Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2010, 08:24   #1
Marine Service Provider

Where to Anchor for the Annapolis Show ?

A friend of mine, told me there were 2 different spots to anchor in Annapolis for the show. He recommended the one that was further away, because somehow it winds up being a shorter dinghy ride? I'm also thinking it will be a little less crowded...although, I'm sure it's just crowded everywhere that weekend.

Anyway, it's been a while since he's been to Annapolis, so he couldn't remember the names. Anyone have any idea? Or just have any other suggestion on where to drop the hook for the show?
off-the-grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:59   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
We used to anchor way up Back creek. I hear there's mooring buoys there now but you can go way up to where your boat was built. Then dink to the dinghy dock and it's four blocks to the show. There's usually so many boats anchored there you can nearly walk ashore.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:08   #3

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34
My first choice would be a mooring, right in front of the show, but those are probably full. The moorings inside the Spa Creek bridge may have more availablilty, but are limited to 35'. Other choices are Weems Creek (walk over to the stadium and catch the shuttle), Spa Creek (not many open places), Back Creek (tie your dinghy to the landing at the end of the street SW of Mears Marina and walk over the Eastport bridge, and finally Lake Ogleton always has loads of room but is a long and sometimes rough dinghy ride.
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2010, 10:39   #4
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
We used to anchor way up Back creek. I hear there's mooring buoys there now but you can go way up to where your boat was built. Then dink to the dinghy dock and it's four blocks to the show. There's usually so many boats anchored there you can nearly walk ashore.
Or just tie up to the dock, and maybe they don't even notice I'm there?
Old 14-09-2010, 11:07   #5
Marine Service Provider

djmarchand - you do mean 6th St. Right? Hard to tell from the sat image if that's part of the same marina.

Wow! People really anchor back there? Looks pretty tight, with marinas, builders, and private docks everywhere. I don't see a single boat anchored in the photos. On the other hand, it is pretty shallow and looks protected, so I guess you don't need a ton of scope.
Old 14-09-2010, 14:39   #6

Grunzter:

Yes it is 6th street which becomes Compromise which is the bridge across Spa Creek.

You would be surprised how many boats anchor in Back Creek during boat show week. The creek will have a dozen or more boats anchored anywhere. You have to dodge them to make your way in or out.

Annapolis has some BS ordinance that you can't anchor within 50' or so of a dock. It was enforced when I was there last year anchored way up the creek across from Gemini's yard.

David
Old 15-09-2010, 09:25   #7
Marine Service Provider

Being that it's such a tight area, and with that ordinance, does anyone raft up back there during show week?

That 6th St. spot def look like the way to go. Finally figured out where the dinghy docks are. Much longer, and probably bumpier ride, and doesn't look like a much shorter walk than from Back Creek.
Old 15-09-2010, 10:06   #8

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
Annapolis has some BS ordinance that you can't anchor within 50' or so of a dock. It was enforced when I was there last year anchored way up the creek across from Gemini's yard.
With all due respect, you wouldn't think that ordinance is BS if you were trying to get out of a fairway from your own slip to go sailing. Annapolis is one of the most boater-friendly places around with free buses downtown, inexpensive moorings, a Harbormaster who watches over boats at anchor to make sure they are okay, and free dinghy docks at every street that ends on the water. A tiny bit of consideration for those of us who live here so we can get in and out of our slips would be appreciated.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2010, 10:28   #9

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
I'll have to agree about Annapolis being boater friendly. In fact the whole Chesapeake is very sailboat friendly, especially towards anchoring. The 50' rule is not unreasonable. Back Creek was always a zoo during boatshow time. I always worried about what would happen if you had a bit of a blow while all those boats were at anchor, some with one hook, some with two hooks, and some even anchored fore and aft! And then there's the hotshot (and some not so hotshot) racers who insist on sailing through the anchorage sometimes colliding with anchored boats during this exercise. I once got hit by a J24 who came straight at me during a puff and didn't have the sense to dump the main.
Old 15-09-2010, 10:51   #10

Quote:
The 50' rule is not unreasonable.
I haven't done it myself, but I know some locals who have tennis balls with 50' of line attached. If you see some one heaving balls at boats you'll know what is going on.

Quote:
Back Creek was always a zoo during boatshow time. I always worried about what would happen if you had a bit of a blow while all those boats were at anchor, some with one hook, some with two hooks, and some even anchored fore and aft!
They go all over the place. I keep my dinghy in the water during boat show to get around, but I've spent a lot of time hauling boats off the bows of my neighbors. The holding in Back Creek isn't bad but you have to have decent ground tackle.
Old 15-09-2010, 12:34   #11
Marine Service Provider

YIKES! On second thought...Lake Ogleton even with the long and potentially bumpy dink ride is looking pretty attractive now.

Or just pulling into a PCI slip, and announcing, "I'm HOME!"

Or...what's the swing like in Back Creek? Maybe I'll just beach her? Hopefully any hotshots will hit ground before they hit me.
Old 15-09-2010, 12:45   #12

All the shoreline I can think of on Back Creek is private property or park with natural shoreline projects. Beaching in either will surely result in DNR being all over you.

Swing in Back Creek (and the other creeks) is driven by wind, not tide.
Old 15-09-2010, 13:14   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
With the crowd for the boat show, I would recommend someplace like Clements
Creek. The Naval Academy storm moorings are available as well as anchoring space and a dinghy landing. The downside is the taxi ride, but it's a price that is worthwhile to secure a quiet space for the evening during the boat show.
Old 15-09-2010, 18:56   #14

Auspicious:

I am sorry, but I do think it is BS or at least the way it is enforced. I was anchored way in the back of the creek accross from Jabin's secondary slips and Gemini's yard. It was about 30' from my stern to a private dock. I had plenty of swinging room for 360 degrees and the dock owner who had no boat there, could easily have gotten out. The harbormaster made me move and so I anchored in a less secure place. I didn't appreciate it.

I agree that when boats anchor right in front of a marina then it can get dicey and the 50' rule is reasonable.

But all in all Annapolis is a very boater friendly town.

David
Old 16-09-2010, 07:02   #15
Marine Service Provider

Guess I should have mentioned this in my original post. WOW! I know it's a BIG show, but I had no idea it got that crowded. This will be my first time doing it from the water.

Anyway, due to circumstances, I probably won't be arriving until the 7th or 8th. How screwed am I? I guess I'm stuck in one of the much further away anchorages and paying for a cab everyday? Too bad, if it was just me, I'd just ride the bike to the show.

Tags
anchor, annapolis