Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2015, 10:06   #16

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Re: US Boats Advised To Avoid Venezuela

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Has the GOP written an open letter to Venezuela yet?
LMAO
Old 16-03-2015, 11:28   #17

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
No, David,
They'll talk it over with Obama the next time they have lunch. Viva La Raza!
Old 16-03-2015, 11:38   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by barboak View Post
If I was in Grenada now and headed for the ABC's I would want recent info from boats who made that trip. Also would check out Noonsite and others that have current conditions, if you have current information to share instead of what you heard from somewhere that would be helpful. It is obvious a tricky and fluid situation there but we should try to stick to valid info and not rumors.
According to Noonsite it is advisable to use the agent in the Roques to help clearing in! Last time we were in the Aves the process was easy also but once again get Current and Real info and not rumors from folks sitting in front of their computers!
What he is telling you is not rumors...They are arresting anyone and everyone for anything and everything ..Do some basic research and you will see that the place is a very dry powder keg...Not just Venezuela other country's in the region should be scrutinized at the moment..Very large demonstrations/ march's in Brazil yesterday and Argentina whoa its crazy!
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2015, 20:06   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
What he is telling you is not rumors...They are arresting anyone and everyone for anything and everything ..Do some basic research and you will see that the place is a very dry powder keg...Not just Venezuela other country's in the region should be scrutinized at the moment..Very large demonstrations/ march's in Brazil yesterday and Argentina whoa its crazy!
Absolutely spot on. Thank you. No on site is not the best place for the latest information. Neither is a sailor floating out there who wouldn't know if world war three gad broken out.

Read today's newspapers not yesterday's. Check the daily briefing updates by the US State Department. And then proceed or don't, with caution if you are sailing anywhere an the east coast of SA.

By the way I've 1 million were in the streets demonstrating against the Government in Brazil on the weekend. Yes it is becoming more unstable as each day passes.
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2015, 07:00   #20
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going Walkabout View Post
Absolutely spot on. Thank you. No on site is not the best place for the latest information. Neither is a sailor floating out there who wouldn't know if world war three gad broken out.

Read today's newspapers not yesterday's. Check the daily briefing updates by the US State Department. And then proceed or don't, with caution if you are sailing anywhere an the east coast of SA.

By the way I've 1 million were in the streets demonstrating against the Government in Brazil on the weekend. Yes it is becoming more unstable as each day passes.
I heard it was more like "Millions"in the streets..The 12 countrys in the ,(my name for it )Leauge of S.American Nations all have thrown their support behind Maduro over the declaration of Venezuela being a threat to the security of the USA..They all have condemned President Obama for doing so..If Maduro keeps heading in the same old direction he may well smell "Sulfur" ..
Old 17-03-2015, 09:03   #21

Quote:
I heard it was more like "Millions"in the streets..The 12 countrys in the ,(my name for it )Leauge of S.American Nations all have thrown their support behind Maduro over the declaration of Venezuela being a threat to the security of the USA..They all have condemned President Obama for doing so..If Maduro keeps heading in the same old direction he may well smell "Sulfur" ..
I don't think you will see a USA military incursion into SA just yet. And definitely beyond this current US administration. But what you are seeing is a move away from democracy towards the tried and proven dictatorships that have caused economic ruin throughout the region. Add to this fermenting mess of economic misery the influence peddling in the region by the sworn enemy of the United States, Iran and you have a serious problem that isn't going away any time soon.

So what does a deteriation of the social and economic environment of much of South America mean for boaters? An increase in economic desperation will increase attacks on the water and land by banditos. Increased risk of state directed sanctions and outright hostility by in particular anti US Government's against US flagged boats and a general deteriation of safety for all sailors. This is not a political statement but a sober forward looking risk assessment. Please be careful out there.
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2015, 09:18   #22
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: US Boats Advised To Avoid Venezuela

Yeah.. Brazils getting as unstable as the UK was when 1 million plus marched in London to try and stop Blair taking us into someone elses dung heap...
Meanwhile in Portugal where many Brazilians live.. and Portuguese who have family who moved there.. are pretty chill..
They recognise it for what it is.. legitimate political protest.. used to happen in the States but citizens got sick of being clubbed

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2015, 10:07   #23
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Yeah.. Brazils getting as unstable as the UK was when 1 million plus marched in London to try and stop Blair taking us into someone elses dung heap...
Meanwhile in Portugal where many Brazilians live.. and Portuguese who have family who moved there.. are pretty chill..
They recognise it for what it is.. legitimate political protest.. used to happen in the States but citizens got sick of being clubbed
It takes fertilizer to make a good crop(dung heap),I believe the TPP will be just the thing to make a new crop grow...When it all turns around soon what will there be said at that moment?..Its easy for the stuff(words) to come out,hard to put them back in..
Old 17-03-2015, 11:29   #24
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
It takes fertilizer to make a good crop(dung heap),I believe the TPP will be just the thing to make a new crop grow...When it all turns around soon what will there be said at that moment?..Its easy for the stuff(words) to come out,hard to put them back in..
LOL... Looks like the last coupla fields you all plowed and crapped over is another failed harvest then..
Not that funny for so many poor sods...

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 17-03-2015, 13:03   #25
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
I remember being surrounded by a million angry mums in Washington DC protesting against all kinds of things. Very unstable there too.
Such nonsense: demonstrating is a right; it becomes unstable when governments revoke that right, not when one political party goes down to be replaced by another one.

Don't flip from one extreme into another, avoid Venezuela but pretty much everywhere else in South America you're as safe as anywhere.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2015, 13:04   #26
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
LOL... Looks like the last coupla fields you all plowed and crapped over is another failed harvest then..
Not that funny for so many poor sods...
Its like others have pointed out ,most in power in SA governments were elected by the people,so i guess you could say that they got what they asked for ...It was said that Chavis was disappointed early on with the US government for not wanting to support his gov when he came into power.. Duh or should i say GWuhb!! Where would those last couple of fields be at ?
Old 17-03-2015, 13:14   #27
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
GWuhb!! Where would those last couple of fields be at ?
^^^.. he knows...

Old 17-03-2015, 13:20   #28
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
^^^.. he knows...
But the cowboy anit talking..
Old 17-03-2015, 13:36   #29
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Still working on the one to Cuba! Ain't no multi-tasking allowed.
Old 17-03-2015, 16:22   #30

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
I don't think you will see a USA military incursion into SA just yet. And definitely beyond this current US administration. But what you are seeing is a move away from democracy towards the tried and proven dictatorships that have caused economic ruin throughout the region. Add to this fermenting mess of economic misery the influence peddling in the region by the sworn enemy of the United States, Iran and you have a serious problem that isn't going away any time soon.

So what does a deteriation of the social and economic environment of much of South America mean for boaters? An increase in economic desperation will increase attacks on the water and land by banditos. Increased risk of state directed sanctions and outright hostility by in particular anti US Government's against US flagged boats and a general deteriation of safety for all sailors. This is not a political statement but a sober forward looking risk assessment. Please be careful out there.
Well said, Walkabout! This is exactly what my friends who have lived in Sao Paulo and Buenos Aires for over 20 years say about Brazil/Argentina.
Viva La Raza! Muerte as las Capitalistas!

Tags
Venezuela