Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2014, 18:49   #76

Boat: Various
Re: Who the Hell Turned Out the Anchor Lights in the USVI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjohn View Post
I'm sitting in Cruz bay at this very moment watching a pleasure craft anchored in the middle of the commercial lane but it does have a light on so it's all good with me. I give up. To each his own and just try to be safe out there!

The Lady Euphoria
Now that isn't wise either. Where we are right now not much problem regarding anchor lights at night as there is only about 2 1/2 hours of total darkness. only 4 1/2 hours sunset to sunrise. Plus very few recreational boaters so not much anchoring anywhere and no moorages. Of course we're at a marina. Dockage only $0.70 per foot.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 19:45   #77

Boat: 1984 34 Oday

Now that sounds like a cold cheap no sleep kind of port. I'm sure Jimmy Buffett never wrote about it and I only like to live Buffett songs.

The Lady Euphoria
justjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2014, 15:16   #78
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

If the Law and Common Sense contradict, which path should one take?
Many a times I anchored in Biscayne Bay outsidere the channels so as to get a good nights sleep if
No Name Harbor was too jammed with anchored boats.
Even if off the beaten path, some local sport fish charter boat would come at full speed from Miami at 05:00
And knowing the waters and the shallows, he would cut corners and get really close to us, despite 4 (four)'anchor
Lights displayed on my boat.
We learned there is narrow channels between the sand banks and would anchor in the the channels, with all the lights
On.
Some dingbat power boaters saw our lights, top of mast included, and would try to pass close by because if there is a sailboat
Anchored right there, it must be at least 6' feet of water right? right?
Because we were protected in the narrow channels, some of these high speed arseholes would run aground in 2' of water trying to get close to the anchored sailboat because there is plenty of water there.
Got a warm and fuzzy feeling every time it happened and we were safe as could be.
To find those hidden channels, take a 270 course (not heading) from the entrance to No Name and motor about 3/4 mile, then drop anchor in 8 to 10 feet, but do a 360 circle first to find the edges of the channel as you will swing with the strong current.
Even with that kind of protection, I still used anchor lights, which only lured power boats onto the shallows. Not my problem, they should learn to slow down and keep distance from anchored boats.
With LED lights on the market these days, there is no excuse for not displaying proper lights when anchored, none, just BS(

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Tags
anchor