Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2011, 14:58   #106

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
Re: We're Out of Here!

Thanks for keeping us updated. I'm glad that everything big is OK.
We're trying to get our boat launched so we can get south this fall and it's difficult, very difficult to decide what is necessary to do before we go anywhere. I tend to want to rebuild and refinish everything first and my wife is similar. We might continue to rebuild and refinish for 30 years if we aren't careful. Your photos show me that we CAN leave without perfect varnish. Thanks you so much for the encouraging story. I'm sorry the crew had to leave but it will all work out one way or another.

BTW, 75 kt winds on a lee shore, bad.
Getting stuck in Ensenada, home of cheap tequila and the world's finest fish tacos, not bad at all.
sww914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 15:08   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by meburma View Post
Unfortunately they are arriving in San Diego well after hours of the conapesca office.

However, conapesca has a window at the port captain/harbor master office here in Ensenada and they shouldn't have a problem getting it here. Our experience in the port captain's office in Ensenada was very good. They were helpful, relatively friendly and helped us sort out the insurance issue when we arrived. No horror stories to report from here.
Try the online site for licenses... you print it out yourself, no line, no fuss, no markup..

Official Fishing Permits / Best Baja Fishing
h20man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 16:38   #108
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i think is perfect -- no sudar, mi amigo y crewman..is perfect!!!

conapesca is good-- i never have a wait or line and is easy. year long license is $49 and change.

i have sailed 75 kt winds-- was exciting.i know also that NOAA under-guestimates winds, and i anticipated 90+kts in the stead of 75.... btdt..... BUT that time i didnt have an aready torn sail, and i didnt have a seasick crew....and we had a realllly gooood sail thru lightning storms in gulf. here in pacific, which is not so pacific, with these wins comes 50+ ft seas. i am not gonna play in that stuff....not cool. we could fel the wildness of the seas even n the dock in ensenada.... is a waaayyy good thing my dead friends and relatives did the bell for me-- i was almost considering not coming into ensenada.....30 ft is ok-- but not 50 with windsprayed tops....i am a chicken****...LOL. gulf doesnt get as bad s pacific in big winds -- gulf has places into which to duck in big weather-- pacific does NOT, not after ensenDA-- we would NOT have made bahia tortugas before being slammed by this huge and wicked frontal system.

i SSOOOOO appreciate my warnings i receive--whether truly ghosties or guardian angels, or imagination, i donot know--i will attribute it to guardians and ghosties-- the bell thing was exactly what my late friend jimmy woulda done and fits his sense of humor. ---i also know what to look for in building seas and freshening winds....must be safe at sea.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 17:00   #109

Boat: PETERSON 44
Good to hear you did well. I hate to hear NOAA lies. They take the best data available and apply it. Your choice how you apply it.they put together one he'll of an advanced weather packet. Reading the synopsis is helpful as the wording is more in depth. So a forecast may say 20 knot winds. The synopsis will explain perhaps winds will be 20 knts and will lean that way given the gradient this is favorable. Have not ruled out winds exceeding 35. Your bulletin weather will say 20 knots but the background says not sure maybe more. Any way look at multiple weather sources. Sorta like the IRS call them and their pleasant weathering the storm may be a different deal but if you look close some one thought there was an issue before it became one. Then you get to move on success us all about how prepared you are. Best for you Sabray
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 17:30   #110

Boat: Morgan Classic 41

You never have to justify your choices; you're the captain, so whatever you decide, you're always right. All you have to do is sound decisive and firm when you give the order,lol, no one will doubt you ever.
The bell thing was awesome! Would have sent me straight in too. What a rush that must have been, I'll bet everyone was speechless!
mjwarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 20:22   #111

i think that bell thing was my friends newly deceased husband telling me to behave and mind my weather and calmness meant BAD STUFF COMING NOW!!! so with mizzen tear and mal de mer and bell falling and ..LOl.. prefrontal winds are only as much fun as they last, then the bad stuff happens. my cpt friend and neighbor --former neighbor now, lol, showed me the pediction before i left-- said 75 kt winds due with this front of coldness and isery-- so i expected to have fun-- an di saw it lasted and stretched beyond to turtle bay-- yipes-- we'da not made it safe -- so bell musta been jimmy -- is kinda his sense of humor....

i have noticed that when noaa states 35 kts, is really 50+, and when they say 75, is usually 90!!! at least on west coastal waters..is difficult to determine the wind speed when these fronts roll down west coast-- they grow in intensity until the tails whip daylights out of ye. had i not been familiar with wst coast problematic weather, i would have tried for turtle bay and gotten slammed and ripped more sail and had much much more problems that changing out crew. we did goooooood!!! we got to ensenada after the port was closed for high wind warnings. wow we were soooo good....i pray the rest of this trip is as fortunate as the first leg was....
Old 09-04-2011, 21:05   #112

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i think that bell thing was my friends newly deceased husband telling me to behave and mind my weather and calmness meant BAD STUFF COMING NOW!!! so with mizzen tear and mal de mer and bell falling and ..LOl.. prefrontal winds are only as much fun as they last, then the bad stuff happens. my cpt friend and neighbor --former neighbor now, lol, showed me the pediction before i left-- said 75 kt winds due with this front of coldness and isery-- so i expected to have fun-- an di saw it lasted and stretched beyond to turtle bay-- yipes-- we'da not made it safe -- so bell musta been jimmy -- is kinda his sense of humor....

