Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2010, 19:21   #31

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
My sentence about "extermination" was to illustrate that the solution - reducing population is a non-starter and is not going to happen short of some cataclysmic event, either unintentionally made by mankind or forced on us by Mother Nature.
- - If you spend considerable time in less-developed countries and un-developed countries you observe an entirely different mind-set of the "natives" towards population; pollution; and over-farming/fishing land and sea. They live closer to a "survival" level existence where the niceties of an abundance driven society is unknown. You cannot educate/inspire somebody living at the existence level to "give up" food, fuel, or family for some future global benefit.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 19:30   #32

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Education and Enlightenment has failed for the last 5000yrs... and birth control.. waste of time if its voluntary as the increasing number of single teenage moms demonstrates..
WAR seems to be Mankinds only successful solution to date...
I love the way you think, Boatman, but I'm gonna pick this line apart. Education and Enlightenment have never been widespread and available to the masses of the poor and downtrodden. Voluntary birth control just might work if there was a pill FREELY available EVERYWHERE to teen BOYS and beyond, and WAR IS NOT THE ANSWER. Truthfully, if your parents had made a pill available to you when you became active...something you could take without too much thought, wouldn't you have used it? What if it came with a fact filled lecture about the damage overpopulation had recently done to our Mother Planet?

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 19:40   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
For any other specie on this planet, once the available food has equaled the food necessary to support the population, then the population stops increasing.

Humans are getting closer all the time.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 20:01   #34
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

I agree Orris...
They cant afford Pension Funds so a child a year is the norm and hopefully enough will survive to care for them in their dotage...
Pollution is something introduced mainly by Western Corporations as they exploit the cheap labour and lack of Regulation...
Over Farming is difficult as the World Bank and other Western dominated organisations bribe Governments into building limited life Hydroelectric Dams (on loans) forcing 100,000's of people from fertile farmlands into semi desert regions against their will... India and Pakistan are prime examples.
I notice there's no offers to Bangladesh where a dam would save lives..
Overfishing is down to the Factory Ships of the Dominant Countries in the G8... of course they'll catch and eat what they can.. we've left them nothing else.
One of the greatest Indictments against the West I've seen was a 5yr old kid in Karachi who was dropped off at a rubbish tip at 5am every morning and he had to sit there till 8pm, shovelling anything that could possibly be salvaged into a gunnysack... he looked like a kid till you got close enough to see his eyes.. and then you saw a 70yr old...
And don't tell me about the millions the USA give Pakistan... its got a lot of strings attached to keep the US munitions firms subsidised... and people like the Bhutto's don't help either.. another set of thieves like the World Bank...
I've lived out there, played with the village kids and slept in their homes when I was a kid... slightly different perspective to the usual Intercontinental view of a country...
Sorry.. get a bit wound up sometimes...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 20:12   #35

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by idpnd View Post
Except our evolution/warming denying, Kansas-educated friends of course. Where are the global warming deniers?
Algore just bought a WATERFRONT house...

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 20:19   #36

Quote:
I've lived out there, played with the village kids and slept in their homes when I was a kid... slightly different perspective to the usual Intercontinental view of a country...
It's good to have your perspective here Boatman, and I feel your frustration. As dire as our situation and the current predictions seem, I will not abandon hope in Humanity...because I am human. When I was a kid, our nation would have put the chance of having a black president at near zero. Sometimes things DO change for the better. This is not a political statement. It's a human rights statement. Is it not possible that we are on the cusp of a great age?

Old 06-05-2010, 20:24   #37
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Van H View Post
I love the way you think, Boatman, but I'm gonna pick this line apart. Education and Enlightenment have never been widespread and available to the masses of the poor and downtrodden. Voluntary birth control just might work if there was a pill FREELY available EVERYWHERE to teen BOYS and beyond, and WAR IS NOT THE ANSWER. Truthfully, if your parents had made a pill available to you when you became active...something you could take without too much thought, wouldn't you have used it? What if it came with a fact filled lecture about the damage overpopulation had recently done to our Mother Planet?

