Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2011, 09:55   #46
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Re: We're Out of Here!

Ahh a much nicer interface indeed! Thanks for the bookmark
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 11:02   #47

Only about a thousand miles to go. Almost there!!

Bill Burgette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 12:36   #48
cruiser

News is in:

- Unplanned stopped (saltymonkey unexpected)
- seasickness (saltymonkey definitely expected YES! from crew)
- torn sail (saltymonkey semi-expected; but thought they were motoring by look of things?)

But SaltyMonkey is SOOO GLAD for Zeezee! She is on her way!!! YAyA! for zeezee!!
Old 07-04-2011, 14:50   #49

I think that makes me the winner of the Following Zeehag pool since I had them back in port in 30 hours and I think they were back in port in 16 hours and nobody else had them back in port. Do we start a new pool for when they leave Ensenada? Why do they need a couple of days to repair small tear in one sail? Winds look pretty good for them. Maybe they need to air the boat out from the smell of the upchuck? I personally will upchuck if I see or hear another upchucking. sort of contagious. Why nothing from Zee or David on here??? Nothing to be embarrassed by guys....stuff happens. As long as everyone is safe and you are in port it's a success so far. Let's hear from you guys(especially David on how his first real sail was. Fair winds(which it looks like you now for your passage to Mat).
ude123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 15:01   #50
cruiser

ude: "My guess is depart SD 4/13/11 0600, re-enter SD 4/13/11 1200, re-depart SD 4/23/12 0600.

I hope I'm wrong and don't win"

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post658863

Thats 6 hours not 30, and you said SD NOT Mexico and they would depart SD again. Get out of town

and check their blog for the info - a couple of days rest
Old 07-04-2011, 15:32   #51

Send a message via AIM to meburma Send a message via Yahoo to meburma Send a message via Skype™ to meburma

Ok guys. My first big sailing experience was a delight. I had a lot of fun with Zeehag and Wolfecon.

I have learned a great deal from them both.

My first International sail was fun. I got a bit queasy, but never upchucked. Can't say the same for Wolfecon. His sick got real bad. Is the biggest reason we headed into Ensenada.

Unfortunately, I have now been made aware of some business opportunities State Side that I just can't pass up and with some IRS issues from years ago haunting me I am in desperate need of the cash infusion. So I'm heading home. Wolfecon and I are helping Zeehag find some crew here. I will be loaning my SPOT to Zeehag for the rest of her voyage to Mazatlan so that everyone can continue to track her. (Sorry some of you have problems with the map loading. I had a heck of a time searching for anything that would allow me to integrate that map into my site. I'll add the URL of the FindMeSpot page on the site tonight for those who are having problems.)

The boat is running great. The engine took some time to work out it's kinks from being still for so long. But by the time we made it to Mazatlan she was purring like a kitten.

Honestly Solitary Bird was an incredibly enjoyable ship to sail on. She's a really great boat. As a newbie without a lot of experience on sailing ships I can say that I was very happy sailing on her. And after a nap I didn't have any more queasiness.

I did see in just the short journey we had: dolphins, grey whales, flying fish and some amazing coastlines and beautiful seas. Unfortunately I didn't get any pics of the whales or the dolphins as I was manning the helm and couldn't get a camera fast enough.

My sincerest thanks to Zeehag for giving me a great opportunity to get my sailing adventure started. I wish I could afford to continue with her, but this unexpected stop in Ensenada has brought some real life issues to my attention that I simply can't ignore.

I also learned a lot about how much I can do by myself on a boat. Trying to shoot anything for my documentary by myself while also trying to do my duties on the boat is problematic at best. I am going to have to figure out how to bring one more person with me in the future who can handle a cam. Hmmmm.
meburma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 15:39   #52

Boat: Haida 26

Zee, Will see ya in a couple months, can't leave till June.
..Michael..
rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 16:00   #53
Eternal Member

Boat: CS36T, 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by meburma View Post
Wolfecon and I are helping Zeehag find some crew here.
So, is Wolfcon at least staying on the boat to crew for Zee?

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." -Groucho Marx
flysci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 16:01   #54
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i had a feeling before leaving sd that i would be having to stop in somewhere--- didnt know would be because of mal de mer-- but is all goood-i will try to leave here by sat. we have to mend a sail and check engine oil and fluids and fuel levels and booogie. the boys leave when i do-- they wanna make sure i am ok i guess--is good-- they are good guys--wish they could stay with htis boat--- we worked well together. david thinks return i s gonna happen--i still have canal and to caribean yet to do, so i may even get tom back..LOL--tha tis flat water, so no adverse motions....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 16:07   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

How's it looking around there for crew?

Tough luck about the sail but looked like you had a pretty good run yesterday.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 16:12   #56
Eternal Member

Boat: CS36T, 36'

What the fudge?! Tom is too seasick to continue? I thought he had cruised before? Is this a new disease for him?

If you're going to be single handing, try to take time for resting. I know there's a protected place at La Tortuga, and probably more. Crew could easily meet you at San Quintin, that is if they are willing to take a Mexican bus! Haha!

I'm SO glad your spirits are good - 'course how could they not be when you're finally on the water!

Fair winds fair bird.

Margo

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." -Groucho Marx
flysci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 16:26   #57

Send a message via AIM to meburma Send a message via Yahoo to meburma Send a message via Skype™ to meburma

In all fairness to Wolfecon. He got seasick but that's not the reason why he has to stop. The stop here in Ensenada puts the Bird too far behind schedule to get him to Mazatlan in time to catch his flight home and get back to his job. Aye, in the end both of us are leaving for financial reasons really.
Old 07-04-2011, 16:34   #58
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by meburma View Post
In all fairness to Wolfecon. He got seasick but that's not the reason why he has to stop. The stop here in Ensenada puts the Bird too far behind schedule to get him to Mazatlan in time to catch his flight home and get back to his job. Aye, in the end both of us are leaving for financial reasons really.
that is true also-- but i came in because of his deathly pallor....and the potential for disaster with health issues at sea. the financial stuff came after we found the bird didnt go as fast as she could have, and we only did potential of 90 miles in a day -- tom needed 110-120 per day to make it ok within his timeframe. to change flights is prohibitively pricey.

margo--i have done my crying and poor me stuff--now is time ot get it together and fly out more--i need ot make maz on time, as it were-- my friends leave in early june late may f or sd......i want to pick their brains first...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 16:49   #59

WOW!!! crew bails in 16 hrs, that's got to be a record of some sort. Maybe I'm missing something but how do financial problems come up after 16 hours at sea? Seems like excuses to exit the voyage to me. But what do I know?
Everyone has gotten seasick at one time or another and it will pass. Why abandon the cruise for that? I thought Wolfcon was ok to leave SD up to Monday the 11th? #1 rule when traveling by sailboat: Don't make exact plans to be anywhere at any particular time. I hope you find crew soon to go with you to Mat. You do have good winds for now.
ude123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 17:00   #60

Unfortunately my financial problems reared their ugly head right as we were leaving. Completely unforeseen bull from the bank and the IRS, and when we got to Ensenada I was informed of a couple of gigs back home that I can work next week that will refill my pocketbook. But the reality is I was caught blind at the last minute and left SD with nothing in my bank or my pocket. I was willing to go all the way to Mazatlan with Zee because that's what I told her I'd do, but truth is I was very nervous about going to a foreign country very far from home with no funds. Zee's a truly wonderful woman and told me to go home and take care of myself first. Can't really argue with that and you can't stop the IRS or the bank from taking what's yours when they decide to. So I go home now and sort out the financial bull and get back on the journey as soon as I can.