Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2011, 04:59   #61
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Yacht Sinks Off Western Australia Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Yep - too cynical, apart from have little faith in your fellow man, the more fundamental reason to not go with the insurance job is that ferros are almost impossible to insure.
It happens over here, or at least a very strong smell of it...........faith in my fellow man? yeah, I have complete faith in 'em .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2011, 13:32   #62

Regarding previous criticisms - Most of us are attached to our boats and could no more "kill" them than we could kill our child! Secondly, I guess using your philosophy the Titanic was an insurance claim. Thirdly, regarding it breaking up - boats are designed to keep water out. Once they have water in them they are delicate creatures and can't just be arse dragged anywhere. As for "rich people's nest eggs" you should spend a day in our lives. For many of us our boats are our homes. Destroy them and we destroy the lifestyle we have chosen to live rather than living a "normal" life on land earning high wages.
nqcruisers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2011, 15:51   #63

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by nqcruisers View Post
Regarding previous criticisms - Most of us are attached to our boats and could no more "kill" them than we could kill our child! Secondly, I guess using your philosophy the Titanic was an insurance claim. Thirdly, regarding it breaking up - boats are designed to keep water out. Once they have water in them they are delicate creatures and can't just be arse dragged anywhere. As for "rich people's nest eggs" you should spend a day in our lives. For many of us our boats are our homes. Destroy them and we destroy the lifestyle we have chosen to live rather than living a "normal" life on land earning high wages.
Leaving my boat on Broughton Island with holes in the hull, was not a very good experience for me, A very sad day,

I didnt sail it 3000 Nm to wreck it, Its worth more as a sailing vessel than an insurance write off,

I hear what your saying, Not all of us are rich and can afford expensive toys,

Mine was going to be my home totally for the next few years,

The Titanic sank because they cheated on the building of it,
They ran out of money and removed a lot of steel out of it,
10,000 pounds worth of steel they saved, But it will sink now,

The Eastern Star, the Titanics sister ship had a hole 3 times the size of the Titanics,
And it didnt sink because they didnt cheat on that one,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2011, 16:06   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandHopper View Post
Lol! do you know what a Rig Tenders Grapnel looks like ?

vvvvv

The one above is only a medium size one and weighs just over 3t, the one on my brothers boat is slightly bigger. You have seen what wrecking balls do to buildings ? after 48 hours of getting bashed around with that, i am more surprised that it wasn't just turned in to dust....
Lol. Fair enough. I guess they weren't being all too careful with it either.

Anyway, seems the fella is relaxed and taking it all in his stride - at least according to an early report...

SAILING at night off Western Australia's Pilbara coast, yachtsman Don Drabble heard a bang and rushed below to find his rudder gone and water gushing in.

The 59-year-old was heading to the Montebello Islands when his 13-metre boat Scarlett hit an object and lost steering about 85km northwest of Dampier on Tuesday night.

When he realised his pumps couldn't keep up with the incoming water, he activated his emergency distress beacon, grabbed a few belongings and jumped in his dinghy to watch his yacht sink.

"I just had to sit through it," Mr Drabble told ABC radio after being picked up by water police.

"You don't really have much choice. You can't go into a state of panic. There's no good in tiring yourself out and freaking out about it."

Mr Drabble said he was lucky conditions were calm and he had his Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon.

The Scarlett was in about 50 metres of water when it hit what Mr Drabble believes was probably a floating container, not a whale.

Having watched his yacht sink, he motored in his dinghy towards land.

Friends of Mr Drabble also called the rescue coordination centre to say he had sent a text message that his yacht had sunk and he was in his dinghy.

Mr Drabble was philosophical about his loss: "It's part of the life you live if you live on a boat."

Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2011, 16:37   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Leaving my boat on Broughton Island with holes in the hull, was not a very good experience for me, A very sad day,

I didnt sail it 3000 Nm to wreck it, Its worth more as a sailing vessel than an insurance write off,

I hear what your saying, Not all of us are rich and can afford expensive toys,

Mine was going to be my home totally for the next few years,

The Titanic sank because they cheated on the building of it,
They ran out of money and removed a lot of steel out of it,
10,000 pounds worth of steel they saved, But it will sink now,

The Eastern Star, the Titanics sister ship had a hole 3 times the size of the Titanics,
And it didnt sink because they didnt cheat on that one,
Mr. B. My husband and I have been cruising for almost 30 years and are currently in our third yacht which we built ourselves so a lot of love as well as blood sweat and tears went into her. Cruising was our chosen lifestyle, back when we started insurance was unaffordable (at nearly $3,000 a year for full comp. it still is today) so we went for many years without even 3rd party. We just had to be very careful. We've covered many ocean miles, the last trip was over 10,000 nm and took two years - but we've been lucky. We haven't hit anything too dramatic in all that time. I feel for those who have. No-one does it deliberately. Criticism of people's actions or making suppositions about the causes (insce claims) is not what we should be about out here. I'm sure you will agree. Sadly, the old values (being considerate and helpful, doing the right thing by others, doing favours without expecation of favours returned) seem to have a bit thin on the ground these days - at least where I am. Maybe it's different elsewhere. I hope so. Cruising is still a good life and I hope that you get back to it before long and are once again enjoying this great lifestyle. Cheers.
nqcruisers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, yacht, australia