Education and Enlightenment...
Controlled by Religon to be used/suppressed and twisted to its own ends as demonstrated by Romanised Christian monks/priests for 2000 years and by Mullahs for 1400yrs..
Between them they've destroyed more than 80% ancient wisdoms.. created Gnyephobia and practicaly eliminated all trace of the ancient nations ruled by women..
The majority of mankind are still too close to the Primal to be capable of more than trampling over each other to survive..
Remember that old Burt Lancaster(I think)film Sil?? Green..
we''ll end up feeding on each other... Jeez.. even foxes know to reduce/stop breeding in bad years..

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 06-05-2010, 20:30   #38

Quote:
Remember that old Burt Lancaster(I think)film Sil?? Green..
we''ll end up feeding on each other... Jeez.. even foxes know to reduce/stop breeding in bad years..
SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!!! Hope I didn't spoil the ending for anyone. It was Charlton Heston. You can also find him in CF gun threads... As far as foxes go, I could never breed with one...must have been some bad years...

Old 06-05-2010, 20:34   #39
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

ROFLMAO..... Nice one Christian..

Old 06-05-2010, 20:39   #40

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter
Quote:
Hohohoho.... this is gonna be fun........ Here we go..
1/ Every child on reaching Puberty should have an operation(reversible)that prevents pregnancy... hell... the Holy Joes of all Religions can probably come up with some ritual for it... they did for me at a certain age... it didn't half hurt..
and I had no say in the matter...
2/ The Operation can only be reversed when they have reached an acceptable age/financial status to support children and marry... State approval required..
3/ They are only permitted one child of each sex.. genetically manipulated if necessary.
4/ Once the second child is born both adults are permanently sterilized..

Natural selection, disease, accidents, wars, etc, will then erode the human mountain very quickly and hopefully induce a greater value and respect for life than we have at present... hopefully this respect will spread enough to cover the Natural World...
The God Squads seems to think the Planet and all in it are ours to use and abuse as we wish... just wish they could READ...
We were I believe, supposed to be "Caretakers" of this Creation..
Instead we are the..
Human
Insanity
Virus
that is slowly destroying the immune system of this Living Planet...

Time to start killing of the Virus guys n gals...

A non Fish Eater

Well said, Brother Boatman! I do feel we must grope forward through the fog for a way to save humanity.

Birth control should be taught and offerred free in all it's forms for everyone from 13 or older in every village, town and city on the planet. But getting anyone to think on a more fundamental level than immediate self interest seems fruitless for more than one cycle. Then corruption and entropy seem to seep in.

My money is not on war anymore. My money on the mechanism of population halving is pandemic.

It's shrimp I don't eat. Those draggers destroy the bottom for a few pounds of frickin' shrimp. Disgraceful. I hope shrimpers using drag nets are put out of business.
Old 06-05-2010, 20:39   #41

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Chris, I admire your optimism.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 20:43   #42

BTW, I had to look up "Gynophobia". Fear of Women. I thought I got that from my first grade teacher, Mrs. Wood. I think she was an alien...

Old 06-05-2010, 20:48   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Chris, I admire your optimism.
Deep, as I read these posts from our cruising brothers and sisters, I think you would agree there is reason for hope. I wish we were all sitting around a table instead of a computer. I'd get boatman to buy us all a beer!

Old 06-05-2010, 20:51   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Fatalism

I see no value in fatalism. I've been speaking out all my life for the things I believe in. What can people do? You could plant your corner of the world with trees to hold graound water, create environments for the creatures we have endangered, recycle, pick up after yourself and others, help create food sources, choose to act in a manner that respects environments and other species and their right to exist in an environment that is friendly to them, make every effort to prevent your government from waging war, keep your bilge clean, your anchor off reefs, make every effort to conserve and speak out against the behaviors that are damaging our world. IT'S NOT OVER YET!

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 20:56   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
IT'S NOT OVER YET!
Amen, Hummingway, but you forgot what is possibly the most important step toward success; TEACH YOUR CHILDREN. Make them understand the "Why" of it all...