i have noticed that when noaa states 35 kts, is really 50+, and when they say 75, is usually 90!!! at least on west coastal waters..is difficult to determine the wind speed when these fronts roll down west coast-- they grow in intensity until the tails whip daylights out of ye. had i not been familiar with wst coast problematic weather, i would have tried for turtle bay and gotten slammed and ripped more sail and had much much more problems that changing out crew. we did goooooood!!! we got to ensenada after the port was closed for high wind warnings. wow we were soooo good....i pray the rest of this trip is as fortunate as the first leg was....
Passage Weather folks seem pretty good. Looking at their forcast maps, Thursday looks good to me. There are some seas offshore, but diminishing by Friday. Winds start small exiting Ensenada and increase up to 15 or so. Inshore will have smaller seas, and the expectation for the next few days looks regular. Plus, that would give the new crew a day to settle and some chat and chew to happen. And even that launch with new crew is quite fast, n'est pas? I know you won't leave on a Friday.

Good luck with the big leg down. Just a few anchorages and almost no services, so make sure of enough water and fuel until turtle bay. Out of the way, but La Paz is a much more pleasant dodge in than Cabo, but you know that. Best of luck with the trip. Jon

Highs moving in.

There are some bigger seas offshore you might want to dodge closer in, depending on everyones' experience and condition. But they go away within a day, so they say.

PassageWeather - Sailing Weather - Marine Weather Forecasts for Sailors and Adventurers
Old 09-04-2011, 22:47   #113

Weather looks a whole lot more palatable than her first day out. We'll have all day Wednesday to prepare (getting there Tuesday night). It'll take me a couple of days to get my sea legs if it's really rolling (always does), but really doesn't look bad. Like I told Zeehag...I won't promise not to get seasick...but I will promise to get over it. Actually only been really sick once (looking for wood to knock), on a 24 powerboat DIW in 8 - 12 ft with winds at 25. We we surfing before the motor died. NOAA said they were 2 - 4 ft for the first 3 hours we were out there before updating. Wife was with me on that trip too but didn't even look pale. (Guess I ought come up with a name for her...can't be Admiral on Zeehag's boat)
Caribbean53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:18   #114

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter

BTW, note that the time on the passage weather site must be corrected for GMT, which is minus 8 hours or so for west coast I think. Carib 53, I'm sure you will have a great time. It is really a fine thing you and your sigot can crew for Zee. Good sailing to you. Jon
Old 10-04-2011, 10:50   #115
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribbean53 View Post
. (Guess I ought come up with a name for her...can't be Admiral on Zeehag's boat)
Galley Wench?.... Naaa, on second thought you ought not to use that one... carry-on!
Old 10-04-2011, 11:16   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post
Galley Wench?.... Naaa, on second thought you ought not to use that one... carry-on!
she can be admiral..i am commandant..LOL
onmy way out i made use of the prefrontals tomy advantage and was watching to see when front would catch us-- washoping to clear past turtle-- but the front was faster than my brick of a ketch, so we only made ensenada... but was good stopping here
needed that
really were omens to stay inside for a coupla days,an di paid attention.
boat sails niiiice for a brick!!!!
i willpay attention to weather andi know the storms should be gone bynow---- but i do respect them and i like prefrontal winds for sailing this boat-- worked great
next time out is gonna be fair weather-LOL--dont know how to handle that phenomenon...
Old 10-04-2011, 11:56   #117

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

Looks like all the nasty weather headed into the central part of the U.S. It is supposed to be a bad night for severe thunder storms and tornadoes from Canada to Texas. The front is supposed to be outside Pensacola tomorrow morning.

The boat looks awesome Zee and I don't care what everyone says, the pictures don't make the bird look any broader in the beam.

Here's hoping for fair winds and following seas.
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:01   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khagan1227 View Post
Looks like all the nasty weather headed into the central part of the U.S. It is supposed to be a bad night for severe thunder storms and tornadoes from Canada to Texas. The front is supposed to be outside Pensacola tomorrow morning.

The boat looks awesome Zee and I don't care what everyone says, the pictures don't make the bird look any broader in the beam.

Here's hoping for fair winds and following seas.
soyouhave my old used weather now-- be safe and dont freeze-- it took snow to phoenix!!!! we had hail here in ensenada-- was a trip--loud noises on coachhouse roof in night-- wow!!!! was sevre and is gonna stay severe-- so all in path be safe please....winds were awesome big--- we made into ensenada in time to be spared....
bird is proud of her beam!!! she sails decent for a brickand i LOVE her!!!!

speakasy-- i will be happy to finally meet ye in sept--- looking forward to that. be safe onypur trip with your friend and smoooth sailing. i love your new avvie..LOL...

Old 11-04-2011, 05:17   #119

Boat: Bruce Roberts 434
Send a message via Skype™ to capttman
Have a great cruise and be safe.

"When the bow be in the trees we'll be running out of seas"
capttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2011, 05:00   #120
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Laurent Giles Salar 40

zee: Did David leave the Spot locator? Are you going to keep it working? Looking forward to updates on your sailing adventures
chris07732 is offline   Reply With Quote