Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-12-2015, 08:57   #61

Boat: 55' sloop.
Re: Vessel boarded and robbed between Trinidad and Grenada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freemind View Post
Indeed.
Sad state of affairs. I personally wouldn't take a chance with gas bombs. I'd rather use a normal flare gun or two than that.
I'll be inclined to fill their hull full of holes and unass the area asap.
Really? Have you ever been approached by a suspicious boat at sea? At what point, exactly, would you start "filling their hull full of holes"? I am glad you realise that "gas bombs" are an absolutely absurd idea.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Old 25-12-2015, 09:01   #62

Boat: Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
In the past, I've agreed with many of your posts, you seem very logical and well informed. However, on this particular topic, I guess we're just going to disagree. I would like to examine some of our differences in viewpoint.

I'd like to know what exactly you plan to do if you ever get boarded by pirates?

What if they decide they don't want any witnesses? Just accept your fate as a victim of senseless violence?
Dead men tell no tales category.. A gun is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have it, you won't be needing one again.
Old 25-12-2015, 09:03   #63

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
Really? Have you ever been approached by a suspicious boat at sea? At what point, exactly, would you start "filling their hull full of holes"?
I remember two of my friends sailing through a dangerous zone.
They opted for some hired guns on board.
Long story short: they came very close to sinking / shooting some fishermen.

To be fair: the situation would have made me a little more then 'nervous' too.
But it proofs the validity of the question at what point you start "defending" yourself ...
Old 25-12-2015, 09:04   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by powsmias View Post
Dead men tell no tales category.. A gun is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have it, you won't be needing one again.
Oh, you mean like Sir Peter Blake and Peter Tangvald's wife?
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Old 25-12-2015, 09:13   #65

I am not sure about firearms. Someone will always have a bigger weapon. Perhaps the solution is for each cruising boat to carry a small tactical nuclear device. After all if someone used it word would get around!
Old 25-12-2015, 09:15   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Mike View Post
Yet another reason to sail fully armed. Also I'm thinking some pre made ready to go Molotov Cocktails might be handy as well.
Grenades in a horizontal launcher. I can see a business for making deck mounted chrome plated mini canons. Canon bracket posts on bow, stern, port and starboard that you could easily put drop your canon into.

I do believe that if more insidence of piracy in the region occur then boaters/sailors should get together and demand an agreement or treaty that allows all on the seas to carry weapons. Each country can have their individual laws about bringing guns ashore but all cruising vessels should be given the right to arm themselves. I do think this should be an international treaty as well.

By the way, how much is the boating industry worth to these Caribbean countries? Boaters and sailors have far more political power than they realize.
Old 25-12-2015, 09:17   #67

Boat: Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Oh, you mean like Sir Peter Blake and Peter Tangvald's wife?
Prior to the attack, the yacht's crew had been very careful when travelling up the river and back down again; they always had crew members on watch. Only upon return to Macapa did they relax their guard.

yeah those guys...just like them.. better to be judged by twelve than carried by six.. and if this isis crap doesn't wake people up it's gonna get a lot worse. even nj of all places is starting to undo some restrictions. notice how they hit san bernadino. same thing happened in texas.. different outcome in texas. they won't be hitting those places anymore but will attack the anti gun states. it ain't rocket science.
Old 25-12-2015, 09:19   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
As far as guns go ...

On a personal note: I'm fine with our gun control laws. Very few shootings here, and the ones that do happen are usually criminals settling a score. I'm good with that; let them kill each other, saves us a lot of time and money trying to get them before a judge and maybe into jail for a couple of years, after which they continue with business as usual anyway.

https://www.government.nl/latest/new...be-substantial
Old 25-12-2015, 09:20   #69

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabcake View Post
With all due respect, Chicken Little reported the sky was falling
No worries , I was just posting what a cruiser in Grenada had posted.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 25-12-2015, 09:22   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by powsmias View Post
Prior to the attack, the yacht's crew had been very careful when travelling up the river and back down again; they always had crew members on watch. Only upon return to Macapa did they relax their guard.

yeah those guys...just like them.. better to be judged by twelve than carried by six.. and if this isis crap doesn't wake people up it's gonna get a lot worse. even nj of all places is starting to undo some restrictions. notice how they hit san bernadino. same thing happened in texas.. different outcome in texas. they won't be hitting those places anymore but will attack the anti gun states. it ain't rocket science.
You should get out more. I can hear the call to prayer from where I am currently moored. No issues mate. I am not religious, and don't really like any religions, but you… are just scared and poorly informed, on this point at least. FWIW ISIL/DAESH is the product, precisely, of too much weaponry and resort to "solution by gun and bomb". But they are far from the greatest threat to you, if you live in Texas, or Malaysia for that matter… in which latter case it would have to be a toss up between the traffic and the poorly covered storm drains.

As to Blake and Mrs. Tangvald, they died because they attempted to use firearms in defense, and for no other reason as is made perfectly clear by the fact that in each case, all others, witnesses to murder, were left entirely alone.
Old 25-12-2015, 09:22   #71

Boat: Ericson MKIII 35'

Quote:
Really? Have you ever been approached by a suspicious boat at sea? At what point, exactly, would you start "filling their hull full of holes"? I am glad you realise that "gas bombs" are an absolutely absurd idea.
When their guns are out and menacing my crew or myself.
You do what you can to survive. Trying to get them with a Molotov cocktail is beyond my skill level.
Old 25-12-2015, 09:27   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
This is a little concerning, but hard to say if the victims aren't reporting or noonsite isn't updating.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Very disturbing if Noonsite is censoring in order to play down the dangers. Also disturbing if they can't be relied upon now as an accurate information source.
Old 25-12-2015, 09:28   #73

Boat: Ericson MKIII 35'

Lizzy Bell,
I think you are correct. To each their own. It doesn't matter if
people agree with me, as long as they don't try to outlaw my belief or legal method's.
Old 25-12-2015, 09:31   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freemind View Post
When their guns are out and menacing my crew or myself.
You do what you can to survive. Trying to get them with a Molotov cocktail is beyond my skill level.
Well then you would be just as likely to be firing on the local police, in half the developing world. Aware of that? And if it is "they" and they have military longarms… you'd better be better than Josey Wales. Or you'd just be committing suicide. Of course, when engaging in these little fantasies, the afficionados of weaponry do like to cast themselves in the light of the likes of Josey Wales. Thing is… reality just isn't like that.
Old 25-12-2015, 09:34   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
Why do you doubt the veracity of the report? Why would someone make up such a story?

I'm glad you feel comfortable being a victim anywhere in the world. As you point out, crime happens anywhere and everywhere. Lacking fear isn't really much of a deterrent, but being armed might be.
Here's one for starters - happens all the time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tawana...pe_allegations
Closed Thread

Tags
bed, Grenada