Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2009, 10:12   #1

What Does 'Solo, Nonstop and Unassisted' Mean, Exactly?

Jessica Watson does not explain how she defines these terms in her upcoming circumnavigation attempt.

So...

Solo: this should mean that once she leaves her slip in Syndey that no other person will step foot about her boat for the entire voyage. Is this how she defines it?

Nonstop: This could mean any number of things. Does she mean she will never stop, at all? Never anchor anywhere? What if her watermaker fails or she runs out of diesel, does stopping for these count?

Unassisted: What does this mean? What if her boom snaps like Zac's did halfway around? Can she get a new boom brouight out to her? What if someone helping deliver the boom accidentally steps onto her boat for a moment? No longer solo then? What if she becomes very ill and needs medication dropped down to her? Is this assisted?

I'd like to see her and her team define these terms, lots of wiggle room there.
Bark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2009, 13:20   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Jessica doesn’t define Solo, Non-Stop, nor Unassisted - just the route ‘round.

HER
(self-imposed) Rules ➥
Jessica Watson - youngest ever to sail around the world

There is one internationally recognized official body of sailing records, the World Speed Sailing Record Council (WSSRC). It is the only organization recognized by the International Sailing Federation (the international governing body for the sport of sailing) in this regard.

WSSRC Round the World Non-Stop
Round the World Non-Stop

The WSSRC “Youngest non stop, singlehanded, circumnavigation” category has been discontinued:
Other Kinds of Sailing Records

WSSRC Ratified Passage Records

A commercial public relations stunt only has to be saleble, not rational.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2009, 17:55   #3
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bark View Post
Jessica Watson does not explain how she defines these terms in her upcoming circumnavigation attempt.

So...

Solo: this should mean that once she leaves her slip in Syndey that no other person will step foot about her boat for the entire voyage. Is this how she defines it?

Nonstop: This could mean any number of things. Does she mean she will never stop, at all? Never anchor anywhere? What if her watermaker fails or she runs out of diesel, does stopping for these count?

Unassisted: What does this mean? What if her boom snaps like Zac's did halfway around? Can she get a new boom brouight out to her? What if someone helping deliver the boom accidentally steps onto her boat for a moment? No longer solo then? What if she becomes very ill and needs medication dropped down to her? Is this assisted?

I'd like to see her and her team define these terms, lots of wiggle room there.
FWIW, IIRC when Kay Cottee in First lady became the first female solo unassisted nonstop RTW sailor, the definitions where:
Solo - as you described, self evident, no one else on board at any time.

Nonstop - not going ashore, one can anchor in say an bay but cannot step onto any land (or another vessel). In essence, not leave the boat.

Unassisted - zero physical outside help, no parts shipped out and thrown on board, no medical supplies air-dropped etc. Information and support can be received electronically.

In my mind (only), I consider sponsorship as assistance but most others don't.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2009, 20:07   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
FWIW, IIRC when Kay Cottee in First lady became the first female solo unassisted nonstop RTW sailor, the definitions where:
Solo - as you described, self evident, no one else on board at any time.

Nonstop - not going ashore, one can anchor in say an bay but cannot step onto any land (or another vessel). In essence, not leave the boat.

Unassisted - zero physical outside help, no parts shipped out and thrown on board, no medical supplies air-dropped etc. Information and support can be received electronically.

Okay, but have I missed something or has JW not ever defined what these terms mean for her voyage?

What is exactly IS the record she is trying to beat? Is it offiicial? With no defined terms and such a vague plan, is she really trying to beat an official record or is this just a huge publicity stunt to get her a modeling career or a job with those Ella-whatever people?

Again, for example, if she ties up to a dock and is brought water, food and fuel but does not leave the boat, is this considered (by her) to be "nonstop" and "unassisted"?

Seems to me that if this was a real record-breaking attempt, she would be defining these terms.

Oh BTW I politely asked these questions on her blog as a comment 3 days ago, but my post has apparently not been approved by "the moderator"...hmm
Bark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2009, 22:18   #5
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bark View Post

Seems to me that if this was a real record-breaking attempt, she would be defining these terms.

Oh BTW I politely asked these questions on her blog as a comment 3 days ago, but my post has apparently not been approved by "the moderator"...hmm
Maybe 16 yr olds don't define anything much

If you do hear anything from the her blog, please post here. I don't have the time / care to much to read her blog.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2009, 22:49   #6
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
You are too late to define anything. She has already acheived it. Her website is title: <title>Jessica Watson - youngest ever to sail around the world</title>

Not the attempt to be the youngest.

It runs under the same rules as any TV reality show. Distance traveled in terms of fame garnered.

So best to ask her producers.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2009, 22:58   #7
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Now I may well be wrong here, but didn't Chichester claim the first solo aropund the world because Joshua Slocomb was thought to have had to work at some ports (Melbourne), or transport and sell fat (Chile to Easter Island) so therefore was not an amateur?

Gotta go. electrical storm

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2009, 23:41   #8

Boat: Oceanic 46 (Jack Savage)
Solo non stop means, can only be attempted in a pink boat with a bag of Ella Bache' skin care products. Remember ONLY IN A PINK BOAT!!!!!

I feel a breakdown coming on!!!
surfingminniwinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2009, 03:44   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Not naming names here but if a solo sailor attempting a non-stop, unassisted passage around the world were to be below decks sleeping, or trying on make up, or playing with her Barbie dolls and was hit in the stern by a tanker, thrusting the boat forward on it's journey - Would that be an assist?
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2009, 04:18   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Its something that no one posting here has done.

Feel free to correct me.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2009, 04:27   #11

....wow....one step short of being bullys really.
making fun in the nastiest possible way for no reason but self Noise !.....look at me mum....I am on the internet bagging a 16 year old.....sigh...you should be ashamed.

The definitions of solo round the world unasisted are very well defined....including what "round the world" means....

Funny thing is so is Fanny.....it has two meanings.....
cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2009, 04:44   #12
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
i reckon she'll be going around the horns to claim she went around the world .. not thru any canals. good luck Jessica. unassisted means no outside help.
gonesail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2009, 05:22   #13
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
none of the recent attempts ie Zac sunderland or mike pelham are "records" in the proper sense of the word. They are fine undertakings , but not "records" I suspect Jessicas will not be either
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2009, 05:30   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper View Post
....wow....one step short of being bullys really.
making fun in the nastiest possible way for no reason but self Noise !.....look at me mum....I am on the internet bagging a 16 year old.....sigh...you should be ashamed.

The definitions of solo round the world unasisted are very well defined....including what "round the world" means....

Funny thing is so is Fanny.....it has two meanings.....
I am all for being nice. I wish the young sailor well.

She has made herself a public figure and has laid down a challenge for herself publicly. This opens her actions and words to public scrutiny.

So far her actions (and words) have not backed up her challenge. I hope I am wrong and that over the coming months she earns my respect but right now she hasn't.

It's ironic that as a group many of us claim that she is "adult" enough to do this and then we are bad guys for picking on a kid. How does that reconcile?
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2009, 05:55   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
playing with her Barbie dolls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
many of us claim that she is "adult" enough to do this and then we are bad guys for picking on a kid. How does that reconcile?
Ahem - see above
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote