Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2016, 10:58   #76

Boat: Comet 41s
Re: Vendee Globe Starts Today, Facts, Video, Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamgoat View Post
Love the quote from Enda O C oineen, ''This is so hard. So that I can never,ever do something like this again,I will sign a legal binding document and give it to somebody in trust so they can stop me from ever, ever, ever again doing something like this.''
He's still got a looonnng way to go !!
I have to admit I was not waiting much about Enda O Coinen that seemed to me one of those rich amateurs without much experience on this kind of circumnavigation races that don't really know what was going to happen to him.

And even if by his words it seems that I was right the fact is that he is going faster and faster, learning the ropes with a surprisingly speed, overtaking more experienced competitors (some that had already made the vendee). Maybe he just want to get rid of it

Cheers to him, quite a Character!!!

Regarding storms, it is not only the ones ahead that will have to fight them, look at Enda and Rich wilson boat in 24 to 48 hours:
https://gis.ee/vg/?boat=13
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 14:58   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
PELAGIC,
Thanks for asking that question, which I have wondered too.

POLUX,
Thanks for answering that question so well, so clearly, and so meaningfully for me. It is an interesting aspect of a sport that one nation may take it to heart and support it well. Also, thank you for mentioning the other solo and duo races, which are lesser known to most Americans (me included). It is good to learn about them too.
If you appreciated that information I am sure you will enjoy this one regarding one of those races that is made since 1970, La Solitaire du Figaro (from 1970 -70 called Course de l'Aurore) and the relation between winners and Vendee top racers. It is raced in small offshore boats made by Beneteau, this one (he did not manage to put that SPI flyng LOL):

Vendee Globe classification: 1st Armel le Cleash (won the Solitaire du Figaro in 2003 and 2010),3rd, Paul Meilhat (2011-6th, 2014-5th), 4rd Jeremie Beyou ( won in 2005, 2011, 2014), 5th Yann Ellies (won in 2012, 2013, 2015), 7th, Jean le Cam (won in 1994, 1999)

And just look at the boat where those races will be made in a near future:

Old 13-12-2016, 03:36   #78

The three that I mentioned previously and that were trying to escape that big storm are now sailing in difficult conditions, so difficult that they had no time to make the usual statements regarding the way they are sailing.

I guess that for now all have a pretty god idea of what these boats are able to do in stormy conditions. He saw Armel and Alex passing a big depression "slowing down" to 16k so we all can have some information regarding what those guys are going trough by the boat speeds.

Le Cam, with his Southern approach seems to be the one that chose a better routing. the Storm is moving slightly North now and he is being able to make some speed, averaging a bit more than 13k on the last 24 hours and also on the last 4 hours, but the storm, that will go on for several days, will block all passage between New Zealand and the ice line and he will have to slow down letting the storm go ahead of him. Maybe the best approach.

Yann Ellies is really on the middle of it and I believe he was going to try passing near the South coast of Tasmania and South Coast of New Zealand where the wind and sea seems less. But the fact is that he is not doing any significant way towards it. He had done on the last 24 hours 2.1K!!!!! and on the last 4 hours 1.7K!!!!!.

He is in survival mode trying to manage the boat the best he can against huge waves, keeping it almost stationary. The conditions should be terrible. They were talking about the possibility of 10m waves and over 70K gusts. I really hope all turns out well for him. He had already 24 hours of that weather and many more hours of it will be ahead.

My respect for Jean-Pierre Dick increased. I thought he was crazy to lose so much time going for the Bass strait but looking at what is happening to Yann, regarding the position he was in, it seems to me he took the right decision.

The last 24 hours were terrible for him, with very low speeds but he is managing to make route to the strait and leaved already behind him the worst of it. He had done 4.6 average speed on the last 24 hours but on the last 4 he is making 8.1k.

All concerns go now to Yann Ellies, on survival mode on the middle of that huge storm.

News - Big storm expected December 13th and 14th south of Tasmania - Vendée Globe 2016-2017
Old 13-12-2016, 07:10   #79

It seems the crisis has passed. No report of damages, till know and they are all increasing speed, even if I believe the sea conditions, after the worst of that storm, has to be nasty:

Jean-Pierre Dick is making over 18k, Yann Ellies resumed sailing and is making over 13 and Le Cam is making over 15k.

On the tail, Attanasio, after repairing the rudders has already overtook the last, he is chasing Didac Costa and both chasing Pieter. Look at his smile for being racing again and at over 20k!!!:

Vendée Globe 2016-2017

Another one that is going really fast is Thomas Ruyant, after having repaired the battens and that breakage that resuled in water entering the boat: 18k average on the last 24 hours (432nm), chapeau. He is on his first vendee and except phenomenal sailors, like François Gabart, no rookie is expected to sail really fast till he learn the ropes to sail on the Southern Ocean.

It seems to me Ruyant is learning fast. Here, yesterday, solving a problem with the lazy bag.
Old 13-12-2016, 07:45   #80
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

R.I.P. Derek
Old 13-12-2016, 09:05   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
R.I.P. Derek
https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...ead-at-63.html
Old 13-12-2016, 15:57   #82

Boat: Tartan 37 #6

My 'windytv' now says ''no more updates. Vendee Globe have made boat positions unavailable for fan sites'' Whats up ???
steamgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 16:03   #83
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

I am guessing that the official site Sponsors are upset that Windytv are stealing away their audience and advertising hits

I can't really blame them since this race now depends on corporate sponsorship
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 16:57   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
I am guessing that the official site Sponsors are upset that Windytv are stealing away their audience and advertising hits

I can't really blame them since this race now depends on corporate sponsorship
They are the ones to blame. They come up with a tracker that was to heavy for most computers, took an eternity to offer has option the "old" tracker, 2D they call it. The new tracker has nothing new besides being unnecessarily heavy and the wind presentation is miles below what windy offers, not to mention the boat position regarding forecasted weather.

