Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 29-03-2011, 17:43   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20man
Sketchy info.. but in San Diego, by Shelter Island there was a capsize with loss of life...

Sad... I am sure we shall know more in the future..

2 Dead, 7 Hurt in Sailboat Accident | NBC San Diego

San Diego union report with 'capsized'

The victims were aboard a 35-foot sailboat when it capsized shortly after 5 p.m., San Diego Fire-Rescue Department spokesman Maurice Luque said. All were thrown into the water.
Take a look at the NBC story link. You will see that it was a 25 foot boat with 10, yes TEN people in the cockpit. Someone spotted the vessel earlier in the day severly overloaded and snapped a picture of it. Damn foolish to have that many people on that size vessel.

Old 29-03-2011, 17:48   #107

Boat: grampian 26
Re: 2 Dead, 7 Hurt in SD Sailboat Accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny chaos View Post
Any of you experts notice the angle of the motor in this shot?
No but I did notice he is wearing his captains hat so all those people on board are in good hands.

Old 29-03-2011, 18:09   #108
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

would be a good advert for evinrude outboards,betcha the motor was still running when they did the darwin award thing......
Old 29-03-2011, 19:27   #109
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny chaos View Post
Any of you experts notice the angle of the motor in this shot?

The shaft is vertical, but the cover on those models have a diagonal bottom seal.
It looks ok to me, unlike almost everything else about that boat.
Old 29-03-2011, 19:42   #110
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
The shaft is vertical, but the cover on those models have a diagonal bottom seal.
It looks ok to me, unlike almost everything else about that boat.
I had the same thought... seems like a strange point to bring up... the motor looks normal to me also.
Old 29-03-2011, 19:50   #111
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
darwin awards comes to mind..............
nope. the guys, who sadly died, were too old.. already had contributed to the gene pool....

And the motor mount is offset to the port side, maybe that is making it look wonky?

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2011, 20:02   #112

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by perchance View Post
No but I did notice he is wearing his captains hat so all those people on board are in good hands.
Me too! And your reminder reinforces my prejudices against people wearing those particular hats.
Old 29-03-2011, 20:10   #113
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: research vessel

Put 10 people on one side of a 26 foot sailboat with a swing keel and it just might capsize, especially if it has any water in it.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2011, 18:36   #114

Boat: Cape Dory 28

I do not know if other updates have been posted,but here is what I have learned. The Huffington Post reports that the builder of the 26' Macgregor , believes the boat was grossly overloaded by the 10 people aboard although it has been reported that the centerboard was down and the water ballast was properly filled.Given that,the 10 people aboard(none wearing life vests) outweighed the boats ballast.The boat was also reported as flying only the jib at the time of the capsize.
The boat was operated by a charity group"The Heart of Sailing" whos founder was piloting the boat.
Old 02-04-2011, 18:37   #115

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

I really think that the captain's hat was the main problem.
The boat, an inherently unstable design, was grossly overloaded and (I'm guessing) nobody had any boating experience except the guy with the captain's hat. Because of the hat they all trusted that he knew what he was doing. Clearly he made a really bad call loading 10 people on a boat like that. He's had a very good idea and warmed a lot of hearts and done a lot of good but I am quite sure that his experience doesn't match his enthusiasm.
He got his head all full of big dreams and overloaded a small boat and it's sad that people had to die.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:12   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkleins View Post
But the link on the first post was to a mainstream media site (NBC San Diego). Had you been on that site instead of here you would have had the news even earlier.

Jim
A good point Jim but, I doubt I would have been on the local NBC site. I probably would have heard it on my VHF because I most likely would have been on my boat had I been in San Diego. So I would have known about it even faster. It just struck me that it took a lot more time for the story to reach New York than checking in here at the Cruisers Forum. The Internet is changing a lot of things including how people get the news. I suspect that we saw the photos Rebel Heart posted of the overloaded boat involved in this tragedy before even the local media in San Diego got them. Another example I happened to be docked just up the river from the World Trade Center on September 11, 2001 the impact from the first plane made my boat shudder. I picked up my cell phone called it in to the back deck of one of the morning Network news shows. They did not believe me at first until the other phones started ringing off the hook. My point is that sites like CF are a new and faster way of getting news. Especially news of interest to sailors. Because each of us can be sailor/journalist just by keeping our eyes and ears open. We cover the waterfronts and harbors all over the world. I find that pretty impressive.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:21   #117
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
... sites like CF are a new and faster way of getting news. Especially news of interest to sailors. Because each of us can be sailor/journalist just by keeping our eyes and ears open. We cover the waterfronts and harbors all over the world. I find that pretty impressive.
I also, Mike. ✓

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:51   #118

Boat: grampian 26

There was a similar incident a few years ago in upstate NY I believe where there was a capsize of a MacGregor in calm conditions. It involved a family watching a fireworks display from their boat. There was loss of life in this incident as well. All seeing GordMay might be familiar with this story.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:21   #119
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by perchance View Post
There was a similar incident a few years ago in upstate NY I believe where there was a capsize of a MacGregor in calm conditions. It involved a family watching a fireworks display from their boat. There was loss of life in this incident as well. All seeing GordMay might be familiar with this story.
8 adults, 3 children, operator claims to not know if ballast tank was full or not:
http://www.ne-ts.com/ar/ar-407capsize.html

There was another one in the Pacific NorthWest, can't find the article now, but same story, overloaded, tanks empty.

The Macgregor is probably not a boat I'd buy as that isn't the type of sailing I'm interested in, but I don't believe that it deserves the criticism that some lade on it. There's something like 36,000 of these out there. If this were a dangerous boat there would be a lot more disaster stories. All the stories I'm aware of involve overloading or empty ballast tanks. I saw a comment, "inherently unstable". Well that's false with the ballast in. If you operate the boat without the ballast or overloaded then I would classify that is in the same category as any other boating story where you would say operator error. Not the best sailing boat as it is a compromise boat, but what boat isn't.

Macgregor is the boat that people love to bash, unjustly in my opinion.

John
Old 04-04-2011, 15:24   #120

Boat: Bruckmann 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
A good point Jim but, I doubt I would have been on the local NBC site. I probably would have heard it on my VHF because I most likely would have been on my boat had I been in San Diego. So I would have known about it even faster. It just struck me that it took a lot more time for the story to reach New York than checking in here at the Cruisers Forum. The Internet is changing a lot of things including how people get the news. I suspect that we saw the photos Rebel Heart posted of the overloaded boat involved in this tragedy before even the local media in San Diego got them. Another example I happened to be docked just up the river from the World Trade Center on September 11, 2001 the impact from the first plane made my boat shudder. I picked up my cell phone called it in to the back deck of one of the morning Network news shows. They did not believe me at first until the other phones started ringing off the hook. My point is that sites like CF are a new and faster way of getting news. Especially news of interest to sailors. Because each of us can be sailor/journalist just by keeping our eyes and ears open. We cover the waterfronts and harbors all over the world. I find that pretty impressive.
I was responding to what I read as you implying that this was somehow better then the "mainstream" media. The mainstream media gets a lot of flack and blame and much of it deservingly so, but unfortunately while places that gather people together, like CF, can disseminate news faster then places that don't they wouldn't have anything to disseminate if there weren't places like NBC San Diego to actually report it.

I understand what you meant and agree completely with the premise (since I don't even have a TV the internet is the only place I get my news.) I guess I am just a little sensitive to this topic as I am seeing fewer and fewer actual sources for information and more sites to repeat and link to the same few articles. Convenient, maybe, but is it the best way to find out what really is going on in the world? The jury is still out on that for me.

Jim

Tags
accident, sailboat, san diego

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: