Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2014, 11:32   #31
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: The Blue Pearl sinking

Good to have you all back safe.. sorry you lost the boat..
close call..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2014, 11:51   #32

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!
Re: The Blue Pearl sinking

Very sorry for the loss of your boat, but very glad that you all survived without injury.
I hope you are able to find a replacement boat soon enough.
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2014, 12:25   #33

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500

sorry for your loss and i know exactly how you feel

on reading your second posting you say there was a 3 rd owner that sailed from the med to the Caribbean and i am just wondering if yacht was originally sold by Vernicos as they are the main Beneteau for Greece Turkey and the med basically and was in a part charter / owner set up if it was sold and chartered by them they will have all the records see VERNICOS YACHTS - Yacht Sales in Greece, Recreation Travel, Charter Yacht, Mediterranean, Exclusive Dealer of Beneteau Yachts :. Greece Charter Bareboat Fully Crewed its worth a try
beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2014, 13:50   #34

Boat: Van De Stadt Excalibur 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812

Hi Spleen, Len attached a life ring to Dexter and threw him up to the crew on the rescue tanker. He timed it with a wave so that they were nearer the tanker. Perfect catch and throw. He did this after he had made sure I (Lisa) and our crew member were safely aboard the tanker. He was calm throughout the whole procedure which took two hours from the time the tanker spotted us. The conditions were horrendous and Len was key to saving our lives that night amongst others. I will be forever grateful to him.
Bluewaters2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2014, 13:54   #35

Wow, of course I am happy to hear you all made it out alive. I kept thinking of little dexter and what he thought of the whole thing. What did he think of the big boat?
Spleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2014, 14:44   #36

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Bluewaters2182,

Welcome back to CF. I am so glad you all are safe. Thank you for coming and for sharing.

Frankly, I have to say it took a great deal of courage to document the damage to Blue Pearl, when she was sinking. Utterly disastrous footage.

Be well, all of you, we wish you a speedy recovery from a highly traumatic event that you handled excellently.

Peace,
Old 23-07-2014, 15:14   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

I read the report on Sail and my initial response was, "Horrible to be "stuck by lightning twice."

Clearly your experience and preparation showed through. Congratulations to you for having a solid plan and executing it well. Going into the life raft must have been a surreal experience.

Glad you are all safe.

I hope that financial recovery is possible.

You may want to keep mum about specifics in case there is liability in this but I do have 2 questions.

1. According to the Sail article the rudder was repaired once before by you. I wonder if the issue that caused the first failure left undiscovered damage to the structure? Any ideas about that?

2. In order to understand the magnitude of the stresses, was this a downwind, following sea situation?
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2014, 15:52   #38

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

Holy cow!

Glad you are all safe.

Thanks for sharing, hopefully you will be able to return to cruising again soon.
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2014, 23:33   #39

There was an article published several years ago of a smaller Benni sailing from Hawaii to Tahiti and he had the tabbing break loose on the rear quadrant. He was fortunate in that the winds/seas were normal trades and he noticed it in the very early stages (tiller steering) He was able to drill several holes and cross brace it with twisted ropes. He slowed way down and made it to port where he had the whole area beefed up. His comments at the time were that it was lightly built.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2014, 00:10   #40

Boat: Van De Stadt Excalibur 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812

To Ex - Calif, we have never repaired the rudder ourselves. The rudder was replaced completely when it sheared off at the hull in benign conditions in October 2013. The post was intact as were the connections to the steering quadrant.

There has been an incredible amount of speculation and supposition. I am so glad we did not read the posts just after our ordeal.

To put the record straight - the boat was surveyed in 2012 (previous owner purchase) and 2013 (our purchase). It was hauled out three times by us. In January 2014 we were at Riverside boatyard and had the keel strengthened amongst other safety precautions for the crossing.

Len is a very experienced sailor and worked with sea rescue in South Africa. He was responsible for saving many lives at sea. I am extremely lucky that he was with me that night as he was calm and organised and I know I would not have made it into the life raft or onto the tanker without him. He timed the waves and instructed me to jump for my life both into the liferaft and onto the side of the tanker. He promised to save our dog and he did. There was no question in his mind that myself, our crew and the dog came first.

Lisa Rorke
Bluewaters2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2014, 02:27   #41

Bluewaters

Thanks for that very sobering video of the kind of things that can happen out there. Sorry for the loss of the boat but, glad all were rescued.

From a lesson learned stand point for others I wonder if some kind of sling could be fabricated or carried on board to support a broken rudder until repairs could be made. This would give some support to a broken rudder assembly rather than having it work its self to further damage in the waves. At the very least keeping attached to the boat minimizing water intrusion.
Old 24-07-2014, 02:36   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Bloody good job done by Len I reckon. Stayed calm and thought of all others before himself, no argument from me at all that he was both selfless and heroic. Great effort and wish you all well.

Coops.
Old 24-07-2014, 02:53   #43

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
Bluewaters

Thanks for that very sobering video of the kind of things that can happen out there. Sorry for the loss of the boat but, glad all were rescued.

From a lesson learned stand point for others I wonder if some kind of sling could be fabricated or carried on board to support a broken rudder until repairs could be made. This would give some support to a broken rudder assembly rather than having it work its self to further damage in the waves. At the very least keeping attached to the boat minimizing water intrusion.
I think this is the wrong approach entirely. Rather than carrying a mickey mouse patch for this sort of situation, it would be FAR more useful to beef up the rudder structure so that a patch would never be required. After all, the vast majority of boats' rudders don't fail in this manner, even in severe sea conditions. The engineering isn't so demanding, nor is the shipwright skill needed to accomplish the augmentation. While one is about it, might as well make that aft bulkhead watertight and reduce the chance of sinking even more should rudder damage pop up.

Meanwhile, I too laud this skipper's responses to a deadly situation: well done, mate!

Jim
Old 24-07-2014, 03:07   #44
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
Bloody good job done by Len I reckon. Stayed calm and thought of all others before himself, no argument from me at all that he was both selfless and heroic. Great effort and wish you all well.

Coops.
+2

having had a similar experince whilst crossing the atlantic,cracked skeg,with hull fractures either side and taking on water with every movement of the rudder,nothing more sobering than seeing blue water spurting through the hull!

we however have watertight bulkheads so there was no chance of the boat sinking even when the aft compartment filled to the waterline.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2014, 03:11   #45

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

Bluewaters, I was saddened to hear of the sinking of Blue Pearl, but very happy to hear all on board had been safely rescued. It sounds like you did a fine job of both preparation & action under an extremely stressful situation. Thank you for coming back here to CF to offer your descriptions of what occurred.

I truly believe you can prepare for any number of emergencies and do everything right, but there will always be something which can sneak up and kick you in the azz.

I am sorry to hear you took such a financial hit, but hope you can get back to a calmer sea sometime soon.
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote