Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2016, 18:14   #76
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Re: The Drones are here and ignoring regs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Topics like this seem to be started for the OP's personal entertainment and attention.

They're generally are not topics that raise any kind of awareness and rarely any boat significance whatsoever.
Ah...
I hate to break it to you amigo but most of these threads are started for pure entertainment purposes and have little to no significance whatsoever. Am I missing something it's the internet...have you been to Fakebook lately. Significance... relevance... resistance is futile...yet here we all are, as if it matters.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 20:09   #77

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Ah...
I hate to break it to you amigo but most of these threads are started for pure entertainment purposes and have little to no significance whatsoever. Am I missing something it's the internet...have you been to Fakebook lately. Significance... relevance... resistance is futile...yet here we all are, as if it matters.
I don't disagree with anything you just said...except that had nothing to do with our discussion about fear and feeding their self importance. I actually dabbled in Facebook recently to see what all the hoopla was about. OMG...I couldn't get clear of it fast enough. I'm sure it offers something to many people considering the Facebook numbers. I'm positive some people here are glued to it.
Admittedly, my wife is on many of them for her hobbies of sewing, horses. Suits me fine and allows me to do my thing while she does hers.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 20:24   #78

Boat: various junk

I have such units for sale if you want one, or more.

They can be virtually invisible if you turn off all but the guidance system
and set the satellite controls to "receive-only"

The ones you see in the article have sails,
which makes them visible and radar susceptible.
Unlike the models I am familiar with, which have almost zero height.
No antennas, no sails - simply nothing above the wave crests to see or image.
(unless you want to add stuff)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
These drones have very interesting possibilities for naval warfare.

They could be very stealthy!
Their RADAR signature could be "undetectable" (no metal)
Their heat signature could be "undetectable" (no engine)
Their acoustic signature could be "undetectable" (no engine or prop)
They are very small and could be painted to be hard to see.
They can carry a range of detection devices to be used as "picket duty" remote sensors, or uniquely as sensors that could move towards an enemy location, especially one where capture of any manned vessels must be avoided (Spratley Islands, etc.). Notice the many sensors in the illustration that could be used to locate Chinese submarines in the South China Sea for example.
They can carry a payload of 250 pounds (guest payload shown in the illustration).
They are unmanned, so do not risk the life or capture of a Sailor, SEAL, or Marine.
Their "cover story" for the public could be simply "oceanographic or weather research" device to track wind, weather, and currents.

And, in the days of competition for budget funding for the military services and competition for the best possible recruits, having some "high tech" drones makes a good recruiting tool for the Navy and is keeps the Navy's public image as "with the times" or even "leading edge." This can have great value to the higher ups (top brass).

And they could possibly assist in bathymetric sounding research to create more accurate charts.

In sum, pretty frickin cool as a future naval weapon (hence the DARPA connection).
expatri8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 20:40   #79

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
And there will be a reward for returning one.

Perhaps we should be thinking about how to capture them ?
Scenario.... Ok boys and girls, what happens when I run one of these over?
Don't all pile on at once....
And what if it's govt owned ?
Ever run over anything govt owned let alone tread on it?
thruska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 20:53   #80

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
I see lots of scientific sensors on the diagram but only the cameras could be used for collision avoidance. Not to worry though, since none of the cameras are facing aft it is likely to be run down from astern by a large megayacht with the crew below watching TV, sleeping, or anything but paying attention to where they were going. Last year in the Bahamas I was almost run down by a megayacht with no one at the helm. Only my evasive action saved us from being run over from astern.
A double 00 or slug load in a shotgun might have gotten their attention. Just sayin'...

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 22:10   #81

Boat: Landlocked right now.

Quote:
Skynet...

Rich, we should buy Skynet shares or sell tinfoil hats.

And your teak-deck would be have been done while you slurping your Martini...
Old 05-09-2016, 22:12   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
Is this the evolution of yachting... or intelligent design?

S/V B'Shert
Let me meditate on that.
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 22:17   #83

Quote:
You can take almost any topic and view it from the fear factor:
Life Rafts-you are not going to sink, why do you need one.
Spare parts-your stuff will not break, quite being a fear merchant.
Best way to design systems so they don't fail
What's a realistic cruising budget so we don't run out of money.
Why people spend more time preparing to cruise than most people cruise
Fear of choosing the "wrong" boat or gear.
Fear of wiring in your Autopilot wrong or not taking the right care of your water maker. Fear is healthy and makes you ask questions, think and learn for those with a healthy respect and I would say "fear" of what the sea and elements can do to you if you are ill-prepared. Heroes are not fearless, they have just learned how to conquer their fear and not let it rule them.
Very well said Rich.
Old 05-09-2016, 22:19   #84

Boat: Landlocked right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingWalkabout View Post
Let me meditate on that.
Old 05-09-2016, 22:40   #85

Quote:
I'm sure fear can also be a motivator. However it can hamper ones abilities to move forward..."paralyzed by fear". But that's not what is going on here. Topics like this, a Zika thread and yes Rich your favorite Arctic topic, plus more seem to be started for the OP's personal entertainment and attention.
I really don't believe they actually have a fear of any of it since they do not have a boat to be sailing to a place with Zika, sailing the Arctic or sailing among the drones. They're generally are not topics that raise any kind of awareness and rarely any boat significance whatsoever.
You do realize that if you sail the Arctic or Antarctic you won't have to worry about Zika. That is of course until global warming heats up everything and allows the little blood suckeres to live in the north pole.

