Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2011, 13:11   #1

Boat: 1970 23' O'day pop-top
The "QUEST"

Three Amphibious Ships Leave Camp Pendleton to Fight Piracy - San Diego 6
kenny chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2011, 13:23   #2

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Re: The "QUEST"

You've gotta wonder
Quote:
Last Update: 10:08 am

A California couple, Jean and Scott Adam, and another couple from Washington state are believed to be held hostage by Somali pirates, who seized the 58-foot sailboat Quest in the Indian Ocean last week.
Old 23-02-2011, 13:29   #3

I suppose it's (another) step in the right direction...
Just BS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2011, 13:38   #4

Boat: 1970 23' O'day pop-top

More details:

Boxer ARG, 13th MEU leave on deployment - Marine Corps News | News from Afghanistan & Iraq - Marine Corps Times
kenny chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2011, 13:46   #5
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

there have been deployed many more than merely amphib boats of late....much activity at night - whatevver they are gonna go out to do , i hope they actually are allowed to DO it and get 'er done.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2011, 13:58   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Second that Zee.

I have a suggested motto:

"What happens at sea stays at sea."
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2011, 14:08   #7

"From the halls of Montezuma, to the shores of................"

Bill Burgette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2011, 14:11   #8

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Burgette View Post
"From the halls of Montezuma, to the shores of................"
--same pirates, different water.
Old 23-02-2011, 16:38   #9

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Second that Zee.

I have a suggested motto:

"What happens at sea stays at sea."
Below is a reply to a request of a pirate story on another forum. Your comment "what happens at sea stays at sea" prompted me to copy and paste my story here. The names and places might have been changed to protect all concerned..............

Before you ask, I do have one pirate story. This is before the huge increase in pirate activity when all they wanted was the cash in the Captain's safe and all the cigarettes from our duty free they could carry. There is a very old maritime law that stipulates that every ship must carry cash in the amount to pay the entire crew at any port should the shipping company fold during a voyage. With current shipping this isn't needed any more but since it is still law, we have to do it. The crewing of a container ship is at 24 now, so cash in the safe needs to be around $300,000.00, nice little sum for the pirates. Insurance won't let us arm the ship and the pirates back then were not holding the ship and crew for a large ransom, so they would board and leave with cash and smokes, no gun fire, nobody hurt. On the SeaLand Developer I was serving as 3rd mate and the 2nd mate had the watch in dense fog, running at a fuel conserving 16 knots when he noticed a faint echo return on the radar of a small vessel on a converging and intercepting heading. He chose not to wake the old man and even stayed at his directed speed. They were indeed pirates, and were demanding a slow down for boarding. I still don't know why he didn't comply to their demands. or at least speed up, but no, holding course and speed that the Captain left in his orders. This upset the pirates and they decided to open fire on the bridge. Now he wakes the old man to tell him the ship is under attack. When he reached the bridge, he relieved the 2nd mate and was steamed when he saw all the damage to the windows on the bridge. This glass is so thick that the bullets entry was a small hole but the exit was huge pyramid shaped junks of glass. Just so you know, this container ship is quite a bit faster than the average container ship, capable of a solid 23 knots. The Captain gave engine orders for 110% and started a Williamson turn, a means of retrieving a man overboard by coming around in a big circle (somewhat of a circle) and returning to the same location. As speed built up, it wasn't long before our rate was faster than the pirate's vessel and in heavy fog they lost sight of us because we turned off all exterior lights. A little instruction on how our computer assisted radar collision avoidance system works will help you understand what the old man was up to by doing a Williamson turn. The proper usage of it lets you avoid other vessels by being able to plot their course and speed in relation to ours and then make turn or speed adjustments to avoid collision. Well, if you got the mind set of our slightly demented Captain, those same plotting capabilities can be employed to INSURE a collision and that was his intentions. Not only does a Williamson turn return your vessel to a given point it is used regularly during mandatory man over board drills. Since all ships have a chart recorder keeping a record of the ship's movements, the old man logged a man overboard drill and proceeded to destroy the pirate ship and killing all on board. I need to end this Merchant Marine tales and get back on topic but since I bucket mouthed this chapter, it will have to wait for the new final chapter on a later date.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2011, 18:33   #10

Boat: Trawler

Good on the Old Man! Wish I could have been there for the rescue effort.

Going sail'n...
Attached Images

BilgeRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 07:58   #11

Boat: Hardin 45 Voyager Alice B., Gig Harbor 10, Orca 7 1/2 sloop, 16' sea kayak

The wife came back downtrodden from her womens cruising forum last night...She had purposely ignored any reference to the Quest, or pirates in general. Seems when she was in the Seattle singles sailing club, she often sailed with the man from Seattle.All I could say was I was sorry...and that we still have a lot to see on the West of North and South America. What I didn't say was, but for how long. At least we have the N/E Pacific!
capnorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 08:40   #12

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: The "QUEST"

Send in the marines: It feels good that we're doing something but it is well to remember that only on TV does it always end happily. I'll bet there are many Quest type stories we never hear about and I'd bet we've lost many a spec operator with little or no fanfare beyond a flag to the widow. And for what?

Seems to me that US forces are stretched thin already, and the world knows we cannot afford whatever this will cost to fix. Still I'm for it for now because I read there are 710 hostages. Incredible. Let's have the marines rescue everyone we can but after that, go on back to San Diego.

The world knows this is a dangerous region. The shipping companies can afford to protect themselves. RTW voyagers: Accept the risk or don't sail these waters.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 08:49   #13

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Deckofficer,

Way to get 'er done!
If that happened every time, we wouldn't have this problem.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 09:10   #14

Boat: Ketch, Hardin 45

You know. It sometimes does take a baseball bat to kill a fly. And I hope that they swat a lot of flies.
boasun is offline   Reply With Quote