Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2009, 07:13   #1

Boat: gozzard 44
Yacht Chef Murdered in Puerto Rico

Yacht chef kidnapped and murdered in Puerto Rico
By IBI Magagazine

Yacht chef kidnapped and murdered in Puerto Rico
ronbo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 10:00   #2
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Un Fuc%ing beleavabule- whatthe Fuc@ is wrong with this race of people known as human beings - I never could understand why anyone does something like this
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 10:10   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
Crazy. We were in Fajardo last may. Are people getting desperate?

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 10:20   #4

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
Here is more info and a short video.

ABC News: Tourist Sara Kuszak Kidnapped, Throat Slashed
Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 10:48   #5

Boat: Boatless
A very tragic episode...

We lived in Puerto Del Rey for 5 months and security in the Marina is excellent but there are reasons why the guards carry guns.

However, this might be a one-off lunatic rather than part of the Puerto Rican drug/crime complex that results in 3 murders a day. One Saturday in April there were 17 murders!!!
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 11:00   #6
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Again, another truly sad story. Young, pregnant and as she was out for a run, I can't imagine that she was carrying much of value apart from the cell phone. Once again, we can blame the global recession, or drugs, or complacency by the police officials in various jursidictions; we can blame the attitude allegedly fostered by a certain president, when an act of violence occurs in Venezuela; we can boycott certain islands, or certain island chains, or specific countries or continents; we can even avoid entire seas or oceans, but it all comes down to this: we can run, but we cannot hide.

No matter where we go - hell, even if we don't leave the sanctity of our own homes, there will always be the risk of intrusion, attack and acts of senseless violence. Yes, the world can be a scarey place, and it is seemingly becoming scarier with each passing day. But we cannot allow our fears to rule our lives, or to determine all our destinations. We must consider passive approaches such as alarms, as well as active approaches such as sailing nearshore/venturing onshore in groups, rather than alone; some will consider arming themselves. We must always attempt to balance the gains against the risks of every landfall, or excursioin ashore. But in the end, no matter what precautions we may take, there will always be the risk of being burglarized, or robbed, or worse. We can attempt to live our lives in a jail of our own creation, or we can step out into the world and recognize that the freedom we seek can carry a very high price.

The murder of this young woman is both tragic and senseless. But it is no more tragic than the murder of any pregnant young woman, anywhere. The fact is that she had been blessed by being able to pursue, even if for only a moment, the joy of the life on the seas that she apparently coveted. And we cannot forget that she could have just as easily been murdered on the streets of her home town.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 11:14   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
we can run, but we cannot hide.
Hello Brad,

i agree with you b u t as someone who is spending valuable
holidays i can run somewherelse a n d i choose myself when
i am running and when not. I do not want to hide somewhere
and as long as there are areas on the world where this is
not neccesary i run to that places and hide there ( like Sweden,
Finland,Norway f.e.)

And yes, the distance between the poor and the rich will be bigger
in the future and i guess life will be harder then
lampe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 11:16   #8

Boat: 1974 Columbia 41
This article really sends shivers down my spine. That is one of the most horrific acts I have heard of. There is a special place in hell for that piece of crap, and I hope the Puerto Rican government sends him there with little hesitation.
stoupidmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 11:46   #9

Boat: Ericson 39B
Well said Southern Star, well said.
Sea Maid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 12:36   #10

Too bad she was not packing and prepared. Criminals who bring a knife to a gunfight typically end up in the ground rather than in jail or free. It would be very nice to read about this kind of criminal being shot dead in the attempted robbery.

We have seen murders against cruisers this season in Guatemala, Venezuela, Antigua, PR and I am sure other places I am forgetting at the moment. Debating the why about such things is pointless, dead is dead. I used to debate whether we would go cruising armed or not. Now there is no debate except relative to the type and number of guns to go aboard. YOU are responsible for your own safety. If there is any lesson to be learned in all this, its that being prepared is the key to not being a victim.

The world is simply not the place it used to be. There is nothing one can do about this but adapt and go on with living your life. Some can choose to stick their heads in the sand or rationalize it ( "but there are more murders in a big city...." they say, as if that means anything to someone going cruising) but the prudent choice is to step up and take responsibility for your own safety. That means taking many precautions... including being armed.

For what its worth.... I completely agree with Southern Star. My opinions relative to being prepared, being responsible for your own safety and being armed are just as applicable at home in the suburbs as out cruising.

Terry
Tspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 13:15   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
Please let's not turn this one into another gun thread. They never go well and they always get shut down.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 13:30   #12
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Latitude 38 - The West's Premier Sailing & Marine Magazine
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post252142

just do not walk or run alone and make sure , ladies, you donot look like you have money ....be safe out there.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 15:55   #13

Boat: 36' custom steel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tspringer View Post
Too bad she was not packing
Packing a gun in Mexico is a really good way to rot your life away in a third world prison.
Old 06-02-2009, 16:14   #14
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
the days of being able to take walks and run alone anywhere are essentially done---women in particular need to be especially cautious---this is do able without arming with weapons which are easily removable from females---sorry boys, guns donot answer anything--just make matters much much worse....do not go out alone --not even to the store on the corner--donot go to remote places-especially solo--do not look wealthy and do not allow your self to be followed by strangers.....good luck out there---
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 09:51   #15

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
I apologize to the group here. I posted a thread Tragedy in Puerto Rico which is the same as this thread. It was from Latitude 38. They have a picture of the young woman and her boyfriend. This was indeed a terrible tragedy. It seems more and more, I am hearing of this sort of thing. It leaves me questioning what the hell is happening to humanity?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Puerto Rico