Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2009, 19:56   #271
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandinmytea View Post
What's the technical name (or product) for the chart you show, that demonstrates the likelihood of Force 8 wind conditions in a given area?
They are called Pilot Charts and they are available for all oceans/areas
You can buy them for the boat and are an excellent invest,ment. Or download them for free.... Gord always has the link....

Maritime Safety Information

Then in left menu click: Publications

Then drop down menu: Atlas of Pilot Charts

Then the ocean you are looking at.

The amount of information will keep you absorbed for hours. I still prefer my paper versions

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 24-09-2009, 20:21   #272
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
I just tried to look at the North Pacific Pilot Chart and it says there are no files associated with the Pilot Chart map #. Checked a few of the other areas and they have the pilot charts. Wondering what gives as I have a full set of the paper charts at home so know they exist.
Old 24-09-2009, 20:23   #273

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&S View Post
Returning to our regularly scheduled broadcast.....
Did she get her rig fixed and is there a new scheduled departure date?
You are Kidding right?

That seemed like an attempt to get this thread back on track... all hope of that was lost about 258 posts back...
Old 24-09-2009, 21:26   #274
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
Interesting observations. On the flip side of the coin, I've found that newbie watchkeepers in the give-way ship have some bizarre need to close the stand-on vessel to about 2 miles, then make the required alteration (regardless of when they've assessed the situation). If your confident WK above stood his ground, I'm sure the opposing ship would have taken action at 2 miles.
I understand what you are saying and depending on closing speed, 2nm may be sufficient, but even at 20knts closing, that only allows about 6 minutes for intentions to be made clear, before collision.

Simulator training on large ships will teach you to make your intentions known early enough around the 4 to 3 ranges if you are the give way vessel, so as to open up the CPA to a safe distance by making a readily apparent course change, then return to your original course when the safe CPA is achieved.

You are then in sight of each other and can monitor CPA if the stand on vessel has other ideas.

Conversely, if you are the stand on vessel and at about 3nm nothing is happening, you can show your Red light for a couple of minutes, before returning to original to clarify your intentions on which side you wish to pass.

In the simulator, if you wait till 2nm, the examiner often throws in a

• Mechanical failure,
  • Kamikaze target
  • Or ghost fishing/sail boat
  • Or all of the above
to make your next few minutes an “interesting” lesson.

One of the biggest dangers is pure boredom by the other ship or even your own WK. If the other vessel appears interesting, they will often want to get close for a look, so making your intentions quite clear before that happens inside 2nm is a wise habit in open seas

I am only talking about “open sea” scenarios as was the case for Jessica.

In that kind of situation if I step on the bridge and we are inside 3nm with a 0 CPA, a few quiet words are firmly spoken.
Old 24-09-2009, 21:34   #275
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
you can show your Red light for a couple of minutes, before returning to original to clarify your intentions on which side you wish to pass.

Good point to remember when its sail v's ship is that sail can show a Green light and think they are showing right of way. Where the ship thinks the Green light means the ship have the right of way.
At night its hard to differentiate between a sailing vessel (which are extremely rare!) or a fishing boat with a bad steaming light!

Old 24-09-2009, 21:41   #276

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Mark, Have you seen many vessels up there yet that have a flashing yellow on top like these

Very bright, could see them for miles, but had no idea where the hell they were going.

In QLD at night, the trawlers are lit up like daytime with tennis court style lights, no idea where they were going or where the nets where.

Common sense said stay the hell away, just like you should with big ships.
Old 24-09-2009, 21:56   #277
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
Mark, Have you seen many vessels up there yet that have a flashing yellow on top like these

Very bright, could see them for miles, but had no idea where the hell they were going.

In QLD at night, the trawlers are lit up like daytime with tennis court style lights, no idea where they were going or where the nets where.

I vaguely remember in the annex part of the lights that “flashing amber” had something to do with a Hovercraft operating in the non displacement mode, but cannot remember if that was a purely UK rule.

In any case the warning to keep clear is apparent but would be more than useless if everyone used them
Old 24-09-2009, 22:14   #278
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post

Yep. the orange flashing ones are weird, sometimes they have red. The strobe white lights are weird too because they are such low power that the boat is much closer than you think.
The first time we saw one Nic was on watch and she woke me up so there I was on deck patiently explaining to her that bright lights are a loooooong way away. She said "Then why can I hear his engine?" I screamed quietly "HARD TO STARBOARD!!!!!" as we missed the pucker by a few inches.

A few weeks later Nic wakes me and I am gently explaining to her that of course theres a white light above the red light! Then she says: "we are in Indonesia, since when have they had correct nav lights?" I pick up the binoculars and say: "Its definitly a small motor vessel thats just passed a small island". The vessel is off the port bow and the island is off the starboard bow. She says "Does that Island look like it has a faint christmas tree lit up?" No, they are Muslim.... "Then why is the island getting bigger?" I screamed quietly "HARD TO STARBORD!!!!" as we missed the huge unlit barge being towed by the tug. The tug had White Above Red but no red nav light LOL The barge had... well... maybe a TV being watched.

