Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2014, 19:15   #91

Re: Taleisin for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkindredpdx View Post
Only reason I'd pay more is cuz I'd trust them to "do the right thing" when having her built or executing repairs.
You make a good point. Actually the situation with Taleisin* is better again.

Larry didn't "have her built"; he built her.

I reckon the very best boats in the world are the ones built by blue-water sailors, experienced, fussy, impossible pricks who happen to also be gifted boatbuilders, for their own use, for the rest of their days on the water.

Nobody could ever afford for a professional to put so much of their genius and flair, deep reflection and wholesale commitment ("skin-in-the-game") into building a boat.

And the joy and fulfilment, which brings out the best in a creative person, is surely never as great as when they are building for someone whose needs they not only agree with but understand perfectly. Not to mention, sleep with ...
(Click on the thumbnail below to get a better feel for the workmanship - an acquaintance who was on board recently reported the joints still look like they came out of a German concert piano)

*(which I mis-spelled in my previous post out of habit, because in other contexts I've always seen it spelled Taliesin, eg Frank Lloyd Wright studio, the Book of Taliesin, etc). Maybe the Pardeys were better sailors than spellors !(sic)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Building Taleisin.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	76016  
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 19:38   #92

Boat: Catalina 30

Anybody know how much Bumfuzzle sold for?
jongleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 19:55   #93

Boat: Able 50

Bumfuzzle sold for $75,000
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 20:19   #94

When you consider the skill of the craftsmen to complete the build of a wooden boat. How many man hours would it take .? What would the hourly rate be given it should be built in a western economic country. Without looking to deep I would guess 2 or closer to 3rd that of a plastic boat.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2014, 10:31   #95

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
When you consider the skill of the craftsmen to complete the build of a wooden boat. How many man hours would it take .? What would the hourly rate be given it should be built in a western economic country. Without looking to deep I would guess 2 or closer to 3rd that of a plastic boat.
One of my favorite places for eye candy is WoodenBoat Magazine | WoodenBoat, Small Boats, MotorBoats, Getting Started in Boats, and Professional BoatBuilder with articles by builders documenting the care and details. They have classified section for Free Boats and a Save a Classic Section because most people can't afford to rehab a 40+yr old 50-60' wooden boat. But I believe classic workmanship can be constructed of wood, formed in plastic, or welded. And I'm sure we have folk right here on the forum that can attest to the time,expense, and details of building or rebuilding.
Old 13-02-2014, 11:13   #96

Boat: Valiant 40

Here's a nice little wooden boat for $260k. And being 139 years old she's probably had a few refits along the way:

1875 Bristol Channel Pilot Cutter gaff cutter Sail Boat For Sale -
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2014, 12:37   #97

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28

I just read all 96 posts and I estimate the pro/con debate to be 50%/50% which would suggest to me that the Pardeys may have nailed this one perfectly.
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2014, 13:44   #98

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by endoftheroad View Post
I just read all 96 posts and I estimate the pro/con debate to be 50%/50% which would suggest to me that the Pardeys may have nailed this one perfectly.
It's important to note that the 50% who think the price is about right are saying that it's about right for somebody else to pay, not themselves. So that makes the pro/con that really matters at 0%/50%.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2014, 14:07   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
It's important to note that the 50% who think the price is about right are saying that it's about right for somebody else to pay, not themselves. So that makes the pro/con that really matters at 0%/50%.
Both groups are talking about what they think others should pay, or might pay.

So it seems to me neither group "really matters" in any meaningful way.

In any case, the vendors are not trying to sell it forum posters.

And they're not trying to sell it to any statistical group.

