Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2014, 15:26   #31
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Taleisin for sale

One thing is for sure - once sold the boat will break there hearts when (not if!) it ends up in the hands of someone who does not understand how much work and skill and knowledge is required to keep lots of wood in top condition.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 21:08   #32

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
The Pardeys sailed the oceans when few others were. It was done with celestial navigation and rudimentary tools. The average metrosexual sailor today would never be able to even contemplate doing the voyages they pulled off given their tools. There were no Ipads,GPS,computers of any sorts plus they did it all without a motor or electrical systems.
I read many of their books and like others I was captivated by their adventures, their stories more than anything else got me out there. I never measured up as while I did use a sextant as GPS wasn't around I still liked electricity but I was for the first time in my life a minimalist of sorts and really enjoyed it.
Like others here I have no interest in wood boats but I wish them well in getting top dollar for their boat as I do any cruiser and I also wish them well in the coming years.
Sounds like the perfect boat for you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
One thing is for sure - once sold the boat will break there hearts when (not if!) it ends up in the hands of someone who does not understand how much work and skill and knowledge is required to keep lots of wood in top condition.
...ain't that the truth!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 22:09   #33

Its far from the perfect boat for me, I'm too old and too tall and too lazy to keep a woody up (no pun intended) but I do appreciate others who have the skills and desire to take something like this on.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 22:10   #34

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38 cutter

I'm thinking the only folks that should have the privilege of assessing the merit and value of the Pardey contribution to sailing should be the those who have actually sailed across an ocean. Every other daydreamer should just say thanks. I'm hoping it's not a health issue. I'm hoping they just got sick of listening to this sort of tripe. Being a definite fan and admirer of these two exceptional human beings. All I can say is , Thanks.
Krogensailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 22:20   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Because other's opinions do not agree with yours does not make them tripe. Nobody has the patent on being right. Except for me and those that agree with me of course.

Coops.
Old 14-01-2014, 22:40   #36
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krogensailor View Post
I'm thinking the only folks that should have the privilege of assessing the merit and value of the Pardey contribution to sailing should be the those who have actually sailed across an ocean. Every other daydreamer should just say thanks. I'm hoping it's not a health issue. I'm hoping they just got sick of listening to this sort of tripe. Being a definite fan and admirer of these two exceptional human beings. All I can say is , Thanks.

I didn't see anyone on this thread "assess the merit and value of the Pardey contribution to sailing", or anything like it. Did I miss something?

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 23:09   #37

Tripe definition; "Something discard able or of little worth"
such as
"for a small old enginless boat and that no one is ripped off by being stupid enough to buy a boat beacuse of the previous owners abilities"
"I think they learnt from the first one and put an engine in this one"

P.T. Barnum (spelling?) quote applies about someone being born every minute.

A 40 yr old wood boat sparsely outfitted, even in great condition, isn't worth much. If it wasn't for the name associated with it, you would be lucky to get $10k for it.

They just did it and celestial was the way everybody did it. No big deal. It's not a black art.

A price like that sounds like "entitlement" to me. Can't stand that.

I appreciate the fact that these are just other peoples opinions, and I mean the individuals no disrespect. But not everything that falls from our mouths is of great worth. Certainly not mine in any case. But I, like them , am entitled to my opinions. And I find some of these comments discardable and a few just plain unworthy. And it'd my bet that most of the commentors, good or bad have never been more than a hundred miles from land. These two people are at the top of our food chain and deserve some respect. They are in fact "entitled". They have earned that respect for accomplishing many of the dreams to which so many here aspire. So as as happened before you are not that taken with my choice of words, and I can see your point. But as you say, we all have our opinions, and we are who and how we are. At least I wasn't trying to be "witty" this time.
Old 14-01-2014, 23:19   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

I respect and admire them too. I also respect and admire a couple of fellow poms, man and wife, who I met out here in Australia. They sailed out from England in the late 60's and lived for 12 years on their home built timber boat, 24' in length, on the way.

