Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2018, 04:09   #1

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40
The GGR race, discussion and news

The Golden Globe race is well underway and things are starting to get interesting. So far there have been a few retirements due to personal reasons and self steering failures.

This is going to be one of the best testing grounds for windvanes and downwind sails. I suspect the winner will be the one who manages to keep the boat together, and figure out how to drive a boat fast under windvane downwind and in marginal light airs.

It will also be facinating to see how they cope with some pretty serious southern ocean conditions without weather routing, grib files and the speed to outrun a system.

News, discussion, anaysis, gossip all welcome, but please be respectful to those taking part in the GGR and the race committee making it happen, an awful lot of hard work, time and money has gone just getting to the start line.

https://www.outsideonline.com/232579...-voyage-madmen

The Race - Golden Globe Race

https://youtu.be/q7oVv9BpSrQ
Old 18-07-2018, 04:24   #2

Boat: Tiki 38
The GGR race, discussion and news

And I'll use that to remind there are also others, not taking part in the GGR but other commemorative events.
Like the Longue Route:
www.longueroute2018.com

https://youtu.be/WkGhkCxUcw4
moniia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2018, 04:37   #3

Re: The GGR race, discussion and news

http://goldengloberace.com/peche-and...-at-the-front/

Kevin Farebrother, a tough aussie ex paratrooper and mountaineer*pulled out of the Race due to not being able to sleep properly. He has climbed Everest 3 times, so it shows just how tough solo sailing can be! This leaves only one other Aussie, Mark Sinclear and his slippery Lello34 Coconut. GO MARK!

The other three have had windvanes failures, a windpilot, a hydrovane and a beau-fort. The only details I have so far is that the Beau-fort has cracked welds. They are all well respected and tested gears so I find it very surprising that they are not working, given the sea miles the boats have to jave done. Also I am surprised spare windvanes are not carried onboard.

The windpilot looked like it was hooked up to a wheel. That is never ideal. But even so it should still work ok.

Personally I'd have gone for a servo pendulum driving an auxiliary rudder. I think this would give the best course keeping and redundancy, but as far as I know no boats have gone this way.

A few boats have installed both hydrovanes and servo pendulum units. It will be interesting to get the feedback on each unit.
Old 18-07-2018, 05:33   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by moniia View Post
And I'll use that to remind there are also others, not taking part in the GGR but other commemorative events.
Like the Longue Route:
www.longueroute2018.com

https://youtu.be/WkGhkCxUcw4
Thanks, I hadn't heard about that one, very hard to follow for english speakers but it seems pretty much open to anyone with a relaxed start time and place and no real rules?

The lead boats are in a similar position to the GGR.

https://maps.sail.cloud/home/event/19

The southern ocean will be busy! Keen to hear more about this event.
Old 18-07-2018, 08:35   #5

Boat: Boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
Péché and Slats slug it out at the front - Golden Globe Race

The other three have had windvanes failures, a windpilot, a hydrovane and a beau-fort. The only details I have so far is that the Beau-fort has cracked welds. They are all well respected and tested gears so I find it very surprising that they are not working, given the sea miles the boats have to jave done. Also I am surprised spare windvanes are not carried onboard.

The windpilot looked like it was hooked up to a wheel. That is never ideal. But even so it should still work ok.

Personally I'd have gone for a servo pendulum driving an auxiliary rudder. I think this would give the best course keeping and redundancy, but as far as I know no boats have gone this way.

A few boats have installed both hydrovanes and servo pendulum units. It will be interesting to get the feedback on each unit.

Which boat had the hydrovane that failed? I think I missed that. I'm wondering if it was I new one. (Of course why would one not use a new one on an around the world race.) They have such a sterling reputation. The Monitors "keep on trucking."
Roniszoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2018, 08:51   #6

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

This is awesome. A test of man, and woman, against time and nature. It is also a test of their seamanship. This is not to take anything away from the VOR and other difficult races, but it is a testament to their individual skills and not their digitally enhanced skills. I will enjoy following their progress.

