Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2008, 03:09   #16

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer
I am sure that if one searched around you could find a group calling themselves "friends of the rocks" which could give you a lot of reasons for not disturbing the ecologically sensitive area like The great Barrier Reef. LOL I think the heat here is getting to me 45 deg. C here right now. Only 3 more weeks.
Old 23-06-2008, 03:16   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Quote:
area like The great Barrier Reef.
Ummm, this is Great Barrier Island which is to the east entry of Auckland NZ. Great Barrier reef is corral and is along the east coast of Oz, some 1200Km away.
Hey can you box up some of the heat and send it over here. :-)

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2008, 04:48   #18

Boat: Designing a global explorer (full keel & steel)
Single handed sailors

This incident has nothing to do with the skipper being single handed, its got to do with poor seamanship. Most single handed sailors will plot a course way offshore (I've read of some going as far as 200nm) & way outside of any commercial traffic lanes. This guy most probably would have done something stupid even if he had crew. The majority will only cat-nap during daylight hours & stay awake during night hours, nor will they enter or leave a port unless they're mentally & physically prepared to do so.

A single handed sailor is only a danger to himself, a large cruise liner/tanker/cargo vessel would either push his vessel aside or cut it in half.

As for a danger to rescue operations, well, its the rescue operations decision as to whether they go out & rescue any craft (single handed or otherwise).

As for arresting & charging, well, unless he's broken a law within their territorial waters then what would the charge be? If we're going to start quoting the UNCLOS treaties then any charges would have to be laid by the flag state (after an investigation). Also, from a pragmatic point of view, it makes no financial sense for the NZ Crown to charge someone over something so small like this.

There are plenty of stupid things also done by skippers with crew. Sheez, I've seen videos on youtube of yachts cutting off massive cruise liners because they think that power gives way to sail in every situation - which just is not true.

Finally, what would Joshua Slocum say?

Joshua Slocum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
exfishnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2008, 05:09   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by exfishnz View Post
A single handed sailor is only a danger to himself, a large cruise liner/tanker/cargo vessel would either push his vessel aside or cut it in half.
This is assuming he is not using low power systems such as:

1) radar on watchman mode with alarm
2) radar detector with alarm
3) AIS with alarm
Old 23-06-2008, 05:51   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerbye View Post
I am sure that if one searched around you could find a group calling themselves "friends of the rocks" which could give you a lot of reasons for not disturbing the ecologically sensitive area like The great Barrier Reef...
You're right, there is such a group; but “The Friends of the Rocks" seems to represent “The Rocks”, a private luxury residence & golf club in Scottsdale Arizona.
http://www.mythreedots.com/rocks_news.pdf
The Rocks. Scottsdale Arizona Private Golf Community, Luxury Golf Course Homes

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2008, 06:23   #21
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Quote:
What would you arrest him for?? Denting our shoreline?
Endangering other mariners, endangering rescuers and reckless and unlawful operation would be a good start...

Quote:
p.s. CSY Man - I'm one of those solo sailing fools. I also drive and fly alone as well. Do you recommend a straightjacket?
Hmm, guess I have to spell it out, feeling dense today are we?
Nothing wrong with sailing solo as long as you keep a constant lookout as required by the Rules. Same with driving and flying.. (Sorry I had to explain it) Going to sleep while underway in a car, an airplane and boat sure qualifies for a straight jacket if you are solo.

Quote:
Any sailor is required to keep a proper lookout, not only to avoid collision with a larger ship, or to run down a smaller boat, but also to keep a lookout so as to see distress signals from other vessels.
Basic seamanship and no excuse to ignore the rules just because a skipper with multiple crewmembers does stupid things on youtube.
Old 23-06-2008, 06:58   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
Same with driving and flying
No its not. Yachts don't go at those speeds (we're talking sailing at 4-8kts (or less))

Quote:
but also to keep a lookout so as to see distress signals from other vessels.
Ummm, outside normal routes here, whom am I going to come across? OK, its maybe remotely possible that I could come across someone in visual distance to them. Remember, they also have to see me before they'll even consider firing a flare or smoke signal etc.

