Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread

Old 14-07-2010, 12:00   #31

Boat: 82 Present, 13 ft dinghy
As one of the (in the past) political sinners that comes on this board, though I think I have been doing better, I will add my 2 cents and stay as non-political as possible and I hope not to cross the line.

"Like any disaster, there is never one simple fault or reason to blame. Short cuts, mis managment, faulty equipment, greed, nature, circumstance all combine to result in trouble." Anjou

All true but one thing left out is the failure to mention Lack of Regulation and enforcement of same. This disaster is caused by politics the rest is living with the symptoms. This disaster is an example of absence of government. No reason to gloss over it.

Now as to how it affects sailing or steaming, or motoring it seems it would really play havoc with my heat exchanger if I drive into a slick, not to mention health concerns and the cleaning of the hull and other onboard systems that could be affected. This disaster affects us all.

Always remember the perfect example of an oxymoron is the sometimes used terms corporate-morality.

Old 14-07-2010, 12:02   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViribusUnitis View Post
I'm not even sure it's technicaly possible to shift totaly away from fossil based fuels, and sustain our current population.
Technically, it is. Socially, it is not.

We can probably make the same amt of energy from different sources (atom e?), but our civilization is not build around making things work. It is built around consumption. And the more we consume, the happier (?) we are. Or, at least, this is the attitude and the way of the vast majority. It is the majority that makes the difference, not the couple of them silly but innocent tree huggers.

We are a short sighted species that is already heading for its dismal fall. We will discuss endlessly about the what/if(s). The point is, it all remains a discussion and there is only some token action.

Is a mindset change possible? Leave the car behind and walk to the office? Turn off the aircon and open the windows? Consume less, so that we will pollute less?

On the other hand, the sooner we fall, the sooner the Earth will rebound and flourish again. Looks like anybody who cares should actually do their utmost to pollute, consume and destroy to bring the end of our species and the recovery of the Earth nearer.

Hmmm... who was it that said "... the way out of this crisis is to consume more ...".

b.

Old 14-07-2010, 12:08   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

It's going to be a pain in the ass to switch from oil and it will take a long time, no matter what you do. That being said, the pain-in-the-ass factor is a poor excuse for not getting started.
Old 14-07-2010, 12:13   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot9898 View Post
The report I heard said that the tar balls were coming from another source than the BP spill. Who knows? Actually I find that if that report is true then it seems more troubling than coming from the BP spill itself. About 25 years ago I walked along beaches in Stuart, Fl and remember the tar balls. At the time I assumed that it came from ships in the Atlantic, but now I think there is seapage from the ocean floor which has been going on for decades if not more.
I too have seen tar balls in many places that presumably have nothing to do with a major spill anywhere.

My understanding is that tar balls found in Texas on Bolivar Peninsular on July 3rd were originally thought not to be BP related. But, on Tuesday the USCG announced that tests on tar balls found on McFaddin Beach on July 5th (Galveston?) confirmed they were from BP. Source: Why none other than the always reliable Lakeland Ledger!

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
Old 14-07-2010, 12:36   #35

Boat: 82 Present, 13 ft dinghy
From 1971 to 1986 I spent much time on the beach on Bolivar. Tar balls are nothing new there. Charcoal lighter fluid works pretty good to get them off the bare feet.
Old 14-07-2010, 12:41   #36
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule View Post
From 1971 to 1986 I spent much time on the beach on Bolivar. Tar balls are nothing new there. Charcoal lighter fluid works pretty good to get them off the bare feet.
Uhm . . . shouldn't that be bare hooves, Mule?
Old 14-07-2010, 12:51   #37

Hmmmm. It occurs to me that the obvious solution (or at least direction for further research) is the use of tar balls as a renewable energy source!

Old 14-07-2010, 13:40   #38

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Technically, it is. Socially, it is not.

We can probably make the same amt of energy from different sources (atom e?), but our civilization is not build around making things work. It is built around consumption. And the more we consume, the happier (?) we are. Or, at least, this is the attitude and the way of the vast majority. It is the majority that makes the difference, not the couple of them silly but innocent tree huggers.

We are a short sighted species that is already heading for its dismal fall. We will discuss endlessly about the what/if(s). The point is, it all remains a discussion and there is only some token action.

Is a mindset change possible? Leave the car behind and walk to the office? Turn off the aircon and open the windows? Consume less, so that we will pollute less?

On the other hand, the sooner we fall, the sooner the Earth will rebound and flourish again. Looks like anybody who cares should actually do their utmost to pollute, consume and destroy to bring the end of our species and the recovery of the Earth nearer.

Hmmm... who was it that said "... the way out of this crisis is to consume more ...".

b.
Brilliantly put.
Societies do seem to have a remarkable talent for self destruction. No reason why this one should be any different. Must get Jared Diamonds latest book next time i see a bookshop.
What was the topic again?
Old 14-07-2010, 14:05   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
“... U.S. Coast Guard lab findings defy the longstanding belief that a regular ingredient of at least some of the tar balls that for years have turned up occasionally on state beaches is either crude spilled during offshore drilling or oil that seeped from natural vents under the Gulf.

Of the 192 batches of Florida tar-ball samples sent since mid-May to a Coast Guard laboratory in Connecticut, the vast majority have turned out to be lumps of heavy fuel oil, dark and syrupy as molasses and commonly used to power oceangoing ships ...”

Tests: No crude oil in tar balls found along Florida coast

Old 14-07-2010, 14:24   #40

A picture says it all: BP spill

There was talk that the effects of the spill are no longer visible. Yet, these pictures tell another tale:* Rarely Published Pictures Of The BP Disaster* : ICH - Information Clearing House
Old 14-07-2010, 14:34   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
the vast majority have turned out to be lumps of heavy fuel oil, dark and syrupy as molasses and commonly used to power oceangoing ships ...”
There ya go! It seems to me that but for the evil clean up effort, I could easily harvest tar balls from the beaches and get free fuel! The "dark and syrupy as molasses" part is kind of worrisome, but I could dilute it with canola oil which I could get by, um .... harvesting wild canolas!

Old 14-07-2010, 14:52   #42

Boat: SV Quiet Passage
And if my boat's bilge leaks oil I am subject to how large a fine? How large a fine is BO liable for?

Hey, I'm just askin'.
Old 14-07-2010, 15:03   #43

I understand that the presence of tar balls on Gulf beaches predates the petroleum age. There are many natural oil seeps in the Gulf. It is probably safe to say that some are natural and some are leaks from wells. I read in the Austin paper that some tar balls which washed up on the Bolivar Peninsula and Galveston East Beach (maybe 60 and 70 miles from the Lousiana border) had been tested and were determined to be from the BP spill.
Old 14-07-2010, 15:22   #44
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpons View Post
There was talk that the effects of the spill are no longer visible. Yet, these pictures tell another tale:* Rarely Published Pictures Of The BP Disaster* : ICH - Information Clearing House

heartbreaking

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
Old 14-07-2010, 15:50   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I cannot see any way out of it, unless we start using LESS energy and from safer sources. I try, but like 99.9% of the society just wants to have more, use more, without ANY concern for the environment.

Sailing is the way to go, motoring is not.

Very, very sad to see all those animals suffering because of what we think we are.

barnakiel
Thanks for this Barney and Anjou for an earlier post. The only reason I cruise is because of the life in the sea. Yes, wind and sun and salt are a wonderful tonic but it is the life in and around the sea that makes it worth while to me.

Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: