but was as responsible as Jessica and just as guilty of a mistake. I was not intending to imply that all ships crews are cowboys but I am saying I believe there are a number that are negligent in their professional conduct towards other sailors. These negligent individuals deserve to be held responsible wherever they are but they mostly go unchallenged. This is wrong and should be addressed. If the captain was innocent… what did he do to avoid the collision? I’m afraid it is likely he was just as aware of the impending collision as Jessica Watson.

“Sailing solo”… I personally despise having to make solo passages. I don’t enjoy the 20 minute naps and getting out of a warm bunk only to go topsides to have a quick check around, make a log entry and then climb back into the bunk again to repeat the cycle again twenty minutes later. Sometimes it cannot be avoided and that is the only time I do it. I do it for the destination and to enjoy that destination with my chosen companion (my wife). Until recently she was unable to make passages due to incapacitating sea sickness so I had no viable option. Sea sick novices were not a solution. I feel safer solo than with someone in need of nursing.

“The Strobe” A policy I like to adopt during solo night sails only…

I have an Aquavolt masthead light kit with very bright LED bulbs (powering both the anchor and tri) and a strobe fitted in addition. I run the strobe along with the normal TRI only if going below for more than a few minutes. In dark anchorages we (my wife and I) have noticed that it can be difficult to pick the difference between our anchor light (or white tri light) and some bright stars sometimes. The colour and appearance of the LEDs is similar to stars when at a distance of a couple of miles or further. I believe the strobe flashes draw extra attention and a check thru binoculars at a distance confirms the vessels proximity. I understand this is not normal marine etiquette and quite possibly not legal in some parts but after missing very dim masthead lights at distance I think this is a proactive way to draw attention. I can’t imagine a ships watch would not look more carefully before altering course if they were concerned by the strobes presence. Yes, I am still displaying port and starboard lights in aqddition to the strobe.

“Jessica” Nice young lady. She has a challenge ahead of her that personally I would not want to do. I try to adopt Mary Flamingo’s policy of 20/2. No wind over 20 knots or seas over 2 meters but sometime we all get caught out. Sailing on this journey in 2009 is not the same as my first ocean crossing in 1975. The mod cons are fabulous now and this world is becoming smaller each day. She does have the option of going north over the equator and heading home if she decides that she can’t or no longer wants to do it. By then she will have seen more than 20/2 and have an idea of what might be waiting for her over the horizon or the other side of the Horn. But just possibly she has the courage and determination to show up all those who attacked her from their arm chairs making their negative comments, remarks, criticism and showed their pettiness by discussing her teeth. None of us know how she will go but I for one wish her luck and smooth sailing.

Go Jessica!

Fabian
Old 29-09-2009, 12:55   #403

Boat: a sailing boat
Timing?

Given the weather patterns in W Pacific is it a viable plan to cross the equator there rather than in the Atlantic? I mean in the Atlantic the weather pattern in the S gives one a very fast and safe ride to somewhere just N of equator and then back South on the other side of the same high.

Is it just as easy to do the same in the Pacific?

Meaning - it is virtually October and being at Cape Horn at the best momo is probably a vital part of the plan. If she sets of by mid month and heads NE, will she make it to Horn before the weather turns less than perfect?

b.
Old 29-09-2009, 13:02   #404

Quote:
But just possibly she has the courage and determination to show up all those who attacked her from their arm chairs making their negative comments, remarks, criticism and showed their pettiness by discussing her teeth.

From your lips to Gods ears.
Old 29-09-2009, 13:18   #405

Boat: a sailing boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
... Barnie they are excellent boats....

(...)

There is an American girl 15 years old who is start in the next month or so and she is doing it in an Open 40, ...
No doubt S&S 34 excellent boat, the question remains though - is it the best tool for this job?

Technically wise, sailing wise, I would go for a Class 40 (or thereabouts, unless too extreme for the skipper's skills) - and in any case for a boat designed and optimized for downwind sailing.

I do not say it cannot, or should not, be done in a S&S 34, but I think there are better choices today.

In my limited and specific case, I found the lighter, faster boats to be way easier to control in heavy downwind conditions than the heavier, slower boats designed in the 60's - both on auto / windvane and by hand.

b.
Closed Thread

Tags
jessica watson