Go ahead and abuse me. Continue making attacks on me such as I only post to draw attention to myself. Like I have said. Pathetic. I will now add, very sad.

Let's look at Zika. It's a mosquito born disease that just happens now to be in one of the most popular sailing regions of the world. I don't know how any thinking person wouldn't consider it a sensible topic for sailors. I know of one young sailing couple looking at having children in the future. Who abruptly sold their sailing boat and moved on shore. Two weeks before on one of their videos they were talking about spending another season floating around the Caribbean. It was the intelligent concern, what you would call fear, that made them sell their boat.

If by starting the thread on Zika I was able to get even just one sailor to buy mosquito netting and take other precautions then I would be very pleased indeed. But all you see is fear mongering for the purpose as you say, to draw attention to myself.

We now have floating drone craft of all shapes and sizes. Small and large, being launched into the high seas. If you don't think that is a matter of concern for thinking sailors who are, or are planning on sailing away from their port to distant shores then I have no words for you.

I will ask. Take your venomosity and bitterness somewhere else.
Old 05-09-2016, 22:45   #86

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Automated politicians? Oh, we already have them.

Yeah, but here in Oz they are all set in self-destruct mode.
Old 06-09-2016, 00:02   #87

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingWalkabout View Post
You do realize that if you sail the Arctic or Antarctic you won't have to worry about Zika. That is of course until global warming heats up everything and allows the little blood suckeres to live in the north pole.

Go ahead and abuse me. Continue making attacks on me such as I only post to draw attention to myself. Like I have said. Pathetic. I will now add, very sad.

Let's look at Zika. It's a mosquito born disease that just happens now to be in one of the most popular sailing regions of the world. I don't know how any thinking person wouldn't consider it a sensible topic for sailors. I know of one young sailing couple looking at having children in the future. Who abruptly sold their sailing boat and moved on shore. Two weeks before on one of their videos they were talking about spending another season floating around the Caribbean. It was the intelligent concern, what you would call fear, that made them sell their boat.

If by starting the thread on Zika I was able to get even just one sailor to buy mosquito netting and take other precautions then I would be very pleased indeed. But all you see is fear mongering for the purpose as you say, to draw attention to myself.

We now have floating drone craft of all shapes and sizes. Small and large, being launched into the high seas. If you don't think that is a matter of concern for thinking sailors who are, or are planning on sailing away from their port to distant shores then I have no words for you.

I will ask. Take your venomosity and bitterness somewhere else.
Well thanx for the advice but since I'm a member here I express my views the way i feel fit. I'm merely stating you have a perversity to get people going with your drama. As soon as anyone has a different opinion or view, they are attacking you.
There's nothing wrong with you bringing some awareness but it's always the same doom and gloom. I honestly feel if you have the ability to buy your dream boat and go cruising, you should. Why be another armchair narcissist.
...and if you actually knew a young family that really did sell their vessel due to Zika, then they were fools to let that kind of fear rule their lives. But based on other fantastic statements you have made elsewhere, I somehow doubt it.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 00:19   #88

Quote:
Well thanx for the advice but since I'm a member here I express my views the way i feel fit. I'm merely stating you have a perversity to get people going with your drama. As soon as anyone has a different opinion or view, they are attacking you.
There's nothing wrong with you bringing some awareness but it's always the same doom and gloom. I honestly feel if you have the ability to buy your dream boat and go cruising, you should. Why be another armchair narcissist.
...and if you actually knew a young family that really did sell their vessel due to Zika, then they were fools to let that kind of fear rule their lives. But based on other fantastic statements you have made elsewhere, I somehow doubt it.
I'm not wasting my time anymore in answering you. I will say this. While you are a member here just like everyone else. You don't have the right to attack and be outwardly nasty to another member. Did I say anything negative to you on this thread before your rudeness. No. Of course not.

Trolling a person with the aim to get a thread closed worked on another thread. Perhaps it emboldened you to try again in another thread you don't like.

By the way go and search YouTube for Monday Never.
Old 06-09-2016, 00:33   #89

Quote:
Celestialsailor - Well thanx for the advice but since I'm a member here I express my views the way i feel fit.
Wrong. This Forum has rules. Abuse towards another member is against the rules of this forum and need I say, civil society.

Quote:
As soon as anyone has a different opinion or view, they are attacking you.
That's is not the case. I have and do welcome engaging with others in healthy discussion. Even if they don't agree with me. I have never taken an alternative view as an attack.

Quote:
Why be another armchair narcissist.
Your statement here is what is called an attack. Unless you think calling someone a narcissist is an act of kindness.

Your attacks on me are so obvious and preposterous that others have even commented about them.

I have nothing more to say to you.
Old 06-09-2016, 01:15   #90
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

I always say "morning" instead of "good morning". If it was a good morning I would still be in bed instead of dealing with this stuff.

As this is a game with the same players, we are introducing an off site rule. If a post has to be deleted due to rudeness or abuse, the writer will be off site for a period of time. Its not like you dont know what your doing........ If you dont like the post or poster...what are you doing here? When tempted to attack someone, remember silence is golden---and Duct tape is silver.

Enough already.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote