Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2010, 04:42   #1
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Tony Bullimore's 33m Catamaran Capsizes

Quote:
Tony Bullimore's 33m catamaran capsizes off Cape Finistere. Update:

Ben Jones (29): 'There wasn’t that much wind-only about 15knots. We were sailing fast and close to the wind. We then had a big gust and because it’s a multi hull, the apparent wind induces a much worse affect. So the boat powered up a lot very quickly. At the same time the windward hull came off a wave, which got the hull lifting out. The rudder stalled. We couldn’t get the sheet off quickly enough so we couldn’t depower the boat.'
Sail-World.com : Bullimore's 33m catamaran capsized - Update
(At least I give sailworld a link unlike them not giving me a link when they stole an article off my site...)

Anyway, 15 knots is a bit lame... We had this discussion a few weeks ago about a flip in the Pacific.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:24   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Well.... I'm tempted to comment on sailing skills and poor seamanship... several things baffle me such as how it flipped.. the wind does not sound stong enough to do it alone as there's nothing but netting for the wind to get under for tip assist...
another thing I found with my two Tiki's (also more netting than deck) is that when sailing fast into the wind a sudden gust would rapidly decelerate the boat after the initial surge as boat speed overtook apparant wind and the Genoa/Jib would start luffing... this was at speeds of 11+ knots in a 21ftr and 14+ in the 26.
Neither carried much in the way of water or fuel or food just enough for the day... I often felt that it would need a lot of hard work to flip them... doing everything wrong and then some...
Interesting about not being able to get the sheets off in time though... inattention... bad prectices...??
Mind... old Bullimore does love his drama's... still remember the documentry he did with Lenny Henry UK-WI in a tri....
Not a man I'd like to sail with for sure...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:57   #3
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Not a man I'd like to sail with for sure...
But I get the impression that a few beers ashore and swapping a few stories with might be fun

(apart from the risk of capzising barstools )
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 13:13   #4
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
It's a Hobie on steroids, what does one expect?..........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2010, 09:07   #5

Mark, these boats are racing, they're going to get in trouble, just as the ATN guy did. Route du Rhum 2010

Mostly this doesn't apply to the cruising cats unless they start powering up.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2010, 12:24   #6

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Well, Mark, if there was 15 knots true his boat speed might well have been over 20 kts, and the apparent wind well over 30. Then you add a gust... ("40% stronger than the averages given here") and start the boat rounding up when the rudder stalled... his apparent wind could well have been approaching 50 kts. Not so surprising then, eh?

He does seem to attract "interesting times", though!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 18-11-2010, 13:07   #7

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
I had the opportunity to crawl all over Bullimore's Cat (I assume it was the same one) when it was in Hobart prior to his previous (aborted) attempt at the solo RTW record. I have to say, it was not a craft that I would have chosen to go to sea in... so much so, in fact that I declined an offer of a sail into Storm Bay and back, especially since I ws aware that they had, a few days before, dropped the carbon fibre mast some distance onto a concrete wharf (the lifting strop broke) and put it back in the boat without, as far as I know, anything more than a cursory visual inspection. Ho hum.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote