Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2011, 12:03   #16

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Re: The NY State Canal System Is Closed Indefinitely

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreKai View Post
Yeh, pity they don't see the fair amount of money that pleasure boats transiting the system leave in local economies. I have no idea how much but I'm pretty sure that during the time it takes to get from Oswego to the upper Hudson, there are several stops for gas, food, entertainment, etc.

Frankly I don't think the boats add much to the economies of the little towns on the canal. The only place I can think of where boaters spend a few bucks is in Waterford and that's only when the canal's closed and boats are waiting for the water to recede. The only benefit I see to the local economies is that it does provide employment in areas where there is little.
Old 27-09-2011, 12:39   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
... I have no idea how much but I'm pretty sure that ...
Having "no idea", what makes you so sure that transients leave anything significant, except garbage, behind?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 14:10   #18

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38

For the simple reason that most boats coming into the system at Oswego use the local service to take down the mast, before entering the system. Then they usually stop to pick up good Canadian beer at the US stores because its way cheaper than on our side. Then the few people I have met who did the transit commented on stopping at least once or twice in the middle of the route for a night ashore. Once at the Upper Hudson, they pay another local service to put the mast up again. I suspect that those leaving in the early part of the fall will be more inclined to stop and spend some time ashore, while those who are running away from winter in the later part of the season may not stop at all. But the mast down/mast up routine happens for pretty much every sailboat going via that route.
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 14:48   #19

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

The marinas at Oswego and in the Hudson (Catskill, Castleton) do quite well without doing the mast service. In fact on a busy weekend some of them do not do masts at all. As far as spending money in the canal from what I've seen, buying fuel is about it. There are a few small towns along the route and a few restaurants and bars (I found these doing deliveries when no one wanted to cook) but most of the evenings you're tied up to a lock in the middle of nowhere. I still like going through the canal after well over twenty trips. If it's not raining it's a wonderful trip, quite peaceful and very safe. But I don't think anyone going through it does much for the local economies.
Old 27-09-2011, 15:09   #20

Boat: Custom Cutter 38

No connection whatsoever to the OP, but here is my two cents.

When heading South we spent two nights at the Oswego marina, plus the mast down. Ate at the local restaurants. Bought stuff we needed for the mast cradle at the local hardware store. Went grocery shopping across the bridge. Bought stuff at the pharmacy. Did laundry at the laundromat. Bought fuel.

Spent another two nights in Fulton. Walked the town. Bought an alternator at the auto parts store (we have a VW engine on the boat, so yes, we can ). Bought more groceries (my passion, go figure since I weigh 110 lbs soaking wet) at some store a long walk away. Went to the Post Office and called overseas (my mom, his mom). Bought pizza. Beer.

Canajoharie. Pizza. Lighters. Water. Groceries.

In Waterford we spent three nights. Did laundry. Bought groceries (yes, again) at Hannaford. Went to the Irish Pub. Had wings and Smithwick. Bought a propane heater. Took a cab to the store and back to get it.

Then Catskill, two nights, mast up, fuel, groceries, pizza, beer, wine.

Same coming back North, except we spent two weeks in Oswego - on purpose- it was July and hot and we went to the city pool and ate at restaurants and bought more beer and groceries.

I hope we contributed to the local economy and we loved every minute of it.

Maybe y'all should consider doing your part to keep the NY State Canals operational, instead of whooshing by?
Old 27-09-2011, 15:27   #21
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

is such a beautiful part of NY and is so full of history---is well worth the slowing down to view and experience it. we used to sail into hudson power boat association riverside dock for lunch... was cooool and gorgeous. under rip van winkle bridge-- we swore we could see him (rip) still sleeping... past the big house on the hill--i think was a castle?? but a late childhood friend lived in the i think was a gate house or some to that. awesome gorgeous.
no i am not paid to say that even tho i have family still there in the area, and so is eleanor, 1903 built gaff rigged sloop.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 13:03   #22

Boat: Searunner 37

Any recent information on repairs? The Canal Website states it will open on May 1 but considering the damage that would seem doubtful.

Thanks, Pat
PatnKarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 14:30   #23

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Pat, The New York State Canal System last told us that the canals would be open on time in May. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 14:41   #24

Boat: Tartan 37 #6

Canal engineers say that the mild winter enabled work to continue and they plan for a May 1 opening 'weather permitting'
steamgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 15:11   #25

Boat: Searunner 37

Thank you for this information. This is good news. We'll confirm before we head to Oswego.

Fair winds,
Pat
PatnKarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 17:51   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Good point. Money for fixing this is going to be hard to find. Pardon me for not knowing this but is the canal system used at all commercially? Is there some reason it should be fixed in order to generate revenue? My understanding is that the canal is used for some power generation but otherwise is more or less a tourist deal.

Correct me if I'm wrong about this but I don't see the state coming up with money in large enough chunks to fix this mess for a bunch of yachties.
It is more than a tourist attraction. It is the safe way to make the US east coast or interior. How many boats do you suppose might be lost traveling to the Gaspesie & Newfoundland? This effects the entire Great Lakes system. It make me ill when I think of the "shovel ready" money wastes that happened along the Michigan highways alone. The spin-off to the economy for maintaining this waterway are way greater than the fees paid to transit.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote