Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Emergency, Disaster and Distress
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2016, 17:25   #1
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Tips for Weathering a Storm in a Marina

I came across this warning today of a Tropical Storm (Hermine) that is anticipated to hit Florida soon and expected it may reach Hurricane force winds before making landfall.

The key points is the anticipation of not only high winds, but also heavy rainfall of up to 10 inches of rain, which can cause widespread flooding, possibly all the way up to the Carolinas and along the Eastern Seaboard.

Why is that an issue?
Because it could sink some boats, according to the BoatUS article.

"It Doesn’t Take a Hurricane to Sink a Boat

BoatUS: Tips for Preparing for Tropical Depression Nine

As Tropical Depression Nine begins its abrupt change in course that will steer the storm ashore late Thursday, boaters in the Big Bend region of Florida may be thinking they dodged the bullet. However, Boat Owners Association of The United States (BoatUS) says TD Nine, expected to grow into tropical storm status today, will bring heavy rains across much of the state. The National Hurricane Center forecasts up to 10 inches for the Cross City, Florida, area, and up to five inches is expected to fall as far north as Savannah, Georgia – more than enough to sink a boat that is not prepared for the torrential downpour.

BoatUS Seaworthy Magazine Editor Charles Fort says, “Boat cockpit deck drains are often woefully inadequate and a deluge can fill the cockpit and sink the boat. If the cockpit is not watertight, a bilge pump and battery’s ability to handle rain accumulation won’t last long. Deck drains and pump discharges located near the waterline can also backflow when waves and rain put drains underwater.”

For boats kept in the water, Fort recommends a good fitting cover, or at least ensuring rain can easily drain off the boat, including clearing any deck scuppers or drains of leaves. Batteries should be charged and the boat made as watertight as possible. Removing windage such as sails, bimini tops and deck furniture is also a good idea as winds are forecasted to increase."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	390
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	130372  
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 10:26   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Tips for Weathering a Storm in a Marina

I have started a thread about Hurricane Preparation Videos that contains links to a Youtube video playlist with 40 videos related to preparing for a hurricane or tropical storm and what conditions may be expected.

Here is a link to that thread which contains a few comments and suggested videos I found particularly instructive on the issue of preparation:

Hurricane & Tropical Storm Preparation Videos Tips - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
Old 06-10-2016, 16:23   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam

Super Typhoon Yolanda hit close to me in the Philippines and I prepared as follows:

Led all chain forward and created 4 chain attachments. 2 each side. Used 4 lines directly forward. Then used longer sheets far to port and far to starboard.
This created 5 anchoring points forward all of them concrete on shore. Total 4 chains, and 6 lines. All lines loose with some play.

Next from stern led 3 rode lines to port and 3 to starboard. These were longer reaches. Again some play for expected surge.

All told we were attached to shore in 9 places. The vessel had play of about 2 meters in any directions and 3 meters vertical above high tide.
All lines had chaff protection.

All pilot house windows open.

Solar panels tied down tightly.

Wind generator blades off.

All sails off the boom and line.

Trampolines off

Dingy tied down

Kayaks tied down

Total prepared time three days and three crew members.

Total time to put everything back together about four days.

Trees were uprooted in front and behind vessel. We weathered the storm in a school. The eye was about 40 miles to the North where entire shopping malls came down. Vessel damage none.

Note: In a big Marina I would try and get to the main pilings with long lines, and drop two anchors behind the vessel.
pbmaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 17:13   #4

Boat: Santana2023

I've learned it's not my boat that worries me the most, it's other people's board in the slips around me. Most live in north jersey or New York and knee their boats here at the Jersey Shore. The guy next to me has gone through 3 docklines this year because he doesn't adjust them right and they pop. So, we're talking about some people who live 2 hours away that can't always make the trip to secure their boats properly. The marina staff makes their rounds to check everything but you can't rely solely on them to prep every boat. We came close this time last year when a boat across the slipway broke free and luckily ended up parallel to the pilings and not hitting my neighbor straight on.
DivingOtter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 15:03   #5
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Bump for Hurricane Season

I hope the videos and content help others avoid loss.
Old 11-08-2017, 15:16   #6
cruiser

Boat: 1989 Jeanneau Voyage 11.20

Thanks for posting the videos, Steady Hand. Our entire marina was destroyed during TS Hermine. 4 boats sank. The combo of wind and wave direction made it worse than Hurricane Matthew that hit a bit later. If my husband hadn't moved our boat in a few slips, our boat would be gone. Not to say that it was all outer slip boats that sank. One was in more towards shore, but the cleat broke on the finger. It was really sad.
CaptsWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 15:11   #7
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

ha ha ha ha ha
it is the season. tropical storms happen in tropics. fla aint tropics so you have rare episodes with em. here tropics means 19-21 named events each cane season, may 15 thru nov 30. even first week december.
each one is different.
they have names which gives em personality. at minimum character.
this fun was jova. jova is a bad name for mexico, this one had a secondary body / cell for mazatlan. i have sat storms out in marinas close to intensifying storms and endured lovely patricia first hand with eyeball and finish over isla navidad.
jova intensified before heading out to sea. was interesting and made bubba daboatkat remember patty baby and skeerededness.
when you face these as a normal part of summer, you prep differently than occasional and sporadic experience allows.
each storm is different . each storm requires different prep. basic prep is well known.
\jova caused a broken dock here in marina mazatlan. just a lil tropical storm.
verrrry interesting.....does not allow for increased confidence in the event of a hurricane.

btw--a good fitting cover doesnot keep much rain out during a tropical storm or gods forbid a 'cane. it will rain as much inside as outside if your boat is a leaker. if it isnot and you donot cover it, it will be one.

make sure your chosen slip has 3 or 4 pilings. mine only has 2. oopsy. barra i had 3. 2 at bow and 1 astern. here i have 2 at bow.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2017, 16:32   #8
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"Bump for Hurricane Season"
Why? There's nothing new except Sharknadoes to worry about. And the folks who don't know how to deal with those, really shouldn't be bothered about it.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 17:03   #9
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Some threads with tips and suggestions for storm preparation.

Hurricane and Tropical Storm Preparation Videos (40+)
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ps-173800.html

Tips for Weathering a Storm in a Marina
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...na-171970.html

Tandem Anchoring Advice
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ng-171977.html
Old 06-09-2017, 15:41   #10

Boat: Mauritius 43 Sloop

Stern Anchoring

This might also be helpful for people with more modern boats, it even works on our long-keeled ketch! Caveat: never tried it in more than 25 knots, but others seem to think this could work in storm conditions

You need substantial bits aft. We use the U-bolts for our drogue.
atmartin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weather