I can relate a story of them meeting Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton on their "ship" which is both amazing and funny. They got here and built a 33' for much more comfort and carried on cruising. They have just as much to be admired and respected about as anybody, but nobody has heard of them, should they not be valued as equally worthy because of that?

Coops.
Old 14-01-2014, 23:29   #39

Yes and no. They obviously did some great sailing but they did not write about it. Writing a book is in itself a great acomplishment much less several.
Old 14-01-2014, 23:33   #40

Of course they are valued and worthy. As is anyone who accomplishes thier dreams and goals. Me thinks your missing my point. Such language as , "Entitlement, can't stand that", or the vague inference about sucker being born, or "be lucky to get $10k for it", or just plain uninformed as in," They have an engine in this one". That one might be 'stupid" for paying for such famous vessel. These are the comments that I call tripe. They're unworthy and discardable. I have friends, mentors, that have crossed oceans and if I had the slightest bit of info that they might be selling thier vessel due to health reasons, how much they got for it would be at the bottom of my list of things i'de need to know..
Old 15-01-2014, 00:04   #41

Boat: Seawind 1200 TEC 3

Maybe I am way off the mark here but I reckon the greater majority of people worldwide that own boats ,sailing or power,have never heard of the Pardeys and their boat.Personally I have been boating for about 35 years and had not heard of them until I came to this forum.Done some research and now a bit wiser to their exploits .
Not to detract from whatever they have achieved but sometimes in sports,individual pursuits ,entertainment and even the working world certain people attain celebrity status but outside those circles of fans etc they are totally unknown.
The Pardy boat just because owned by someone supposedly/possibly/maybe well known in a minority pastime is worth no more than any other of the same age or condition whatever that may be.However there are enough overpriced boats in the market that this one will not make a drop of difference and the market will only pay what it will pay.
Chris
Mirage Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 00:33   #42

I can't wait for the thread to be started by a potential buyer, seeking advise on the purchase of this beautiful wooden sailing vessel. If what has been said in this thread is a reflection of what may come, the next will be a doozie.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 00:41   #43
Sos

Boat: Woods Flica catamaran

They are "Entitled" to sell their boat for what price they want and to whoever!
Good luck to them.
Sos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 00:42   #44
cruiser

There is this not very well known sport called "ultra-marathon" running. Its an insane sport where a marathon is just a warmup and these "ultra-marathon" runners train and race over distances of 100, 200, 300 and more miles and more, and they do it NON-STOP.
Anyway, there is one Ultra-Marathoner called Dean Karnazez (sic?), and while he is a very good ultra-marathoner and has won some important races, he is not the best there is, or even in the top 10. BUT - he was a groundbreaker in that he wrote a book called "Ultramarathon Man" which became a besteller and had him appearing on talkshows like Letterman etc.
Because he became well known, famous in his field, and yes - rich, he earnt the ire of the better but lesser known Ultra-runners. They bytch and moan about him, call him an opinionated bigshot and all those things - but here is the thing: HE IS THE ONE THAT PUT HIMSELF OUT THERE, WROTE A BOOK, PROMOTED HIMSELF, GOT ON THE TALKSHOWS, AND MADE HIMSELF SOME GOOD MONEY DOING WHAT HE LOVED.

Do you see what I am getting at?
LBW399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 01:05   #45

Sure I see what your getting at although I'm not sure the Pardeys made themselves rich. These days everyone is an internet expert but ask yourself this question: How many of our forum experts has the balls and abilities to build a wooden boat from scratch 24 feet long and then sail it around the world double handed without any weather routing or grib files or whatever. All navigating from celestial only. No guide books written showing every anchorage and the GPS coordinates. No watermakers, fridges,solar panels or engines or 90% of the stuff people talk about on this forum.
So ya those Pardeys really did do some cool stuff that people still talk about to this day plus they wrote about it in some excellent books.
Yes there are lots of naysayers, there always are you know, for every winner there are thousands of losers.

Tags
for sale, sale