Quote:
Yes, after 45 experiments we feel that staying the hell away is better LOLOL I get more sleep that way!
I can't wait to get back to some place where Nav lights are on more than 10% of the boats

Old 24-09-2009, 23:05   #279

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
They are called Pilot Charts and they are available for all oceans/areas
You can buy them for the boat and are an excellent invest,ment. Or download them for free.... Gord always has the link....

Then in left menu click: Publications

Then drop down menu: Atlas of Pilot Charts

Then the ocean you are looking at.

The amount of information will keep you absorbed for hours. I still prefer my paper versions
Holy smokes. Yeah, there goes sleep for a few nights. I eat this stuff up.

Thanks!
Old 25-09-2009, 04:51   #280

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Quote:
I vaguely remember in the annex part of the lights that “flashing amber” had something to do with a Hovercraft operating in the non displacement mode, but cannot remember if that was a purely UK rule.

In any case the warning to keep clear is apparent but would be more than useless if everyone used them
International rule 23(b). The US Inland rules and Canadian modifications also specify a special flashing yellow light for vessels pushed ahead.
Old 25-09-2009, 04:56   #281
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
International rule 23(b). .
I have tried to remind these damn foreigners of the correct Rules to go by. Somehow I don't believe they give a toss.

For all the faults of our own countries we keep bleating on about, we of the civilized nations are very law abiding ...

Old 25-09-2009, 05:37   #282
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
I just tried to look at the North Pacific Pilot Chart and it says there are no files associated with the Pilot Chart map #. Checked a few of the other areas and they have the pilot charts. Wondering what gives as I have a full set of the paper charts at home so know they exist.
The Pilot Charts for the South Atlantic Ocean (105) and the North Pacific Ocean (108) exist on paper, but have not yet been digitally converted, so aren’t available for download on-line.

Atlas of Pilot Charts

Old 25-09-2009, 05:48   #283

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Quote:
I understand what you are saying and depending on closing speed, 2nm may be sufficient, but even at 20knts closing, that only allows about 6 minutes for intentions to be made clear, before collision.

Simulator training on large ships will teach you to make your intentions known early enough around the 4 to 3 ranges if you are the give way vessel, so as to open up the CPA to a safe distance by making a readily apparent course change, then return to your original course when the safe CPA is achieved.

In that kind of situation if I step on the bridge and we are inside 3nm with a 0 CPA, a few quiet words are firmly spoken.
Having instructed and assessed many students in simulators, as well in reality - I stand by my observation that inexperienced WKs tend to stand on to the last possible moment. I don't know if this is a navyism as we generally have fairly junior people instructing the newbies; but I tend to believe it's a problem on the civ side too based on my encounters at sea as the stand-on. If anything I think simulators give a false appreciation of just how close you are, due to the lack of depth perception, but agree that the operators can make things interesting. Experience teaches you that altering early is ultimately more efficient. You don't need to wait until you're at 3-4 miles either; if you have a solid assessment of the situation there's no reason not to make your alteration at 6 miles or further (in open ocean).

Quote:
Conversely, if you are the stand on vessel and at about 3nm nothing is happening, you can show your Red light for a couple of minutes, before returning to original to clarify your intentions on which side you wish to pass.
Are you saying turn on sidelights, or are you indicating you should alter course temporarily? I prefer the 34(d) signal, but wait until within hearing range. At 3 miles I might try VHF.
Old 25-09-2009, 12:11   #284

Boat: Boatless
Good one!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Jim, they only go around Cape Horn and Cape of Good Hope once. Whats the problem?

Now, I hand to you in evidence the January Pilot of Australia to Cape Horn - is January the best month? I think thats when she is expected there - Look at the percentage days of Gales above Force 8. Hardly ever a day of blow... 18%, 19% chance only. And in some places between Australia just 15% chance of a Force 8. Nearly negligible! Theres even a 10% square! Lower!
And the passage would only be 2 months (perhaps 3 months)... say its 2 months @ 15% Gales = 9 days.

So she will only be expected to get 9 days of gales 34+ Knots on this leg. Thats nothing! Any 16 year old should be able to handle that!

Look at her experience: In the Brisbane area a place of 0% gales or 1% gales. So in all her years of sailing she will have had 0% or 1% of her days in Force 8 gales. Shes a regular Gale girl!

If she gets into trouble she can ring home: 1/2 way is only 3,000 NMs a bit more than the distance between New York and LA. Then Mumma can help and Dada can complain to the media and Ella Bache can move their sponsorship onto the 15 year old American girl...

"Sea Life" is in a Zero % Gale area I'm glad I don't have to prove nuffin

Mark
Old 25-09-2009, 13:33   #285

The South Pacific pilot charts are available electronically having just got them today.
The wind rose on the next page gives the average wind force and direction. Namely 63% of force 6 from NW -W and balance of average F4. Even if the percentage of gales is only 19% given the extremely long fetch and predominant winds very high seas are likely. It still remains likely to be daunting with the combination of wind and sea state.
Closed Thread

Tags
jessica watson