Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2014, 21:38   #31

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC
Re: Yacht sinks outside Golden Gate

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
10 hours from Alameda to the gate doesnt make any sense. Even in bad conditions , it is only a few hours sail. I wonder if he pulled away from the dock, and went out and anchored someplace to get away from the Yacht Club crowd, friends trying to get you drunk, or just the stress of leaving. On several deliveries, I waved goodby to the dock crowd, and went a few miles to a quiet cove and anchored for the night, so that I could get my mind settled for a passage, or to get my crew acclimated to the boat, without the distractions of the dock crowd. Leaving after a good nights sleep is always better than leaving tired, late in the day because of delays, or too much partying. I doubt we will ever know, but there is no logical reason (that I can see) for 10 hours. ______Grant.

Grant, I agree with your view of the timeline. I'm next door at Fortman and with an ebb, it started at 1605 local time Sunday, it's less that 2 hours to the gate in my boat, probably a little longer for him. Maybe he went out the gate, had a problem with his engine, got pushed back into the bay, flood started at 2054 local time, and just waited too long to call for assistance? Strange, but after the disappearance of Dr. Jim Grey and his boat, Tenacious, seven years ago, nothing that happens like this in the waters surrounding S.F. surprises me.
Red Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 23:46   #32

Boat: Freedom 38

I was wondering if he didn't drop a hook in Horseshoe Cove, which is right inside the bay next to the GG Bridge. There's a mooring ball there that you can anchor during daylight hours only, but a friend told me he used to anchor there at night to get an early leave to go fishing offshore. The skipper could have gotten there by 2100 or 2200 if he sailed all the way from Alameda. Then if something happened as he was pulling up the anchor a few hours later, that could explain why the boat was pushed outside with the tide before floundering on the rocks. Max ebb was at 0200 and the EPRIB signal was received at 0415. This could also explain why he might not have been tethered in yet. Though we will probably never know for sure.....RIP.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 00:55   #33
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Did they say how close the body was found to the boat?
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 02:09   #34

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Pelagic,

The boat was sunk near Yellow bluffs, on the Marin Headland; the body found at Angel Is., what you would expect on a flood tide, if things were straightforward. I feel really puzzled by this whole incident. We may not ever find out what happened to Mr. Ewing, because the Marin coroner has no obligation to tell Cf. The ways waters flow in SF Bay and beyond are extremely complicated. There's a Bay model you can view in Sausalito, and I found it amazing when I went.

Ann
Old 05-06-2014, 08:38   #35

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

My wife was saying that they suspect he was hit by a freighter? I have not heard this...
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:44   #36

Yacht sinks outside Golden Gate

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
My wife was saying that they suspect he was hit by a freighter? I have not heard this...

I'm local and haven't heard that either. This picture on the Latitude 38 site shows the boat on the rocks at Yellow Bluff, mast and main up, no damage to the area of the hull that can be seen. I would have thought the mast would be down if he had encountered a freighter.

http://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/...wingAlmaLL.jpg
Old 05-06-2014, 10:06   #37
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Yacht sinks outside Golden Gate

Looks like his jib is in the water at the bow.. quite likely he was setting it up and went over.. tripped.. whatever..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 10:06   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
I was wondering if he didn't drop a hook in Horseshoe Cove, which is right inside the bay next to the GG Bridge. There's a mooring ball there that you can anchor during daylight hours only, but a friend told me he used to anchor there at night to get an early leave to go fishing offshore.
That buoy was never for tying up to. It has not been there for at least six months or more. The bottom inshore from the main jetty is horrible for anchoring.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 10:38   #39

Yacht sinks outside Golden Gate

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Looks like his jib is in the water at the bow.. quite likely he was setting it up and went over.. tripped.. whatever..

Certainly possible, except that he set off his EPIRB and a personal tracking device. I haven't heard if the EPIRB was found aboard or not. If it was manually activated and still on the boat, it would mean that he probably didn't go over the side. If it was activated by immersion, then again, he probably didn't go over the side, unless he was holding it at the time. If it was just the personal tracking device that had been activated, then I'd agree that in all likelihood he went over. The puzzling thing is it's just over 11 miles from the marina that he left from sometime after 6:00 pm on Sunday evening and the distress devices were activated around 4:20 am on Monday morning, 10 hours later. He had an ebb tide until 8:54 pm. It's possible that he missed the tide and decided to anchor and wait for the next ebb, which began at 2:28 am. Once you reach the GG Bridge, there's still 3+ miles before you get any type of relief from the current. A boat with a small engine and no wind can do a lot of sailing in reverse here when opposing the tides.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:41   #40

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
That buoy was never for tying up to. It has not been there for at least six months or more. The bottom inshore from the main jetty is horrible for anchoring.
It's possible we're not talking about the same buoy or maybe things have changed because my friend said he tied up to this buoy a while ago, not recently. I should have made clearer that I don't have first-hand knowledge of that cove and what can be tied up in there or not. This was just an idea that I thought made some sense in what is a pretty senseless situation
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 13:19   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Sky View Post
Certainly possible, except that he set off his EPIRB and a personal tracking device. I haven't heard if the EPIRB was found aboard or not. If it was manually activated and still on the boat, it would mean that he probably didn't go over the side. If it was activated by immersion, then again, he probably didn't go over the side, unless he was holding it at the time. If it was just the personal tracking device that had been activated, then I'd agree that in all likelihood he went over. The puzzling thing is it's just over 11 miles from the marina that he left from sometime after 6:00 pm on Sunday evening and the distress devices were activated around 4:20 am on Monday morning, 10 hours later. He had an ebb tide until 8:54 pm. It's possible that he missed the tide and decided to anchor and wait for the next ebb, which began at 2:28 am. Once you reach the GG Bridge, there's still 3+ miles before you get any type of relief from the current. A boat with a small engine and no wind can do a lot of sailing in reverse here when opposing the tides.
Sounds like he missed the tide. In a small boat underpowered vessel that is a problem. I bet he foundered with the narrows and tide then something happened like engine failure or went overboard while trying to anchor?

If the jib is in the water he may have dropped the jib then was gonna throw the anchor and instead hit bottom and fell in the water at some point?
Lojanica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 13:47   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
It's possible we're not talking about the same buoy or maybe things have changed because my friend said he tied up to this buoy a while ago, not recently. I should have made clearer that I don't have first-hand knowledge of that cove and what can be tied up in there or not. This was just an idea that I thought made some sense in what is a pretty senseless situation
Understood about not local personal knowledge. FYI, you friend should not have done that. There was never a ring on the top of that buoy, so I have no idea how he did that! It's a small cove and everything that's there can be seen on the charts.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 13:55   #43
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

pretty amazing he ended up on angel quite frankly.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 16:55   #44
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lojanica View Post
Sounds like he missed the tide. In a small boat underpowered vessel that is a problem. I bet he foundered with the narrows and tide then something happened like engine failure or went overboard while trying to anchor?

If the jib is in the water he may have dropped the jib then was gonna throw the anchor and instead hit bottom and fell in the water at some point?
This scenario seems to make most sense that the boat foundered on rocks. Depending on EPIRB location...he may have set it off then tried to save and fend small boat off of rocks by jumping into shallows.
Unfortunately he lost the battle and his life or maybe he tried to just swim for it.
Perhaps a medical examination will speak about abrasions
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 17:27   #45

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

We'll never know what happened. Nevertheless, conjecture is good if we learn a lesson.

Our futures are unknown.

Tags
yacht