If a single person who wants the boat thinks the price is right, and they have the dosh, then the price is right.
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2014, 15:21   #100

Boat: Down East Yachts, Downeaster 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
Here's a nice little wooden boat for $260k. And being 139 years old she's probably had a few refits along the way:

1875 Bristol Channel Pilot Cutter gaff cutter Sail Boat For Sale -
Holy cow! My boat's just a baby!
Downeaster 38 #40
"Downeast Yachts - More sailing per mile since 1975"
Argyle38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2014, 14:48   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Just for perspective, here is the last Bent Jesperson I know of to be on the market around here. He is widely considered to be the finest active wooden boat builder on the west coast (perhaps in the world). The boat sold for less than the asking here. Note the many differences, yet the similar price tag. This boat blows Taleisin out of the water, but costs about the same. She probably has at least 50k worth of sails alone. The builder is a far more renowned craftsman than Larry Pardey. Has all the bells and whistles, including a nice engine. I too hope they get their asking price, but it doesn't seem plausible.

1993 Jespersen Custom Cold Molded Schooner Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

the Magic image page featuring the work done by jespersen boat builders
I think that is the cold molded schooner Magic. I've been on both boats. Magic seemed bigger. Both were built to a similar standard. Both are incredible, beautiful boats. If you look at cruising boats of high quality and similar displacement, you see the Crealock 37 and Island Packet 35. In good condition those boats would sell for this price and above. Keep in mind the Pardey's boat is essentially as-new. You could add an engine for what $15k?
brad torrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2014, 14:50   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
And that stat would apply for any unsold boat.
brad torrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2014, 15:09   #103
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Hunter 36-80-82 Wanderer

$4,000 would be a good price,$6,ooo would be a high price.An opinion is like an *******,everybody has one.
wanderer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2014, 05:01   #104

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad torrence View Post
And that stat would apply for any unsold boat.
Obviously, but my point is that talk is cheap so lots of folks nodding in agreement that any particular price is reasonable means very, very little until one of them feels so strongly about the good value to be had that he actually withdraws his own hard earned money out of the bank and exchanges it for the boat. THAT is the only really meaningful commentary that the price was reasonable. So far, that hasn't happened.

I've been aboard a couple of times and have all the admiration in the world for the incredible craftsmanship that's on display everywhere, and what the Pardeys accomplished, but except for a wealthy collector, I can't see anyone who would pay that kind of money for such a simple boat, no matter how finely finished the interior is or how precisely the deck was fitted. The sort of person who would want a lifestyle similar to the Pardey's would probably also be like the Pardey's in that they would want to build their own boat just the way THEY wanted it to be.

There are a lot of very finely finished wooden boats out there, a couple of which have been linked to in this thread, and they are much more practical and much better equipped, but sold for significantly less than the Pardey's asking price. Maybe, after all they've done for the cruising lifestyle, Cruising World magazine or some other entity that has benefited greatly from there being more cruisers out there should step forward and pay them close to their asking price? Or an art collector? Maybe an eccentric California trustafarian will decide it's the perfect vehicle to help get in touch with his inner self, but he'll quickly learn that you can't buy what made the Pardey's so special, and then what would become of Taleisin? Since I feel that an actual cruiser who will continue using Taleisin as she's been used is unlikely to step forward with the asking price, I'm afraid the best we can hope for is a rich collector. It'll certainly be interesting to find out!
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2014, 07:01   #105
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad torrence View Post
I think that is the cold molded schooner Magic. I've been on both boats. Magic seemed bigger. Both were built to a similar standard. Both are incredible, beautiful boats. If you look at cruising boats of high quality and similar displacement, you see the Crealock 37 and Island Packet 35. In good condition those boats would sell for this price and above. Keep in mind the Pardey's boat is essentially as-new. You could add an engine for what $15k?

I'm guessing you'd actually be hard pressed to put an engine in Taleisin for 15k. She was built from scratch without one, no shaft log. Which brings me to my other point-even if she was "like new" (which no older plank on frame boat is), she is still a carvel planked boat. Nobody builds that way anymore for good reasons. Why would anyone shell out that kind of cash for a carvel planked boat when they can get a beautiful cold molded work of art like Magic for less? Plus, I'm guessing Larry would flip out on you if you even suggested putting an engine in his boat...

She belongs in Mystic Seaport or somewhere similar. A museum. Would draw in the rubes and be properly maintained.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
for sale, sale