Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2008, 06:26   #136

Boat: Designing a global explorer (full keel & steel)
Quote:
Originally Posted by exfishnz View Post
Fatigue can also happen with multiple crew.
If the bloke also had 1 or 2 newb's that knew squat about chart work (incl night time navigation), then the same incident could be possible (unless the grounding area was marked with night time navigational aids).
exfishnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2008, 18:39   #137
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidLandOne View Post
It is actually Beacon Hill so I reckon that becomes "Beckon Hill" if one is from Seedknee in Oz .

John
OK, now I understand; so it really known as "Beacon Hell eh" in the land of Fush and Chups
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2008, 19:04   #138

Boat: Designing a global explorer (full keel & steel)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
OK, now I understand; so it really known as "Beacon Hell eh" in the land of Fush and Chups
Don't forget the number “sex” (i.e. six)

MidLandOne's right, I spelt it how I would now pronounce it (even though I've also called the same station several times)

Oh, on the “fush & chup's”, the Kiwi's are really spoilt on this. I've gotta really hunt for the good stuff around here – plus it costs a damn packet, & to think that I use to get this stuff for free
exfishnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2008, 19:25   #139

I'll be over visiting Oz from Fush 'n Chup land in a few weeks, shall I bring you some?

Some time back I was over in Australia doing an assignment with a lot of number crunching and a young Oz woman was assigned to help me. I used to love it when she was reading the numbers back when we were doing checks - Two. Seven. Sex? Was never sure if there was supposed to be a question mark after the last one or not . I imagined so .
MidLandOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2008, 20:03   #140
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Yup, couldn't work out how to work "six & sex" meaningly into the post but I see the masters of the idiom have done it.
Opps - thread drift alert.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2008, 21:58   #141
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
"Resolution had a great characteristic. Once the sails were balanced on a course, you could lash the tiller at the point where the weather helm started to pull, put a shock-cord spring from the tiller to a cleat on the opposite coaming, and Resolution would steer herself as long as the wind stayed constant. In fact, on the way out, course set at twenty degrees, Resolution sailed for more than thirty-six hours without me ever touching the helm."

OK - Does this mean no autopilot or windvane steering at all?

Later in the story he talks about the bungee cord or something being broken. Is that from the collision? I could not imagine leaving my steering in the hands of a bungee cord hooked to a cleat.

He also clearly states he took a fix with the GPS before going below.

I am OK with single handing as I have said before but I also think you have to have all the technological help you can get.

He had been at sea a few days in rough weather dealing with a fueld leak/diesel spill. I cannot believe he was well rested.

The part about not being able to sail the course he wanted becuase she would just settle on a course she liked sounds like a cop out to me.

Once again I am very sorry for his loss.

Single handing is not easy.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 01:31   #142

Boat: Trismus 37
I can't reconcile the fact that when his fuel tank started leaking he was 100 miles west of North Cape as stated in the info from the designer. If you are sailing to Hawaii you sail east for hundreds of miles before curving to port and sailing north up through the cooks or even as far as the society islands. Then there was the return to Tauranga when he could have stopped and re-entered NZ at the Bay of Islands or Whangarei to at least clean the boat up and effect repairs there. I Don't follow the logic or lack thereof.
Steve Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 09:25   #143
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
If Resolution sailed that well with a bungee cord? What the heck happened to old reliable hove to for rest, and work? Sounds like some bad decisions were made?
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 16:32   #144

Boat: Trismus 37
I can sail single handed with the bungy cord system on the tiller and as long as the wind remains constant the boat will stick to the course better than I can steering by hand, it is easy to balance the boat using the centre boards and sails. It will sail at a lesser angle to the wind without the tiller being tied but there isn't room in the cockpit for the tiller and me as it does swing over a considerable area. BUT let the wind pick up or drop off, the boat will fall off or head up according to the strength of the change, if it is a small amount you may not notice the change, if it is a larger amount you will soon be aware as the boat will heel more or the sails will flap. Neither of these methods are considered safe except in the short term, ie. writing up the log, chart work, getting a snack. Well offshore we will use it for longer periods but we always keep a watch system going.
Steve Pope is offline   Reply With Quote