Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2014, 12:32   #106

Boat: IP32 ~Whimsy~
Re: Taleisin for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Just for perspective, here is the last Bent Jesperson I know of to be on the market around here. He is widely considered to be the finest active wooden boat builder on the west coast (perhaps in the world). The boat sold for less than the asking here. Note the many differences, yet the similar price tag. This boat blows Taleisin out of the water, but costs about the same. She probably has at least 50k worth of sails alone. The builder is a far more renowned craftsman than Larry Pardey. Has all the bells and whistles, including a nice engine. I too hope they get their asking price, but it doesn't seem plausible.

1993 Jespersen Custom Cold Molded Schooner Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

the Magic image page featuring the work done by jespersen boat builders
I saw Magic up close and personal out in WA last year. She is a beauty, that's for sure. I was mesmerized!
angelfish2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2014, 13:22   #107

A strap-on electric drive pod?

(or one with a suction cup, and integral battery, like model boats use!)

Shame not to use a fine boat, purely for the lack of some way of proceeding in a calm...

(ON EDIT: yes I know, suction cups and lapstrake are hardly a match made in heaven. Ve make ze choke, yes ? ... )
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2014, 13:44   #108

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post

And note this: i believe anyone who now takes an enginless boat on a round the world cruise without electricty for GPS, AIS and electronic charting is doing so in an UNSAFE and selfish manner. selfish because other users of the ocean now have an expectation that boats know where the hell they are acurately and display same on AIS.
I personally wouldn't put an AIS near my boat with a 10 foot pole, any more than I would put a transponder in my car. Broadcast my position to the world? No way.

It's not unsafe or selfish to elect to do without every new whiz-bang gizmo that is made available as long as one practices good seamanship.
flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2014, 14:20   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash View Post
I personally wouldn't put an AIS near my boat with a 10 foot pole, any more than I would put a transponder in my car. Broadcast my position to the world? No way.

It's not unsafe or selfish to elect to do without every new whiz-bang gizmo that is made available as long as one practices good seamanship.
I don't personally mind broadcasting my position, but I fully endorse the closing sentiment.

Those who wish to turn sailing into yet another arena for "anything you can spend, I can spend better" might consider a long walk on a short wharf while they ponder exactly who is responsible for their 'expectations'.
Old 30-04-2014, 14:31   #110

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

I would graft a jetski to the stern to give some power, and get rid of the mast and get a kite, and a cool vinyl wrap with a whale or something.
Old 30-04-2014, 14:32   #111
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Taleisin for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Troup View Post
A strap-on electric drive pod?

(or one with a suction cup, and integral battery, like model boats use!)

Shame not to use a fine boat, purely for the lack of some way of proceeding in a calm...

(ON EDIT: yes I know, suction cups and lapstrake are hardly a match made in heaven. Ve make ze choke, yes ? ... )
Learn to scull.. remember a 60 odd year old guy used to scull his 50ft Tehini in and outa anchorages and ports..
An art the Pardey's never mastered by all accounts..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2014, 14:52   #112

150 years ago, it was considered "Good Seamanship" to sail without red/green navigation lights at night.

Refusing to spend $500 to install an AIS transponder puts other sailors at unnecessary collision risk. Hard to see how this is good seamanship.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2014, 15:05   #113
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Taleisin for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
150 years ago, it was considered "Good Seamanship" to sail without red/green navigation lights at night.

Refusing to spend $500 to install an AIS transponder puts other sailors at unnecessary collision risk. Hard to see how this is good seamanship.
Considering how many choose to use the 'invisible' mode.. makes your statement pointless.. and.. ships/boats have always shown lights at night in one form or the other.. unless they were up to no good.. makes one wonder about invisible AIS..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2014, 15:37   #114

Quote:

Only on warships, and only when at war
Old 30-04-2014, 15:39   #115

And warships still reserve the right not to broadcast their position on AIS, so perhaps even those paragons of unselfishness, a subset of contributors to this thread, might still want to keep looking out those 'window' thingies.
Old 30-04-2014, 16:08   #116

In 1839 the US first required steamships to carry "one or more" signal lights at night (no color or visibility standard) The requirement for color navigation lights in the US came in 1889 (UK in 1849). I imagine there were people who argued against colored lights then as "gizmos"

Warships don't have to use AIS or display navigation lights so looking out the window may not help much - but I don't think we're talking about a collision risk with a fully manned warship.
Old 30-04-2014, 16:20   #117
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:

That's ridiculous. I have one close friend who has $800 into his boat. Should he too spend $500 for AIS? Or should the plebe just not be allowed to leave the dock?

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2014, 16:47   #118

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad torrence View Post
...Pardey's boat...You could add an engine for what $15k?
Don't kid yourself.

First, where would you locate an engine in a boat designed and built to have no engine? And a new engine costs nearly $10,000. Where will you find a yard to install fuel tanks, deck fills, engine beds, prop, shaft, shaft log, cutless bearing, bilge blower, engine controls, etc, etc, plus install engine and instrument panel and the associated electrical capacity, for $5,000?

Not a chance.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2014, 16:49   #119

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

It's very unlikely you will ever hit a warship at night. I was on a private fishing boat in the middle of the night and we got hailed by a warship, they told us to change course for a few miles to avoid them. They turned their lights on briefly and we went "oh, there's a ship out there!".
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2014, 17:41   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
That's ridiculous. I have one close friend who has $800 into his boat. Should he too spend $500 for AIS? Or should the plebe just not be allowed to leave the dock?
I don't see how the price of a boat has anything to do with a captain's responsibility to the safety of other vessels and their crews. And if it's ridiculous to carry a $500 AIS on an $800 boat, is it also ridiculous to carry a $600 EPIRB? A $250 VHF radio? $100 for charts? How about $50 in flares? $30 for a horn?

And my comment wasn't about whether someone is permitted to leave the dock. It's whether a captain can consider it good seamanship to not equip a cruising sailboat with AIS. Ten years ago, sure. But not today.

I also apologize for this thread drift. This has nothing to do with Taleisin. I'll drop it.

Tags
for sale, sale