Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2009, 19:48   #1

Boat: Beneteau First 42
The Wreck of JoJo...

From the pages of Latitude 38:

The above is at Stillwater Cove in Carmel, Ca, just around the Penninsula from Monteray, an event that took place with a USCG Boat standing-by, looking on, while the yacht foundered without offering either aid or assistance. The entire story is posted at Latitude 38 - The West's Premier Sailing & Marine Magazine . I encourage all you folks on the West Coast of the US to send a strongly worded letter/email to the Commander of the 11th Coast Guard district about this event which, in my view, is inexcusable.

s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 19:59   #2

Boat: O'day 322 "Southern Comfort"
Wonder if they could have called Towboat or another towing service.
If i ran aground here in Galveston Bay, the CG will not pull my boat off. Seems they should have had a BoatUS or similar boat towing service called and they would have been alright.

Seems that inexperience had a hand in this. This was not a mayday situation, can get a big fine for this.

I have a curious feeling torward thier description of the story also. They say they were anchoring, but say the windlass jammed. Anchoring doesn't require the use of the windlass. If the rode or chain was loaded on the windless and it jammed, it would hold because it was jammed right? This sounds like another unfortunate story of a good boat lost do to lack of experience of the skipper. I feel more for the boat than the people that pilot her.
SouthernComfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 20:07   #3

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
After 9-11 the Coast guard is not our friendly Martyrs of the sea anymore Im afraid.. They now fall under Home Land Security which IMHO makes them just another Government agency not to count on.

A letter is on its way!

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 20:09   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
The Coasties will not tow when a vessel assist type vessel is available. The Coasties have the option of towing when there is not one available but are not obligated to do so. Yes, its very unfortunate what happened to this boat.

I think it would be unfair to label the Coasties as unprofessional or uncaring without hearing their side of the story.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 20:18   #5

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Mission Statement of the 11th Coast Guard District:

Quote:
The Coast Guard provides unique benefits to the nation because of its distinctive blend of military, humanitarian, and civilian law-enforcement capabilities. To serve the public, the Coast Guard has five fundamental roles:
Maritime Safety: Eliminate deaths, injuries, and property damage associated with maritime transportation, fishing, and recreational boating. The Coast Guard's motto is Semper Paratus—(Always Ready), and the service is always ready to respond to calls for help at sea.
The entire Mission Statement appears at USCG: Missions
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 20:22   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
We don't know the Coasties reasons unless we hear from them. All we heard was one side of a story. I'm not defending them. I'm just making the case that we there is always more than one viewpoint when there are multiple parties involved in an incident.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 20:33   #7

Boat: O'day 322 "Southern Comfort"
The Coasties may not have had the capabilities to pull her to safety. They at least showed up to rescue survivors. Heck, if a helo was dispached, the boat would have suffered the same fate. I hope these folks had full coverage insurance and that they recover their losses and move on to another boat, being alittle wiser.
SouthernComfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 21:08   #8

First in the drug wars and then the war on terror has seen the Coast Guard forced outside of it's proper mission.

Boston Harbor is a good example of the sad result. Coasties with side arms sternly inspect 30ft fiberglass sailboats boats from machine gun equipped RIBs that have little life or vessel rescue capability while LNG tanker bombs from Al Quaeda's home turf are allowed to parade through the city because of a politically connected gas terminal deal.

Write you congressman/woman and ask that the Coast Guard be allowed to return to it's 200 year maritime tradition.

(sorry if this is too political, but I want the Coast Guard of my youth back)

Carl
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 00:16   #9

Boat: Privilege 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernComfort View Post
This was not a mayday situation, .
From the UK Government site OFCOM

MAYDAYMeans that a ship, aircraft, other vehicle or person/s is in grave and imminent danger and requires immediate assistance.

It is only recently that the definition expanded to include "persons"

If you do not consider that an incident which ends with the total loss of the vessel did not justify a Mayday, then I do not know what does. To my mind the CG skipper should be prosecuted and sacked.
Old 04-12-2009, 00:59   #10
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Once apon a time the Coast Guard would tow you in, jump start your boat and save your ass... now they watch you sink and are not prepaired for a rescue at Sea-What happend to the good ol days when people helped because it was the right thing to do?
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 01:14   #11

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
I remember a story last year when a CG skipper did just that..probably going against the new policy...but they take orders just like any other branch of the Military now.
They are there to still preform the Heroic and save our buts when allowed just not allowed in all situations as they use to be I guess...another thing we can thank the terrorist for.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 02:52   #12
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
I remember a story last year when a CG skipper did just that..probably going against the new policy...but they take orders just like any other branch of the Military now.
They are there to still preform the Heroic and save our buts when allowed just not allowed in all situations as they use to be I guess...another thing we can thank the terrorist for.
I think its not so much about attacks, but about saving a buck-and it changed long before 9-11
Old 04-12-2009, 02:54   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Savage?

Is it possible that the Coast Guard considered this to be a salvage operation, and they had not the equipment, training, experience and mission directive to carry it out
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 03:20   #14

Boat: Lavranos 39 S/v Continental Drift
Quote:
Anchoring doesn't require the use of the windlass. If the rode or chain was loaded on the windless and it jammed, it would hold because it was jammed right?
I have seen a poorly designed windlass jam without enough scope out. Makes the anchor useless, fortunately, there was another anchor ready to go. Sad stories on so many levels.
bmartinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 03:39   #15
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
Is it possible that the Coast Guard considered this to be a salvage operation, and they had not the equipment, training, experience and mission directive to carry it out
Not sure, but the story said the CG "Ordered "a near by boat to take there dingy and get one of the crew off the wrecked boat because the cutter had no Rib onboard- kinda hard to beleave- this is one side of the story?????????