Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-12-2015, 06:09   #16

Boat: 1981 Morgan OI 41
Re: Vessel boarded and robbed between Trinidad and Grenada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbs Up View Post
I am anti gun.
This could be a legal weapon
"I am anti gun." That's sad.

"This could be a legal weapon" I imagine the ATF would have something to say about that.

Not that it wouldn't work and it would be a "Blast" to play with but I wouldn't want to count on it in a pinch. The trick would be in getting the bottle to explode in the water in front of them if it were going to be a scare tactic.

I'd be more prone to try and take out their engine with a 7.62X39 round and just leave them there to paddle home.
Old 25-12-2015, 06:12   #17

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
I dont think the wussies win at all, the rest of us just stop trying to reason with them.
Meanwhile all the "wussies" continue to sail to all those places that the gun totin' folk cleaning and caressing their weapon fantasies mostly only dream of…

The proportion of serious adventure cruising sailors exploring the world who carry guns and entertain ridiculous fantasies of throwing fuel bombs at people while at sea to those who just sail without fear is tiny. As is the number of incidents worldwide in any year. And how many successfully defend themselves with their beloved weapons, eh? But by all means continue to peer at the world overtop of your weapons and your fears.

And have a Merry Xmas.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Old 25-12-2015, 06:15   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Mike View Post
"I am anti gun." That's sad.

"This could be a legal weapon" I imagine the ATF would have something to say about that.

Not that it wouldn't work and it would be a "Blast" to play with but I wouldn't want to count on it in a pinch. The trick would be in getting the bottle to explode in the water in front of them if it were going to be a scare tactic.

I'd be more prone to try and take out their engine with a 7.62X39 round and just leave them there to paddle home.
You guys do love to cast yourself in the starring role of a silly action movie, don't you?

Merry Xmas!
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Old 25-12-2015, 06:23   #19

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
A yacht was boarded by a fishing boat armed with a gun that looked like a rapid fire automatic and robbed about half way between Trinidad and Grenada. Cash, passports, computers and electronics were taken, no one was hurt. The vessel was, as far as I understand, on a pretty direct route from Chaguaramas to Port Louis.
I would not let this stop me sailing to Trinidad, but I think I would try to sty a bit east of the direct route. The TT coastguard know about it, Hopefully they will take rapid action."[/I]
In the old days, reports were based on facts ...

Which boat? Dunno
What guns? Dunno
Where? Dunno, I just heard some talk about it

The I would not let this stop me sailing to Trinidad made me laugh - if you want to be cruising but might avoid any country where you might get robbed, burgled or whatever crime, you can' t go anywhere. Can't stay home either, cos crimes happen there too ...
Old 25-12-2015, 06:45   #20

Boat: O'Day 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
Would those be the "wussies" who sail all over the world without cowering behind fantasies of burning people alive with petrol bombs? Oh yeah, those wussies. And while you're at it, how many leisure vessels can you show evidence of which have been successfully defended by the use of "molotov cocktails"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
I dont think the wussies win at all, the rest of us just stop trying to reason with them.
Yeah, I should have said it that way. There's a certain element of craziness magical thinking in folks insisting we'll be safe when we hand in our weapons. And apologies Muckle, I wasn't really endorsing the Molotov cocktail idea. But as to your rantish notion of incredibly brave sailors around the world ... all that bravado goes away after dark in a strange anchorage.
Old 25-12-2015, 06:50   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Yeah, I should have said it that way. There's a certain element of craziness magical thinking in folks insisting we'll be safe when we hand in our weapons. And apologies Muckle, I wasn't really endorsing the Molotov cocktail idea. But as to your rantish notion of incredibly brave sailors around the world ... all that bravado goes away after dark in a strange anchorage.
No. It doesn't. Been in many hundreds mate, all over the world, first, second, and third. Most of the last decade in my life has been spent sailing in various parts of the "third world". But think what you like, if it makes you happier, and feel more "secure".

Merry Xmas.
Old 25-12-2015, 06:53   #22

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Well, this thread won't last long.

But I would like to point out, it was a self described anti-gun person who brought up molatovs and potato guns.

Also, the no-gun sailors descriptions of the mindset of those who carry arms aboard are far from accurate. eg. .. caressing, looking at the world over the sights, etc
Old 25-12-2015, 06:55   #23

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
In the old days, reports were based on facts ...

The I would not let this stop me sailing to Trinidad made me laugh - if you want to be cruising but might avoid any country where you might get robbed, burgled or whatever crime, you can' t go anywhere. Can't stay home either, cos crimes happen there too ...
Lol very true, we'd never leave our homes in the US .

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 25-12-2015, 06:57   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
That "report" was pure speculation. No basis for it at all.
Good point. I should have stated that.

Old 25-12-2015, 06:59   #25

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

These arguments always get so polarized. On one side you have the group that does drum circles and group hugs. The other side has retractable machine gun turrets mounted on bow and stern.

The reality is that a gun (or any other weapon) is like any other tool. You keep it clean and stored away until a specific job requires that tool. Then you use it in an efficient manner to accomplish the task when it's needed. It's like that extendable magnet stick. I may never use it, or only once in ten years, but when I drop that little screw the bottom of the bilge it's a life saver.

It would be nice to get details on these type of instances (boat size, where it happened exactly, any circumstances like they flashed money in port etc) that might make a difference to those of us who need to do a risk analysis on where to travel.
Old 25-12-2015, 07:00   #26

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Vessel boarded and robbed between Trinidad and Grenada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
No. It doesn't. Been in many hundreds mate, all over the world, first, second, and third. Most of the last decade in my life has been spent sailing in various parts of the "third world". But think what you like, if it makes you happier, and feel more "secure".

Merry Xmas.
We're all swashbucklers on the internet. Happy Festivus to you cap.
Old 25-12-2015, 07:01   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Frog View Post
Noonsite has been quite selective lately on what to publish.
This is a little concerning, but hard to say if the victims aren't reporting or noonsite isn't updating.

Old 25-12-2015, 07:03   #28
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Merry Christmas

CSSN is in direct contact with the victims. As soon as we clarify a few facts from the victims first hand report, we will publish the incident report through our usual channels. This should happen in a few hours. The report will also be available on our website at the following address.

https://www.safetyandsecuritynet.com/newsreports/
Old 25-12-2015, 07:07   #29
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedeking2 View Post
. It's like that extendable magnet stick. I may never use it, or only once in ten years, but when I drop that little screw the bottom of the bilge it's a life saver.

I thought I was the only one with the ingenious plan to throw my extending magnet stick at attacking pirates, disabling their outboard magneto and causing them to shake their fists in frustration as I sail off into the yonder. I guess great minds think alike!
Old 25-12-2015, 07:07   #30
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

What I meant when I said that it could be a "legal" weapon is that disassembled, it would only amount to a box of plastic pipe and fittings that would survive the scrutiny of any clearing in procedure. Assembled, if made to look like a large turret gun, it could actually serve as a visual deterrent. If anyone actually wants to discuss this go ahead and start a new thread on it. Back to the original topic of this thread though, the key words were: NO ONE WAS HURT. If these sailors had pulled a gun on these pirates I think that it could have been a fatal mistake on their part. Once again I am ANTI GUN! But I don't believe that it is good to perpetuate the notion that we cruisers are never armed either.
Closed Thread

Tags
bed, Grenada