Quote:
Basic seamanship and no excuse to ignore the rules just because a skipper with multiple crewmembers does stupid things on youtube.
I never stated that it was an excuse, just an example, in-fact one of many. How many yachties with crew on the open ocean are really keeping a full look out 100% of the time anyway??? They're more likely to be tending their sails or having their nose in some book or maybe some "hanky panky" etc while they pass this stricken phantom yachtie with the flares.
Old 23-06-2008, 07:19   #23

Cracking up at the start of a voyage of big dimensions is not so unusual; I've seen this story many times.
Years go into the construction of the yacht; yet how much time is spent in aquiring the not inconsequential skills of singlehanding?
Very sad.
As to the risk/prosecution/danger etc of singlehanders; I'd ask those concerned to ask themselves how competant are individual crew members, (including themselves) on a boat carrying more than one.
Old geezers, inexperienced offshore hands and some wives are often surprised at their lack of stamina and knowledge when they unexpectedly run into a gale or emergency far from assistance when an experienced singlehander does not blink an eye.
Hate to see this guy's dream crushed so soon, as he would most likely have learned enough in the next few months to see him through a lifetime at sea.
little boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2008, 08:38   #24

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
littleboat,

The guy was 66 - I don't think a "lifetime at sea" was in the offing. BTW, the article described him as an "experienced yachtsman".
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2008, 08:57   #25

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Quote:
Originally Posted by exfishnz View Post

Unless the large ship has to make emergency manoeuvres - in a cruise ship that could result in hundreds of injuries, not to mention damage to equipment/furnishings/machinery.

Quote:
As for a danger to rescue operations, well, its the rescue operations decision as to whether they go out & rescue any craft (single handed or otherwise).
UNCLOS compels mariners and coast guards to assist, unless the risk is severe. Rescue operations by their nature are hazardous, and rescuers often pay the ultimate price, so don't kid yourself.

Quote:
As for arresting & charging, well, unless he's broken a law within their territorial waters then what would the charge be?

Well I understand your fishy background gives you a certain non-compliant perspective on the 'lookout' rule but I would think that NZ has a shipping act that requires mariners to keep a lookout nonetheless. Perhaps you or one of your fellow Kiwis can confirm that?

Quote:
Finally, what would Joshua Slocum say?
Slocum pre-dated UNCLOS, the rule of the road, COSPAS and EPIRBs. In his day it was a foregone conclusion that a large proportion of mariners would be claimed by the sea. Things have changed, just as it has with driving and flying - there are more and more regulations created to keep us safe from ourselves. Of course it helps if we follow the regulations, and I agree with you, that it helps if we follow common-sense.

JMO,

Kevin
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2008, 09:20   #26

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River & Marshal Catboat
Dreamers some times get rude awakenings like rocks. And a few go on unscathed to receive there 15 minuets of glory
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2008, 09:23   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
littleboat,

BTW, the article described him as an "experienced yachtsman".
The article also has this quote from the skip:
"I heard this bang, bang, and I looked out and there's the island right in front of me," says Whipple.
Islands don't pop up as a surprise to 'experienced yachtsmen'.
little boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2008, 09:34   #28
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Nit Picking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
.UNCLOS compels mariners and coast guards to assist, unless the risk is severe. Rescue operations by their nature are hazardous, and rescuers often pay the ultimate price, so don't kid yourself.
Yes, rescue operations are hazardous but not necessarily dangerous. Because they are hazardous, they train well so as not to be dangerous. There usually is a requirement that they don't place themselves at unnecessary risk and aren't compelled to do so (as you point out - severe risk). I don't think recuers OFTEN pay the ultimate price (but VERY occasionally they do).
They are still heros however. IMO.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2008, 09:45   #29

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer
Quote:
Islands don't pop up as a surprise to 'experienced yachtsmen'
You have never had a sneaky island pop up in front of you? Funny neither have I. The odd whale or walrus maybe. Hey you guys easy on the old geezer comments. You will all get there some day. I have seen many including myself that can put a lot of young whipper snappers to shame. LOL
Old 23-06-2008, 11:52   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerbye View Post
You have never had a sneaky island pop up in front of you? Funny neither have I...
Me neither.
We should have been sailing near Iceland, in November of 1963; when the island of Surtsey may have suddenly "popped up" in front of us.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote