Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2018, 02:14   #181

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40
Re: The GGR race, discussion and news

Quote:
Originally Posted by er9 View Post
yeah but if a couple of those leaders happen to drop out due to problems it could be a great moral booster to some of the mid packers assuming they dont perish as well.
I think Mark Sinclair and Tomy have the right attitude. Just chilling and not at all fussed about being the fastest. It would be tougher for the middle pack who are in it to win it. Seeing the french pulling away would be quite dispiriting.
Old 09-08-2018, 03:14   #182

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Guys. Stop over thinking this.

Coconut has it in the bag.
Old 09-08-2018, 05:44   #183

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Guys. Stop over thinking this.

Coconut has it in the bag.
Ha, overthinking things... it is a forum, thats what forums are all about! But just secretly I think you are right, Mark is clearly going to win.

Tapio has a bit of a big issue. No engine, no solar and only the hydrogenerator for power. If he can't get one or the other working he says he will possibly stop in Capetown to sort it out. Also lost a bolt from his windvane.

Susie has lost her satellite messager. Or it is not working. It's a bit of a worry. Hope all is well on DHL Starlight.
Old 09-08-2018, 06:06   #184

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by er9 View Post
be nice to get a little more detail on whats breaking/being damaged on these panels. Would love to see a post race breakdown from every sailor detailing what went wrong, what worked, what didnt, what they woud improve, keep the same etc...

I suspect that they just aren’t getting enough juice. A lot of people calculate capacity on an even mix of sunny and cloudy days. Spend a week in cloudy conditions and your output goes through the floor.
Old 09-08-2018, 06:13   #185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
I suspect that they just aren’t getting enough juice. A lot of people calculate capacity on an even mix of sunny and cloudy days. Spend a week in cloudy conditions and your output goes through the floor.
It may well be the case, or at least a part of it. With the panel locations on the deck or cabintop even small amounts of shading will really hurt output, and the boats heeling won't help either. I am surprised they aren't carrying spare panels and a windgen.
Old 09-08-2018, 08:34   #186
er9
cruiser

Boat: 1980 (Canning) Mariner36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
Ha, overthinking things... it is a forum, thats what forums are all about! But just secretly I think you are right, Mark is clearly going to win.

Tapio has a bit of a big issue. No engine, no solar and only the hydrogenerator for power. If he can't get one or the other working he says he will possibly stop in Capetown to sort it out. Also lost a bolt from his windvane.

Susie has lost her satellite messager. Or it is not working. It's a bit of a worry. Hope all is well on DHL Starlight.
Oh thats the beginning of the end for miss pretty :P i predict she will be gone by month 5. seems water is becoming an issue as well for a couple of them. looking forward to a little more info from Don. in latest briefing he leads on about bigger problems for some of them. becoming a big fan of Ahbilash and Are.
er9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 15:48   #187

Sounds like Phillipe Peche had a big problem with his Beaufort windvane but its fixed, or at least working now. Possibly VdH also had a vane issue.

Susie is back on line, her YB was on but not transmitting or receiving. Low power. Looks like they are going to get into some weird weather. Calms, headwinds and strong cold southerlies soon.
Old 10-08-2018, 16:19   #188
er9
cruiser

Boat: 1980 (Canning) Mariner36

i like that they are keeping francesco in the loop even though he couldnt pull off an official entry in time. still looking forward to see how he does as well.
er9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 16:28   #189

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Sounds like Phillipe Peche had a big problem with his Beaufort windvane but its fixed, or at least working now. Possibly VdH also had a vane issue.

Susie is back on line, her YB was on but not transmitting or receiving. Low power. Looks like they are going to get into some weird weather. Calms, headwinds and strong cold southerlies soon.
Looks OK for the front runners.. they appear to have succesfully jumped the high pressure belt ... not so much for them a bit further north....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GGR.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	175203  
El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 16:28   #190
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Looks like they are going to get into some weird weather.
Yea, it's rather more perverse than typical.

The routing still says Slats will get trapped, but so far he has just managed to squeeze out enough speed to stay in decent flow, and it is so changeable it's hard to say if he will escape or not.

Good race
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 16:39   #191

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
I must have goofed the readings from YB. I had 3023 miles. Oops! I trust your figures more than mine.

On the issue of the Southern Ocean, do we expect the boats to speed up much for that leg? Or are they close to their daily averages already?

I know there’s more wind down there but I don’t have a feel for how the wind angles and need to stay safe are likely to affect their averages.

If they could stay in a nice NW stream life would be fine..... unfortunately there are other forces at play that make it difficult to carry lots of sail and keep up your speed... esp in a smallish boat by yourself...

I wonder if any will follow 'Ping's Infallible Rule of 1022'... doesn't win races but gives a fairly comfy ride...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GGR2.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	175204  
Old 10-08-2018, 16:42   #192

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
...I wonder if any will follow 'Ping's Infallible Rule of 1022'... doesn't win races but gives a fairly comfy ride...

That was something to do with atmospheric pressure from memory? Something you wrote about NZ to South America?

Well, if it’s about comfort I wouldn’t be surprised to see Coconut following it.
Old 10-08-2018, 18:35   #193

Boat: Garcia Passoa 50, ex Dix 38 pilothouse

Quote:
If they could stay in a nice NW stream life would be fine..... unfortunately there are other forces at play that make it difficult to carry lots of sail and keep up your speed... esp in a smallish boat by yourself...

I wonder if any will follow 'Ping's Infallible Rule of 1022'... doesn't win races but gives a fairly comfy ride...

I think youll see shorter run days int he southern ocean. With many of these racers not having expereince in heavy weather or big seas, i reckon there will be lots more things breaking and more windvane issues. Over canvassing seems to always be an issue and a steep learning curve. As Skip Novak says " there is no thing as too much wind just too much sail"

Strategy becomes about moving forward-in comfort and not breaking the boast, not big daily runs. Been there

Ping- I expect dinner and drinks when i arrive on the 6th. Would you mind cranking my heater up for me too
lamadriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 18:46   #194

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamadriver View Post
I think youll see shorter run days int he southern ocean. With many of these racers not having expereince in heavy weather or big seas, i reckon there will be lots more things breaking and more windvane issues. Over canvassing seems to always be an issue and a steep learning curve. As Skip Novak says " there is no thing as too much wind just too much sail"

Strategy becomes about moving forward-in comfort and not breaking the boast, not big daily runs. Been there

Ping- I expect dinner and drinks when i arrive on the 6th. Would you mind cranking my heater up for me too
And turn down your duvet ?

Hope to sail on the 4th ( arrive 31st, store ship 1/2nd, zarpe on 3rd...) but no plan survives first contact....

Yes 'the rule of 22' was discovered by accident.... gives you an almost 'trade wind' experience... no future in going down south chasing big winds and a shorter distance.....

Speaking of which....how are your ribs?
Old 10-08-2018, 19:06   #195

Boat: Garcia Passoa 50, ex Dix 38 pilothouse

Quote:
And turn down your duvet ?
do i get a mint on the pillow?

Quote:
Hope to sail on the 4th ( arrive 31st, store ship 1/2nd, zarpe on 3rd...) but no plan survives first contact....
tru dat so ill see you on the 6th for dinner.........

Quote:
Yes 'the rule of 22' was discovered by accident.... gives you an almost 'trade wind' experience... no future in going down south chasing big winds and a shorter distance.....

Speaking of which....how are your ribs?
recovered.... i consider that a painful school fee.
lamadriver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
race