Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2018, 15:26   #91

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Warning! Boat seizures reported in Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
A very large proportion of Panama's capital comes from pretty questionable sources.
Some does for sure, but what percentage who knows...those sorts of things aren't disclosed in standard financial reports.

The rumored cartel money, or similar, has led to an interesting phenomena though...lots of brand new, well maintained, but totally vacant high rises in Panama City. You can pass a lot of cash thru a 20 story building per month...I think of them as big laundry mats. [emoji16]

There is also a VERY large amount of Chinese capital which flows into Panama, quite openly and legally. Many hardware stores and supermarkets have been built here with Chinese cash. In contrast to the ghost high rises, these places are bustling with business.

Regardless, Panama also has a very diverse economy, the biggest sector of course being the canal which brings in large revenue.
Old 21-07-2018, 15:33   #92

Boat: 1988 48' Offshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
A very large proportion of Panama's capital comes from pretty questionable sources.
It seems that is true. There are dozens and dozens of high-rise skyscraper- sized condo buildings in Panama City that are totally dark at night. All those condos were bought by shell companies owned by money-launderers who are also the ones building the buildings. So now all their money is 'legit', and with the ability to hide who the beneficial owners of the shell companies are, there is no way to tie them together.

Some of that money does make it into the economy in the form of construction jobs for locals, but most just goes into the bank accounts of the launderers, and those guys don't really live in Panama.
Old 21-07-2018, 15:46   #93
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Miami, NYC, London too

And really now much of the developed world.

Their allies installed in many high positions of power
Old 27-07-2018, 07:43   #94

Boat: 1972 Hatteras 45C

Just a word to the somewhat uninformed. I have been consulting for the last 3 months in Mexicali Mexico. A 6 month work Visa cost $32.00 American Dollars. Took all of 10 minutes to get. Know the law and follow the law just as we expect Mexican citizens to follow our laws.
I'll leave the punishment doled out for others to decide if appropriate or not. God forbid an Amerrican Citizen Should be deported back to the US.
Old 27-07-2018, 08:08   #95

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike mck View Post
Just a word to the somewhat uninformed. I have been consulting for the last 3 months in Mexicali Mexico. A 6 month work Visa cost $32.00 American Dollars. Took all of 10 minutes to get. Know the law and follow the law just as we expect Mexican citizens to follow our laws.
I'll leave the punishment doled out for others to decide if appropriate or not. God forbid an Amerrican Citizen Should be deported back to the US.
This. A friend of mine has been working for years in Mexico on a work visa. He has to leave the country every 6 months then he returns. Follow the rules..
Old 27-07-2018, 08:12   #96

When you're anchored up in some beautiful harbor for several weeks and you run out of things to do, this thread is the typical result. ))

The original post was informational. I don't really see why the second posted jumped up the guy's butt.

Maybe time to haul up and move somewhere new?
Old 27-07-2018, 09:02   #97

I don't see this as a complaint-post, more of a forewarning.
Old 27-07-2018, 09:03   #98

My sentiments exactly. Cranky sailor!
Old 27-07-2018, 09:10   #99
cruiser

Boat: 1963 Pearson Ariel, Hull 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
they need to build a wall to keep those yankees from stealing mexican jobs............

edit.... not going to help much when they arrive by boat
"I believe the Gringos call it turnabout."

If things get bad enough here in the US, the Mexicans will have to build a wall to keep us out.... Ah hah! That must be Trump's plan to force Mexico to pay for the wall!
Old 27-07-2018, 09:16   #100

Boat: Leopard 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jannie Radiance View Post
This is kak funny. You come from a president that wants to build a wall between you and Mextex. Then you want to do illegal activity is that same country....you are a special kind of stupid ... are you not???lmfao!!!!!
And you come from a nation currently engaged in property seizures and white genocide...do you not?
Old 27-07-2018, 09:27   #101

Boat: Goderich 35 steel cutter rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjags View Post
Why should he be busted? If the owner is happy with the level of service and the price, who is anyone to say he can't offer them?

Locals often don't have the requisite skills to do the work, and there is often a language barrier.
Duh, perhaps because its illegal. But more to the point the U.S.A. has been less than polite under your latest administration to all of its closest neighbours.
Payback is a bitch.
Old 27-07-2018, 09:39   #102

Boat: GibSea 472

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
why would i want to do that?

as a cruiser who anchors out all the time,with a budget of say $600 a month ,in a country where the national average wage is $150, this gives me 4 times the spending power of a local.
Good,idea. But keep in mind that every country has its own rules,laws, and strange way of dealing with aliens(your are an alien in Mexico!). So follow the rules, as we do do when navigating in USA, where rules abound from anchoring local constraint to sale taxes on yacht after over staying in some states.
Old 27-07-2018, 09:44   #103

Boat: Catalina 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjags View Post
Well please jump in and tell me where I'm wrong.

I live in Panama, and the dearth of skilled workers here is unbelievable. If I need my boat rigged, I know of only 2 people in Panama with the skills to do it. One is from New Zealand, the other from Spain.

There are plenty of people here who can do construction, but to Panama island standards, not to American or European standards. So I use a Frenchman who lives on the island. If it's a task that i'm comfortable that the local workers can handle, I'm always happy to hire them.

But my Spanish is not always up to the task of detailing the nuances of what needs to be done, so I sometimes use the Frenchman anyway, since his Spanish is much better than mine. He hires the locals and supervises the work.

The real world is often a lot different than people in ivory towers imagine.
Last I checked Panama wasn't an Island, and yes, I was there in the past 3 months.
Old 27-07-2018, 11:28   #104

With the Boom in boating tourism in Mexico It was only a matter of time before enforcement would become more professional. If you take the time to read the Mexican boating regulations they are very straight forward about how to run a charter and what is required to legally run a charter business which a lot of Americans do.
Old 27-07-2018, 11:38   #105

Boat: Goderich 35 steel cutter rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
Exactly !!

You can expect to be punished, and often severely, for breaking laws if you are a foreigner in every country in the world. Except the USA, if you are in the country illegally in the first place.
Except the U.S.A? Ignorance is bliss i suppose.
Closed Thread

Tags
boat, Mexico