Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2010, 17:01   #1

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
Volvo Ocean Race to Run from Cape Town to Abu Dhabi

I was just looking at the race schedule for the 2011/2012 race, and leg 2 is from Cape Town to Abu Dhabi. They intend to run outside of Madagascar and then NNE to the entrance to the Persian gulf.

Leg 3 will be from Abu Dhabi to Sanya, a city in Souther Hainan province, China. That means running the Malacca strait, same as they ran last time between Indonesia and Malaysia.

Both of these legs, especially leg 2 take them into pirate waters. Looking at the maps of where the Somalis are tagging ships, this could be very nasty. Imagine them getting their mitts on a couple of these boats. Lots of ransom money to be had there I'll bet.

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 17:04   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Lol... wonder which of the organisers are getting shares in Somalia PLC..... all info posted online including route and positions....

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 15:47   #3

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: Volvo Ocean Race to Run from Cape Town to Abu Dhabi

From the VOR website:

The threat of piracy in the Indian Ocean has become so severe that organisers have had to redraw the route for this leg and the boats will now make their way to a safe haven. They will then be transported closer to the finish line for a sprint into Abu Dhabi.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 18:44   #4

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
From the VOR website:

The threat of piracy in the Indian Ocean has become so severe that organisers have had to redraw the route for this leg and the boats will now make their way to a safe haven. They will then be transported closer to the finish line for a sprint into Abu Dhabi.
I'm glad to hear they are addressing that particular safety issue. It is too bad in the 21st century we still have to deal with pirate infested waters. The U.S. Navy has a policy of catch and release when in those waters. I will include a link to a Russian video, that shows that they handle things a bit differently. I should caution you, it is pretty rough to see.

deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 01:57   #5

Boat: Tanzer 7.5 sailboat | Current Designs Solstice GTS kayak

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
I'm glad to hear they are addressing that particular safety issue. It is too bad in the 21st century we still have to deal with pirate infested waters. The U.S. Navy has a policy of catch and release when in those waters. I will include a link to a Russian video, that shows that they handle things a bit differently. I should caution you, it is pretty rough to see.

They sunk a boat that was a hazard to navigation and provided some fun for the engine room boys? Not that rough.

A couple of days ago I went to the VOR exhibition at the cape town waterfront. Asked one of the guys there about the route to Abu Dhabi and he was quite defensive about the whole thing and then started looking at me as if I was a Somali spy when I asked him where the boats are going to be picked up.
alan_za is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 11:32   #6

Boat: too many

I mean it was pretty rough when they killed all the pirates aboard the vessel. Reminds me of an incident on a unnamed containership, that also took the law into their own hands. The second mate was on watch following standing orders of running at a fuel conserving speed of 17 kts in heavy fog. The second mate noticed on his radar a vessel on a converging course that they would be intercepting. Turns out this vessel was pirates. The pirates hailed the second mate over VHF, instructing him to slow down for boarding. This happened close to 10 years ago and in those days all the pirates were after was the cash in the captain's safe. Old maritime law stipulated that every vessel had to carry enough cash to be able to pay the crew in entirety at any given port. Of course the pirates also want all the cigarettes they could carry from the duty-free. The second mate did not respond to the order to slow down, and because of that the pirates started shooting the windows of the bridge. He called the old man to come to the bridge and when he did he relieved the second mate, called for full ahead sea speed. The captain was furious, when he took the helm. This particular containership has a top speed of 24 kts. He ordered a Williamson turn, which is used for man overboard drills and entered into the logbook that a man overboard drill was taking place. It wasn't long that lumbering containership got up to speed, pulled away from the Pirates, and was executing the Williamson turn.

Some of you are probably familiar with the radar systems we have aboard large ships, and are employed for collision avoidance. The same software program that allows you to plot a course and speed of vessels around you on your screen so that you can take evasive actions can also be used to ensure a collision. In the heavy fog that is what the captain intended to do. He was successful, destroyed the Pirate's vessel and presumably killed all on board.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cape town, volvo