Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2008, 07:22   #1
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

This guy is a real winner

News from Maine:

keepMEcurrent.com - Community News - Current Publishing, LLC
Casco Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2008, 07:58   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy
I know...

I know this case well and this guy is a scumbag to the nth degree.

We do however need to wonder if the accident would have actually occurred had the victims been operating their boat in line with the COLREGS and had been using running lights. I personally don't see this case as one sided as many do and find that both parties are to blame somewhat..

One of my best friends fathers was killed in a similar accident in NH. Same thing, fast boat, drunk driver the only difference is that Kim's father actually had the running lights on. This was proven through forensic bulb filament examination and the guy got more time than did this guy..

Running lights should ALWAYS be used especially around drunk boaters and boaters should never be at the helm drunk!
Old 13-11-2008, 08:26   #3

Boat: Defever 41 "Bear Holiday"
Send a message via Skype™ to hanschristian38
Yes but -
During testimony it was stated that they had seen the boat go past without their lights on - so they knew the other boat was out there somewhere and still went 45 mph drunk on a small lake - Don't defend this guy in any way. He was wrong and blaming the victims is inappropriate.
hanschristian38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2008, 09:02   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
It's one thing killing a couple people while driving drunk...its another thing to feel no remorse? Whew!

Is that all the jail time you get for second degree murder caused by drunk driving? Something is not right here.

Reading stuff like this makes my blood boil that many people still do not take drunk driving a boat as seriously as drunk driving a car. The designated skipper should never drink. That's my opinion. Besides, there should always be at least one totally sober person on board capable of taking command of the boat in case of an emergency.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2008, 10:18   #5

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
My next door neighbor's 7 year old child was killed by a drunk driver while playing on the sidewalk in front of her home. The driver, who fled the accident, either because of extreme stupidity or in an attempt to hide his condition while driving or probably both, received a 6 month sentence.

This is but one example of how variable justice becomes and the case law demonstrates far less harsh punishments when it comes to boating fatalities.

There is no such thing as consistent punishment in these circumstances and making rash, usually uninformed judgments in any specific case is jaw-dropping.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2008, 10:37   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Amanda Faye 61' Custom Irwin aftcockpit ketch
We are going through the same thing. Although the driver that caused the accident was not drinking, dealing with the prossicution is not easy for us. Amanda Faye was our world.......and it has nearly ended our lives.
Old 13-11-2008, 11:45   #7

Boat: 32' CC Oday
"Anderson said LaPointe's thrill-seeking and reckless behavior was evidenced by 23 speeding convictions, five convictions for failure to stop at a light or stop sign, 12 license suspensions, including two for being a habitual offender and nine other motor vehicle offenses, all in Massachusetts. "

23 speeding convictions!? 12 license suspensions?! 2 times an habitual offender!? This is sad. The guy should have been locked up years ago.

In view of all his convictions, I have to wonder how many auto related offenses he got away with.

Bernard Moitessier
BassAckwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2008, 11:54   #8

Boat: 32' CC Oday
Quote:
Originally Posted by irwinsailor View Post
We are going through the same thing. Although the driver that caused the accident was not drinking, dealing with the prossicution is not easy for us. Amanda Faye was our world.......and it has nearly ended our lives.
I wish I knew the words to comfort you friend. I know nothing can help your pain. But just know that I wished I could.

Bernard Moitessier
BassAckwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2008, 12:32   #9
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassAckwards View Post
"Anderson said LaPointe's thrill-seeking and reckless behavior was evidenced by 23 speeding convictions, five convictions for failure to stop at a light or stop sign, 12 license suspensions, including two for being a habitual offender and nine other motor vehicle offenses, all in Massachusetts. "

23 speeding convictions!? 12 license suspensions?! 2 times an habitual offender!? This is sad. The guy should have been locked up years ago.

In view of all his convictions, I have to wonder how many auto related offenses he got away with.
Or what his insurance premiums must be like. How does that guy even get insurance with a record like that? Now, toss in a DUI conviction..... the guy shouldnt even have the ability to own / operate anything. Last I checked, a license was a privledge not a right.
97octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2008, 14:13   #10

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassAckwards View Post
I wish I knew the words to comfort you friend. I know nothing can help your pain. But just know that I wished I could.

Ditto..

Here is something I wrote for another family loosing one of there Daughters to cancer...Please insert your daughters Name also...That is my daughter in the picture ...I cant imagine the pain.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	One more Sail.JPG
Views:	270
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	5838  
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote