Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2018, 06:30   #286

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: The GGR race, discussion and news

Except that if an asking for 40' of rusting steel is USD 170k then it may be something of a challenge to provide a reasonably priced class boat based on the design. S/h Rustlers 36 are listed at 75-125k USD right now and only due to the rates inflated by the event. They used to ask 50 to 60k before. I know because I was interested for a time before I took R36 off my radar.

I read the book about ice this winter on passage to Martinique. I was so grossly disappointed. I do not know what I expected. Maybe better photography (they claim to be keen photographers there). Maybe better story too. I was repetitively pissed off by Rolf's focus on details while other things like important timelines slipped by. But I think I was just reading the book with 2018 eyes while they did their sailing in the (?) 19-eighties. It was all so much more difficult back then. No internet and no vast and deep understanding of what it takes to winter over in the Antarctic.

Glad to see the boat is fine. We crossed courses while in Auckland but I did not run into them. I think they laid up the boat and went somewhere else by plane. They did not live aboard.

I am yet to read the Tamata book. Written in French, I may be more compatible with what counted to her author too. Hopefully fewer technicalities, more soul.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2018, 06:41   #287

On the tracker, some boats of the 'upper' pack resolved to bounce back North. Others of the same pack resolved to mix up with Slats and Co..

This is interesting. I am looking and thinking why sail so low (relative to the wind) and risk tougher choices by the Cape? They know something I am missing. Or they are looking at different weather forecasts I do.

The only explanation I can think of is the developing ridge. But I would prefer to go South from one. Why stay on the N side of this ridge? Anybody?

Now and then we can see one of the boats sailing at 1 knots to nowhere. I wonder what it is. A tracker's glitch? Or they lay hove-to while sorting out something onboard perhaps. Tomy did yesterday and today another one does too.

Disappointing amount of news from the boats. Or I am not finding it. I am looking at GGR website / News. But there is hardly any news. Which is good, in proverb, but not in PR.

Too bad there is hardly any video. Or will they drop off the tapes while sailing by the Cape?

b.
Old 19-08-2018, 06:42   #288

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

^^ Time on ice is much longer with less photo's than their first book, Northern Light, might be worth hunting it down. But I like details, nothing worse than a good sailing book where the details are glossed over. I normally look at the back first and if it has a detailed set of appendixes about the boat I start there... But its quite likely I am unusual in this regard?
Old 19-08-2018, 06:54   #289

The best place to get the gossip is the soundcloud chats with the sailors. Each sailor does one a week, So you get about 2 per day. Don usually drops a few good tidbits in here and there that are not mentioned elsewhere.
Old 19-08-2018, 17:42   #290
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Is anyone keeping a tabulation or the boats and their status. I’m especially interested in the wind vane problems. But getting some data as the race emerges might be a best way to eventually draw some conclusions about what worked and what did not.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2018, 19:38   #291

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
On the tracker, some boats of the 'upper' pack resolved to bounce back North. Others of the same pack resolved to mix up with Slats and Co..

This is interesting. I am looking and thinking why sail so low (relative to the wind) and risk tougher choices by the Cape? They know something I am missing. Or they are looking at different weather forecasts I do.

The only explanation I can think of is the developing ridge. But I would prefer to go South from one. Why stay on the N side of this ridge? Anybody?

Now and then we can see one of the boats sailing at 1 knots to nowhere. I wonder what it is. A tracker's glitch? Or they lay hove-to while sorting out something onboard perhaps. Tomy did yesterday and today another one does too.

Disappointing amount of news from the boats. Or I am not finding it. I am looking at GGR website / News. But there is hardly any news. Which is good, in proverb, but not in PR.

Too bad there is hardly any video. Or will they drop off the tapes while sailing by the Cape?

b.
Its a mystery to me why the rump are behaving as they are...

The smart money at the moment is on the left wing... now reduced to Captain Coco, Kopar and Cousot.... doing exactly what anyone sailing the traditional route with no access to any weather forecasting at all would be doing....

Those that are heading for Cape Town will be finding a bit of north-going current before too long....
Old 20-08-2018, 08:55   #292
er9
cruiser

Boat: 1980 (Canning) Mariner36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
^^ Yes, she is in a maritime museum in france. There was footage of her sailing at the start of the GGR. She is well cared for.

Motessiers book 'Tamata and the Alliance' is an interesting read. A large part of the reason for the sale as I recall was that she was getting pretty rundown, and Bernard wanted a smaller, simpler and more affordable boat. He didn't have the energy left or the money to rebuild her. Giving her to a energetic young man was a good way to save her and move on.
thats interesting. i want to read all his books. just started reading 'The Long Way'. He was an interesting sailor.
er9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 09:51   #293

Boat: Sister-ship of Bernard Moitessier's Joshua

Quote:
Originally Posted by er9 View Post
thats interesting. i want to read all his books. just started reading 'The Long Way'. He was an interesting sailor.

Absolutely. During their shakedown cruise to the Pacific and back, Joshua was the ninth yacht to round Cape Horn, and only the second or third to do it without a major mishap, like a dismasting. And his crew/wife was the first woman to round Cape Horn in a Yacht. No electonics. No weather routing. Just pure seamanship.

After the race, the Joshua was one of the most popular boats in France. Meta -- the original builder -- built 70+ of them. Mine is #29. Fantastic boats, especially when the going gets rough. Our Petronella has been across the Atlantic 9 times that we know of. Hoping to cross over ourselves next spring.

I understand why they didn't want any Joshua-class boats in this race, since it's meant to be a celebration of Knox-Johnson and Suhali. The real crime is that genuine, Meta-built Joshuas will NOT be allowed in the next race! You need to buy one of the new copies. Maybe someone can explain that to me.

Old 20-08-2018, 15:20   #294

^^ Lovely. Thanks for the pictures. I love the curves Jean Knocker and Meta worked into the hull.
Old 20-08-2018, 15:44   #295

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
^^ Lovely. Thanks for the pictures. I love the curves Jean Knocker and Meta worked into the hull.

Hey, thanks. She's a work in progress, but we are gradually restoring her to ocean-crossing seaworthiness. We've already put a few thousand miles under her keel, basically on various shakedown cruises to see what breaks next ;-)

Hoping to take her on her 12th Atlantic crossing in the spring.
Old 20-08-2018, 16:11   #296

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Its a mystery to me why the rump are behaving as they are...

(...)

I think by now the answer is perhaps in the rolling grib. There is a major feature expected to roll in from W soon. I think Slats and the other guy next to him took chances to catch up with the leader a bit before the gate.

Sussie and the guy next to her decided to sit it out and let it blow by. This may cost them some big miles unless Slats and his ghost break something in the blow.

Since it is a race and beyond the Cape it will become a drag race, I would stay with Slats. But I do understand Susie and her ghost too: to finish first, first you have to finish ...

It is a long race. Twice as long in boats that are not built for downwind sailing in big swells.

b.
Old 20-08-2018, 16:25   #297

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I think by now the answer is perhaps in the rolling grib. There is a major feature expected to roll in from W soon. I think Slats and the other guy next to him took chances to catch up with the leader a bit before the gate.

Sussie and the guy next to her decided to sit it out and let it blow by. This may cost them some big miles unless Slats and his ghost break something in the blow.

Since it is a race and beyond the Cape it will become a drag race, I would stay with Slats. But I do understand Susie and her ghost too: to finish first, first you have to finish ...

It is a long race. Twice as long in boats that are not built for downwind sailing in big swells.

b.
I agree. Still early days and most of the boats will probably not finish. Gotta be sensible at this stage of the game. The approaching storm looks ugly!
jalmberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 22:47   #298
er9
cruiser

Susie has chainplate movement. Could it just be loose bolts I wonder? She made an emergency call. Haven't seen an update yet if its resolved?
Old 20-08-2018, 22:52   #299
er9
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalmberg View Post
Absolutely. During their shakedown cruise to the Pacific and back, Joshua was the ninth yacht to round Cape Horn, and only the second or third to do it without a major mishap, like a dismasting. And his crew/wife was the first woman to round Cape Horn in a Yacht. No electonics. No weather routing. Just pure seamanship.

After the race, the Joshua was one of the most popular boats in France. Meta -- the original builder -- built 70+ of them. Mine is #29. Fantastic boats, especially when the going gets rough. Our Petronella has been across the Atlantic 9 times that we know of. Hoping to cross over ourselves next spring.

I understand why they didn't want any Joshua-class boats in this race, since it's meant to be a celebration of Knox-Johnson and Suhali. The real crime is that genuine, Meta-built Joshuas will NOT be allowed in the next race! You need to buy one of the new copies. Maybe someone can explain that to me.

Very cool...thanks for sharing. It all makes me want to go back in time to 1968.
Old 21-08-2018, 00:02   #300

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
It all makes me want to go back in time to 1968.
Having spent some time aboard the "real" Joshua, I'm bloody glad to be in my current boat in the extant time frame!

Comfy she was not...

Jim

Tags
race