When I was in the Army I would often randomly take away some piece of equipment from my guys and often without telling them. I wanted to test their abilities in what we called the degraded mode. I also wanted to train them to recognize equipment failure and deal with it. This in a way reminds me of operating in that mode, where the fundamental skills are what keeps you alive.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2018, 09:11   #7

Boat: Catalina 470

I understand the allure of throwback racing, no electronics, no GPS, using celestial navigation, etc. But the GGR sailors are not even allowed things like iPods and digital cameras, they have to resort to tech that was available back then. For tech used to sail or navigate the boat, I agree, no problem. But I don't understand the rationale when it comes to ancillary items like the above mentioned iPods and cameras. Any thoughts?

Regardless, these are some tough guys, and they deserve lots of respect. I had the honor of meeting Sir Robin Knox Johnston (the winner of the 1968 GGR) back in 1982. I was a snot-nosed teenager, yet he allowed me onto his boat, chatted with me, and signed a copy of one of his books, which I still have to this day. Real gentleman!

Regards,
David
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2018, 09:19   #8

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25

I have owned ultralights, but my first boat was a double ended wooden ketch, because when I began sailing the rule of thumb was if you left the safety of your slip in anything else you would surely die. I used to follow all the singlehanded races and Knox-Johnston and Moitessier were some of my heroes. Heck I used to follow the America's Cup back when a renegade TV mogul could buy a 12 year old 12 Meter, hire Gary Jobson, and win the Cup. But I lost interest over the years as corporations took over and no average Joe could even participate no less win a race. I will follow the rest of this race with renewed interest and look forward to reading some books by entrants later on. My Cape George would be right at home.
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2018, 10:44   #9

Boat: BOC 50

Monitor, outstanding, rugged, Built for the Southern Ocean, I know, I've done it, 120 knockdown in the Straits of Le Maire and The Monitor just keeps on TRUCKING.
Jimroda06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2018, 11:45   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
(...)

The southern ocean will be busy! Keen to hear more about this event.

Essentially an event setup by enthusiasts for enthusiasts. Started by late Guy Bernardin (French Vendee Globe skipper), run along the lines of the original Golden Globe - start between 16 of June and 30 of September (or next year!), three capes, back to the same port above 45 degrees North Europe or America.

I'm currently fighting with delay...
Old 18-07-2018, 13:16   #11

Boat: Flicka 20

Reminds me of Donald Crowhurst. The deciding factor will not be speed but the mind. You can see it already.
CaptainJohn49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2018, 14:25   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by moniia View Post
Essentially an event setup by enthusiasts for enthusiasts. Started by late Guy Bernardin (French Vendee Globe skipper), run along the lines of the original Golden Globe - start between 16 of June and 30 of September (or next year!), three capes, back to the same port above 45 degrees North Europe or America.

I'm currently fighting with delay...
Best of luck getting to sea. I would be very happy to include any updates from the Longue Route in this thread as well.

Those Erics are fine boats. It will be interesting to see how the replica goes in the GGR, and of course yours.
Old 18-07-2018, 17:29   #13

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherchronica View Post
I have owned ultralights, but my first boat was a double ended wooden ketch, because when I began sailing the rule of thumb was if you left the safety of your slip in anything else you would surely die. I used to follow all the singlehanded races and Knox-Johnston and Moitessier were some of my heroes. Heck I used to follow the America's Cup back when a renegade TV mogul could buy a 12 year old 12 Meter, hire Gary Jobson, and win the Cup. But I lost interest over the years as corporations took over and no average Joe could even participate no less win a race. I will follow the rest of this race with renewed interest and look forward to reading some books by entrants later on. My Cape George would be right at home.
That's funny. My first boat in 1970 was a double ended ketch too. What a slug..... it was 40ft and we got beaten by a 32ft Colin Archer. Next boat was a Colin Archer. We learnt better on #3 and bought a Kiwi built one tonner and found out that boats can actually accelerate when a gust hits and not just lay over. Kevin Farebrother who has retired now from the race seems to have had a problem with his mast but did not like the Tradewind 35 very much. Sounds like he wants to sell it real cheap. Also he could not sleep down below.
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2018, 05:01   #14

Boat: Tartan 37 #6

Istvan is stopping in Cape Verdes to replace his Windpilot,I wonder what he will choose? Monitor?
Nabil has retired to Canaries after,quote, ‘violently ill and no sleep for four days ‘
Surprising how many out already.
steamgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2018, 05:04   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamgoat View Post
(...) ‘

Surprising how many out already.

No surprise there...

Tags