Even so the "official" tracker has more updated information and I believe most that are following the race use both. At least I do.

I am not sure if blocking windy tracker was a good idea for them. Windy tracker provided a much better understanding of what was going on on the race make it a lot more interesting and in the end that is much more important for them than some eventual publicity loss on that sector. Short views on the subject.
Old 13-12-2016, 17:15   #85
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Yes the official site is really slow and quite top heavy. Guess they were really ambitious trying to put us on every boat and give us real time tracking..

I can just imagine Bernard having to deal with this daily check in when chasing the Long Way, as he stopped to talk to the Birds. [emoji3]
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 17:39   #86

I prefer to use the lighter version they offer. The one they call 3d is just more heavy without nothing really new.

Back to the race, it seems that Jeremie Beyou passed to attack mode: He is chasing successfully the 3rd, Paul Meilhat. Much closer now.

Jean-Pierre Dick is going to lose a lot with that turn around Tasmania and Le Cam is catching Yann Elies.
Old 13-12-2016, 20:43   #87

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
...I have been doing this on forums since a long time not only regarding this race but regarding very interesting Transats, with very few people interested. This year it seems different and I am quite satisfied with it.
I also want you to know that I've really appreciated your analysis and insights! Thanks
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 22:07   #88

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

If you join the virtual race, your map will show the real boats as well as the virtual boats and forecast wind fields. Plus, you can practice your weather routing and learn about weather patterns. I've passed Dick, Elies and Le Cam in the past few days. The virtual boats get their best speeds in 35-40 knots off the wind, so I'm trying to stay in the strong winds and racking up 600 mile days. When the real boats are pressed hard they are faster than the virtual boats.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2016, 08:54   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
If you join the virtual race, your map will show the real boats as well as the virtual boats and forecast wind fields. Plus, you can practice your weather routing and learn about weather patterns. I've passed Dick, Elies and Le Cam in the past few days. The virtual boats get their best speeds in 35-40 knots off the wind, so I'm trying to stay in the strong winds and racking up 600 mile days. When the real boats are pressed hard they are faster than the virtual boats.
That's the difference regarding being there. I bet that you would not willingly look for 40ft winds if you were there
Old 14-12-2016, 09:18   #90

After having being stopped on a big storm, Yann Ellies is quite happy sailing fast with 40K average wind on a sea that he says it is not bad but that it can become worst.

On the vendee site they made a great post:

"The two pairs of racers out in front avoided the hammering from the big blow in the Southern Ocean, while the three skippers chasing them had to deal with the heavy weather for two days with winds in excess of fifty knots and mountainous seas. All three have made it through these conditions, each using their own method. Jean-Pierre Dick opted to race through the Bass Strait, Yann Eliès hove to and Jean Le Cam slowed down before taking off and making big gains.

The big blow had been forecast for several days and required drastic measures. The winner was Jean Le Cam, who thanks to his position further back and further south, was able to continue to make headway under reduced sail without ever getting stopped or changing his heading.

This is something that Yann Eliès was unable to do and in the end it was the skipper from St. Brieuc, who bore the brunt of the angry weather in the south. This is the second time in the eighth Vendée Globe that skippers have had to modify their trajectory to avoid getting battered by a deep low....

What is unusual about this storm is that it deepened as it approached the Pacific. In the worst of the storm, there are winds in excess of 55 knots this morning, as it slips south-eastwards to pass to the south of New Zealand.

The three skippers, who have spread right out in the Tasman Sea can see that this storm will be affecting the pair ahead of them, Paul Meilhat (SMA) and Jérémie Beyou, who passed Auckland Island this morning and then Campbell Island. Since the Indian Ocean, when Maître CoQ got left behind losing 250 miles, Jérémie Beyou has got back up to speed and is now only sixty miles or so behind.

The pair will be pushed along by this area of low pressure, which is still not filling, as it continues to head down to the pack ice. This should allow them to accelerate and close the gap slightly on the two frontrunners.

At the front, the pace has changed. They are still fast for the moment, but that is set to change over the next few hours. The shallow low will even be offering headwinds to Armel Le Cléac’h (Banque Populaire VIII), as he makes his way along the edge of the exclusion zone at 52°S.

This shallow low will be moving slowly eastwards. Positioned some 200 miles further north, Alex Thomson (Hugo Boss) hopes to make the most of a small low, but before that he is going to have to cross the area of light SE’ly winds and a transition to very light northerlies with areas of calm.

At this point, it is hard to say who will come off best and get first to the huge high, which has settled ahead of Cape Horn. This could be the big turning point in the race, as another low is expected to develop this weekend on the edge of the high. But in general, the next few days look quiet for the two out in front. It is hard to plan a route to Drake Passage with a lot of uncertainty ahead."

http://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/news/1...with-the-storm

So good that I have little to add except that this has been a magnificent race, now with the main interest put not only on the Armel/Alex fight but also on the Beyou/ Meilhat race and on the eventual gains over the two first.

Regarding those two, a picture, a satellite photo, tells a story:

Those two guys are being caught by that monster and that big front (red and white boats). A good reason to sail as fast as they can.
They say about that front:

"We see perfectly on the satellite picture the center of the depression with the front which passes above Jérémie Beyou and Paul Meilhat. There are likely to be gusts of more than 60 knots under this front.
On the back part of the depression, we can see many clouds. It looks like what we have in winter time in Great Britain after the passage of a big storm. The white points are big squalls with rain, hail and gusts of wind which can reach more than 60 knots."

http://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/news/1...e-indian-ocean